Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you ever get used to Aussie Christmases?

Do you ever get used to Aussie Christmases?

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

MissyB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do you ever get used to Aussie Christmases?

This will be my 5th xmas in Oz and I am still not used to xmas being in Summer, I saw mince pies in Coles the other day and got confused til I realised 'oh yeah, it's nearly xmas!'

I don't miss much about the UK but do feel more homesick around the festive season. Anyone else feel the same or do you enjoy a sunny xmas?
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:13 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you ever get used to Aussie Christmases?

Originally Posted by MissyB
This will be my 5th xmas in Oz and I am still not used to xmas being in Summer, I saw mince pies in Coles the other day and got confused til I realised 'oh yeah, it's nearly xmas!'

I don't miss much about the UK but do feel more homesick around the festive season. Anyone else feel the same or do you enjoy a sunny xmas?
It'll be my 5th too this year and I haven't adjusted to the idea. Homesick? No, plenty to do here ... would be nice to visit a proper country pub with some old mates but that's about it.

In the UK I had no kids to consider, here it is different and I refrain from the 'it doesn't feel like Christmas' thing because, well, it is Christmas so get used to it!.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:14 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissyB

I like Xmas day on the beach, with a barbie and shrimp...but...its not really christmas is it!!
When I see the younger crowd all dressed up like Santa and Snowmen for their xmas parties it does seem a bit surreal!!
However, certainly doesn't make me homesick, but makes for a different attitude about christmas, somehow and I don't know why, it loses all religious context on a blazing hot summers day outside!!
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:32 pm
JAK
BE Enthusiast

JAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud of

I wish I could have the chance, I was hoping we would be there for this Christmas. Fingers crossed we make it in time for next year
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Never got used to it, so partner had to get used to me spending 10K on airfares to somewhere cold.

This year its melbourne, some UK family and will be there too, cheaper but reckon knowing melbourne we have a 50/50 chance of 4 degrees or 40 degrees, for the 4 please
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Eighth Christmas coming up. Never really enjoyed it at home but like it even less in Aus. This year I'm on night shift at both ends of Christmas Day which suits me down to the ground as I can just sleep through the day
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:48 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

This will be our 5th Christmas here too. The first one was kind of novel, but the novelty wore off 4 years ago for me. Maybe it's circumstances, maybe it's not, but I hate Christmas now. I understand fully why the suicide rate rises so much around the holiday season.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:52 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Suits me to be not christmassy. I hate christmas and everything about it whichever continent I live on. I seem to be able to avoid being involved in it here whereas everywhere else I have lived it is in my face. Bah humbug!!!
Old Nov 4th 2010, 12:05 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Still occasionally use Christmas to mean winter. Nearly stopped doing that now.

Love Christmas here. Will miss a lot of our traditions this year as we'll be back in the UK. Still short on alternatives that don't cost a fortune.

It'll be interesting to see what the kids think.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

My wife is very much the same and we're off to the UK for Christmas this year.

It's not just the weather, but the whole vibe; no Slade, Wizard, or Chris de Burgh on the radio, no Christmas "specials" on the TV, different vibe in the various drinking establishments.

We do love the seafood for Christmas here, going to the fishmongers, and that has become part of our Oz Christmas.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 12:16 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Yes
Old Nov 4th 2010, 12:18 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Love Christmas here, this will be our 8th. First one was a nightmare, with 6 of us living on a 40' yacht & my mum insisting on cooking a full Christmas dinner. Temps peaked at 40°C that day & 5 of the 6 of us ended up diving over the side for a swim between courses
Now it's a much more chilled affair. We have seafood & salad or steak for the red meat lovers.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 12:20 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
This will be our 5th Christmas here too. The first one was kind of novel, but the novelty wore off 4 years ago for me. Maybe it's circumstances, maybe it's not, but I hate Christmas now. I understand fully why the suicide rate rises so much around the holiday season.
Blimey.....chill!! Go see your local priest, ring the Samaritans, chat with the neighbour...but for god's sake don't top yourself!
Old Nov 4th 2010, 12:21 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by cresta57
Love Christmas here, this will be our 8th. First one was a nightmare, with 6 of us living on a 40' yacht & my mum insisting on cooking a full Christmas dinner. Temps peaked at 40°C that day & 5 of the 6 of us ended up diving over the side for a swim between courses
Now it's a much more chilled affair. We have seafood & salad or steak for the red meat lovers.
yes....must of been hell!!!
Old Nov 4th 2010, 12:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Agree. For me, Christmas is all about being with the ones that you love, relaxing and having a bit of fun.

All the rest is details.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.