Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you ever lose your British accent? Do you need too?!

Do you ever lose your British accent? Do you need too?!

Old Jul 27th 2004, 7:12 am
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough
Default Do you ever lose your British accent? Do you need too?!

Hi there,
Just wondered whether people have started to take on a local Aussie accent. I still get people turning around in shops to have a look at the pommy when they hear me speak. Also as I look young for my age (26) so people always assume I am a backpacker!

I can just imagine in 50 years time people still calling me a pommy bastard and asking how my holiday is going! (in the nicest possible way!).

Last edited by joninoxford; Jul 27th 2004 at 7:14 am.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Well, living in Townsville, am sure your imagination will be reality

Why u living there...u into crock hunting ?

well am scottish....but certainly dont see it fading judging by the fewllow scots i have met her. They have no aussie twang at all!!
Old Jul 27th 2004, 7:44 am
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough

I'm in Townsville because my Aussie girlfriend got a job at James Cook University, and we decide to try and make ago of it for the life experience... Lovely place but no bloody jobs so I think we will head back to Melbourne sometime soon!
Old Jul 27th 2004, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I have met lots of Poms out here that have been here for 5 yrs plus. None of them have lost their accents and you can recognise them a mile off!

Even the South Africans still speak with the same accent. I think your accent may often a bit but that is about it!
Old Jul 27th 2004, 10:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Us southerners tend to lose them easier than the northerners - they seem to still be as broad as ever after 30 or 40 years!
Old Jul 27th 2004, 10:23 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

I think you do lose it slightly but just dont recognise it.

After I had been in Scotland a few years all my scottish mates used to say I had an aussie accent but any time I phoned backed to OZ the rellies would say how scottish I sounded.

Now after 24 years away from OZ and also having a scottish hubby, I sound pure scots.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 10:24 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

forgot to say, it also depends on the age that you move.

The younger you are the more likely you are to lose your original accent.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 10:25 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Takes me about 3 days to adopt a garbled aussie-english accent whenever I'm in Oz. After a year in an outback town, most people passing through thought I was an aussie.

On the other hand, it also takes me about 3 days to lose any traces of an aussie accent and revert to pom!
Old Jul 27th 2004, 10:27 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Aye oop ise reckon that be riyte.
Seriously, I know couples from Liverpool, Manchester/Salford, Teesside and Dorset, all have been here for 30+ yrs [10 pound poms] all still have accents easily recognised as U.K dialects
They came over as adults, though one couple brought teenagers and they have no accent other than Australian. I guess if you go to school here you loose the accent more easily.

Originally posted by Pollyana
Us southerners tend to lose them easier than the northerners - they seem to still be as broad as ever after 30 or 40 years!
Old Jul 27th 2004, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Try being married ot a kiwi, living there 2yrs then coming to Aus...i never know what accent is going to spring out when i speak these days ...
Old Jul 27th 2004, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bundy
Takes me about 3 days to adopt a garbled aussie-english accent whenever I'm in Oz. After a year in an outback town, most people passing through thought I was an aussie.

On the other hand, it also takes me about 3 days to lose any traces of an aussie accent and revert to pom!
my sister is the same - she lives in the bush and has no hint of an English accent (after 15 years in Oz...think she willingly lost the accent after about 2 years!!)

I have a Melburnian mate staying with us in the UK at the moment (arrived yesterday) and already I can feel my intonation rising at the end of each sentence!!!
Old Jul 27th 2004, 11:16 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been working in a nursing home where many residents are poms who've been here 30plus years, I think there are about 30 and they bear out Pollys theory, the northerners (midlands upwards) have all retained their accents but the southerners tend to sound ausie. One lady who has been here for38 years came from the same place as me and sounds brummier than most brummies i know!
Old Jul 27th 2004, 12:10 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh god, I hope not !

I never want to lose my sophisticated mockney Essex accent.

(tongue firmly in cheek)
Old Jul 27th 2004, 12:11 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by joninoxford
I'm in Townsville because my Aussie girlfriend got a job at James Cook University, and we decide to try and make ago of it for the life experience... Lovely place but no bloody jobs so I think we will head back to Melbourne sometime soon!

You'll be okay in Melbourne: they all sound English to me.

Cheers
Alistair (a Welshman with a hint of Cockney)
Old Jul 27th 2004, 12:32 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HiddenPaw

I have a Melburnian mate staying with us in the UK at the moment (arrived yesterday) and already I can feel my intonation rising at the end of each sentence!!!

I know what you mean, I lived in Lincoln for many years and whenever I am with people with a northern-type accent I feel myself slipping back into the "eh up duck"-type accent!

It's strange....

Unfortunately I know have a definite "kentish" accent, and am looking forward to dropping it in favour of an aussie twang

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.