Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you feel brave?

Do you feel brave?

Old Apr 18th 2006, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you feel brave?

This afternoon when I went to pick the children from the school, one of my friend said to me I so admire you for doing what you are doing, you are so brave, she said she wished she had the gut to do it.
I said, I dont think I'm brave, its something we always wanted to do, I might be so stupid for dragging my family to the otherside of the world and they might hate it.
So do you feel brave for immigrating?
I dont see the big deal other people are making out of it for me, I'm not brave I'm just doing something I always on wanted to do since I was 15, when I did assignment on Australia.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you feel brave?

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
This afternoon when I went to pick the children from the school, one of my friend said to me I so admire you for doing what you are doing, you are so brave, she said she wished she had the gut to do it.
I said, I dont think I'm brave, its something we always wanted to do, I might be so stupid for dragging my family to the otherside of the world and they might hate it.
I dont see the big deal other people are making out of it for me, I'm not brave I'm just doing something I always on wanted to do since I was 15, when I did assignment on Australia.

I feel the same. It's just something I've always wanted to do, so I don't consider it brave either.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 6:31 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I felt brave returning to England after living in Australia since child hood. I didn't think so much at the time, but now that it is nearly 7 years on and I am so homesick, I realise that I was quite brave to leave my family behind and head back to a country I had last lived in aged 8
Of course, I don't feel so brave now, especially since we are about to start the whole visa process for my fiance! All the packing up and closing up of everything over here! Looking forward to being back in Perth but not looking forward to all the stress that will pre-cede it.

Anyone moving there (with or without children) deserves a pat on the back. You might be doing something you've always dreamed of, but at the end of the day, you ARE taking a brave step!

Good Luck to you all
Old Apr 18th 2006, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

I've had friends saying the same, "you're so brave. I don't think I could do it."
Well neither did I 3 months ago! Unlike you it's not something I've always dreamed of doing. Ivan got offered a job in Feb & my initial reaction was 'no way! I couldn't leave my family/friends'. BUT the seed had been planted, I started to look into it, gave it lots of thought, couldn't get it off my mind actually & decided that although it would be hard to leave my family my main priority is my immediate family ( DH & DD) and what a much better lifestyle it would be for us as a family. So we are now waiting for our visa!
I think people think we're brave because of how quickly it's all moving. 3 months ago it hadn't crossed our minds & now our visa could be here in 6 weeks :scared:
Leigh
Old Apr 18th 2006, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

LindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really nice

I dont feel brave either, again just something always wanted to do, If at the end of the day we dont get the YES then life goes on. Just looking at it from the point of view of moving again but further away.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 7:57 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Same as you - lots of people kept telling me how brave I was and I didn't especially feel it at all.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 8:01 pm
No longer waiting....

crawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wmoore
Same as you - lots of people kept telling me how brave I was and I didn't especially feel it at all.
Ditto!
Old Apr 18th 2006, 10:27 pm
yeah but no but

glennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of light

I think people say brave but really mean guts - I don't feel brave by uping sticks and moving but I think all of us on this forum are blessed with having the guts to go ahead and live our lives the way we want and where we want. We're not afraid of change - I think this is what people really mean when they say brave.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 11:58 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough we were talking about just this yesterday: we were saying that coming to Oz permanently and selling up in the UK was a very big step to take at our age - mid sixties.

But then we haven't got the problem of finding jobs or schooling - I reckon it's a lot more stressfull for those in their 20s and 30s for that reason.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 12:35 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

After doing the emigration thing, I'd definitely say that it takes some serious balls to see it through and actually do it.

Either that, or an incredible amount of stupidity
Old Apr 19th 2006, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We had so many people say the same to us as soon as they new we were emigrating to Australia - "OMG you are so brave". It got to us after a while as we did not feel 'brave', we just knew it was an opportunity we could not miss. They also said, "We thought about doing this a few years back but didn't have the nerve/chance" That really surprised us how many of our life long friends said that!

Like someone else said, it does take a certain amount of 'guts' especially leaving close family and friends, that is, and I'm sure, always will be the hardest part for me to deal with. But, it was the right decision and really dont regret it at all - glad we took life by the balls

Gill
Old Apr 19th 2006, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

I didnt feel brave when i moved out here with my then boyfriend 6 years ago, just going for an adventure and a good time, unsure of what lay ahead of me. I think i was very naive at the time I now feel very brave (or stupid not sure which yet) about heading back to live in the UK with now husband and 2 children :scared:
Old Apr 19th 2006, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Betty Boot
I didnt feel brave when i moved out here with my then boyfriend 6 years ago, just going for an adventure and a good time, unsure of what lay ahead of me. I think i was very naive at the time I now feel very brave (or stupid not sure which yet) about heading back to live in the UK with now husband and 2 children :scared:

Well, ones things for sure, it will be very, very different
If its the right thing for you then do it - you can always came back again like so many do!

We have friends that came, went back, now they are coming here again - so there you go!

Old Apr 19th 2006, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by leigh&ivan
I've had friends saying the same, "you're so brave. I don't think I could do it."
Well neither did I 3 months ago! Unlike you it's not something I've always dreamed of doing. Ivan got offered a job in Feb & my initial reaction was 'no way! I couldn't leave my family/friends'. BUT the seed had been planted, I started to look into it, gave it lots of thought, couldn't get it off my mind actually & decided that although it would be hard to leave my family my main priority is my immediate family ( DH & DD) and what a much better lifestyle it would be for us as a family. So we are now waiting for our visa!
I think people think we're brave because of how quickly it's all moving. 3 months ago it hadn't crossed our minds & now our visa could be here in 6 weeks :scared:
Leigh
Our situation was the same. Husband got offered a job beginning of December. By mid-Feb (2.5mths later) we were out here.

I did loads of research etc but nothing could prepare me for the way I am feeling right now It all moved so fast that I never had time to REALLY think it through. I think if we'd gone through the normal process, with all the time that takes, then I would have had time to come to terms with what we were doing instead of just getting swept along with husband's excitement
Old Apr 19th 2006, 11:30 am
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

I was told the same thing when I moved to England in 95. I bought a one ticket to london, brought one suitcase and just under 400 pounds and a place to stay for a week. Still to this day people still say how brave I was SO BRAVE.

Now that I have decided go back after all this time, I am starting to hear the oh you are so brave, I couldn't sell my house and quit my job. I have thought about this and replied that if you wanted something really badly, you woudn't hestitate - whatever it is that you wanted. Now it makes me laugh when people say that.

They also ask aren't you worried that you won't find a job, what if you hate it, won't you miss it here?

My theory is that because you know that you won't be able to fall back on the family if things go wrong, you know you can't claim huge amounts of benefits should you not find a job; it motivates you to find a job, home etc to ensure it does work as you don't have any choice. It is either you get it sorted quickly, or you end up on the street. I think for those relocating, failure is not an option as because they are so motivated to start a new life, they do get things sorted - well for most people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.