Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you ever feel like giving up

Do you ever feel like giving up

Old Oct 6th 2004, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

bored brit is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Do you ever feel like giving up

Im sure I am not alone in thinking this but are there times during the process when you think to yourself thats it I'VE HAD ENOUGH? give up and forget about the whole process.
At the start it took three months to get all the references together and then another 6months to get t r a approval and that was supposed to be fast tracked although that was due to a mistake with the bank paying them $10 short
We then applied for a 139 visa in June and what happens they change the rules and give priority to post july applicants (who im sure are delighted).
Then receive a letter from dimia requesting more info even though it was sent to them and god knows how long it will be before they request the bond from the assurer,no chance of visa before xmas.It just seems that we are never going to get there
How do the rest of you get through this as this is sooo stressful and I was curios as to how everybody else coped?
Old Oct 6th 2004, 6:43 pm
Carramar Perth

Springo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do you ever feel like giving up

Hi Bored Brit

Sorry to hear you are feeling down.

We too are on a 139 and hubby is self employed, so we are bracing ourselves for the same letter at some point.

The only thing I can say is, friends of ours have been in Oz for nearly 2 years, it took them 18 months to get their visa. They came up against a few knock backs, but eventually jumped the hurdles. They said to us If you want it bad enough you will find a way.

Just think of it as one more step towards your goal.

Good Luck

Julia
Old Oct 6th 2004, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

[How do the rest of you get through this as this is sooo stressful and I was curios as to how everybody else coped?[/QUOTE]

It's out of your hands and there is nothing you can do to speed the process up- therefore you need to keep your chin up by focusing on other things. Start looking into shipping- are you going to take everything or buy new stuff when you're there? Start researching where you want to live and things like schools if that's appropriate to you. Look on the estate agents sites- dream about the house you want to buy. Start thinking about logistics- how will you get to airport, how will you sell your car if you need it up to the last minute, what will you do with pensions, endowments etc, sort out references to help you get job/rental property/credit etc Honestly, we were so focussed on the visa that now that we've got it we realise all the other things that need to do. I know you're frustrated with DIMIA- our frustrations were with our agent, however, things sort themselves out and you WILL get there in the end.
Good luck, and chill!
Yvonne x
sending you some karma
Old Oct 6th 2004, 6:49 pm
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy

PortJackson is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bored brit
Im sure I am not alone in thinking this but are there times during the process when you think to yourself thats it I'VE HAD ENOUGH? give up and forget about the whole process.
At the start it took three months to get all the references together and then another 6months to get t r a approval and that was supposed to be fast tracked although that was due to a mistake with the bank paying them $10 short
We then applied for a 139 visa in June and what happens they change the rules and give priority to post july applicants (who im sure are delighted).
Then receive a letter from dimia requesting more info even though it was sent to them and god knows how long it will be before they request the bond from the assurer,no chance of visa before xmas.It just seems that we are never going to get there
How do the rest of you get through this as this is sooo stressful and I was curios as to how everybody else coped?
Just take a step back.Before they moved the processing for UK to ASPC it was taking 18 months +.

You'll look back (when you are packing/selling house ~whatever)and be wishing you had more time.

She'll be right~trust me~ been there ate the t-shirt

Australia isnt going nowhere ~despite what the scientists say~and you wont be till visa arrives.Till then stress less .
Old Oct 6th 2004, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by YFitz
[How do the rest of you get through this as this is sooo stressful and I was curios as to how everybody else coped?
It's out of your hands and there is nothing you can do to speed the process up- therefore you need to keep your chin up by focusing on other things. Start looking into shipping- are you going to take everything or buy new stuff when you're there? Start researching where you want to live and things like schools if that's appropriate to you. Look on the estate agents sites- dream about the house you want to buy. Start thinking about logistics- how will you get to airport, how will you sell your car if you need it up to the last minute, what will you do with pensions, endowments etc, sort out references to help you get job/rental property/credit etc Honestly, we were so focussed on the visa that now that we've got it we realise all the other things that need to do. I know you're frustrated with DIMIA- our frustrations were with our agent, however, things sort themselves out and you WILL get there in the end.
Good luck, and chill!
Yvonne x
sending you some karma [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the karma but this is why its so frustrating the house is sold the removal men are coming next ThursdayI have a job to go to and a house as well.I think whats really getting me down is that I was going to my little sisters wedding in Vegas on the 29th Nov (took a chance and booked flights) and now it looks like Im not going to make it but as you say chin up and keep hoping as it will arrive-eventually
Old Oct 6th 2004, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

Thanks for the karma but this is why its so frustrating the house is sold the removal men are coming next ThursdayI have a job to go to and a house as well.I think whats really getting me down is that I was going to my little sisters wedding in Vegas on the 29th Nov (took a chance and booked flights) and now it looks like Im not going to make it but as you say chin up and keep hoping as it will arrive-eventually [/QUOTE]

...........and if all else fails just get pissed......seems to work for us
Old Oct 6th 2004, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

...........and if all else fails just get pissed......seems to work for us [/QUOTE]

LOL
Old Oct 6th 2004, 7:13 pm
Go dogs!

tbeb will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bored brit
We applied for a 139 in March. Bond lodged in August and still waiting for visa. I am getting really fed up now, I don't think UK Government departments are as bad as this.

Not helped that my ACS assessment took 5 months and it was supposed to be back within 10 weeks either.

And they call sub-class 139 a fast track visa? Don't make me laugh, there are some even less fortunate 139s who haven't even got a case officer after 6 months!!!

TBEB
Old Oct 6th 2004, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

sparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond repute

I understand exactly how you feel, it's been about a year since we first applied for our visa. Our phone bills have shot up in this (hopefully) last stage of the visa application process. I had so much trouble getting police certificates from other countries I had lived in since I was 16 which took about 6 months to wait for. and I didn't even have a criminal record.

Hang on in there, every day is getting nearer the end.
Love will wait for you.

All the best,
sparkler.
Old Oct 6th 2004, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

Keep your chin up.

You DO get there eventually - and when you do, it feels as if the last 12 months have whizzed by..

It is worth it - it really is - when you get that Yellow Envelope!.

Hope time ticks by quickly for you.

PS.
You'll really feel the time dragging by when you've got your visa but your blinking house won't sell.....!!
Old Oct 7th 2004, 11:57 am
Just Joined

ads02 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the karma but this is why its so frustrating the house is sold the removal men are coming next ThursdayI have a job to go to and a house as well.I think whats really getting me down is that I was going to my little sisters wedding in Vegas on the 29th Nov (took a chance and booked flights) and now it looks like Im not going to make it but as you say chin up and keep hoping as it will arrive-eventually [/QUOTE]

I can just imagine what's going on there. I applied Nov 2002.....and still NO VISAS!

Wish us luck!