Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

do we take the dog or not?

do we take the dog or not?

Old Jun 25th 2006, 8:53 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do we take the dog or not?

Originally Posted by thebears
Would be like saying cant afford to take one of the children so we will leave one.

If only that option was available

OP glad the OH has come round - fortunately (sort of) all of our pets have shuffled off their mortal coils over the past couple of years so don't have that dilemma as well as all the other pressures emigrating brings.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Masadal has a spectacular aura aboutMasadal has a spectacular aura aboutMasadal has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy Re: do we take the dog or not?

Hi there.

We are also in a big dilemma about taking our staffy. (Apologies for hijacking this post).

Read this topic with intent and have to agree that the cost of shipping our dog was as important as paying for the visa - its a cost to get all of us to Oz so it will be paid.

Our (or rather mine) dilema is how he will cope with the flight and quarantine? I'm thinking purely of him and his stress levels.

When we started the process back in Oct 2004 Maverick was definately coming. March 2006 we had a 2 week holiday and he went into highly recommended kennels (his 2nd time). When we collected him he'd tried to chew the wire and broke his front canine in half. He had an operation to remove the rest and recovered fine. The kennels say they have no idea how this could have happened but don't deny it happened with them.

So, if he stressed out so much in 2 weeks hows he gonna be for 4-5 weeks?

Please, Please, Please can any of the many dog lovers on this site, who have experienced this, give me some information to put mind at ease.

Thanks in advance

Diane
Old Jul 8th 2006, 8:50 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you talked hubby round SB, we are in a dilemma with our white boxer Eric - he`s a 10yrs old (boxers lifespan usually 10-12 yrs)and has a bald patch on his back (from where he had a cyst - the hair never grew back)he doesn`t like the heat - he`s been struggling the last couple of weeks in the UK summer. To be honest I know I`ll feel guilty whatever I do but I don`t like the idea of anyone else having my boy because no one could love as much as I do . Does anyone know of any older dogs who have made the move and settled well?
Old Jul 8th 2006, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

RogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura about

We brought or 2 golden retreivers out April 2005. One aged (then) 10 the other 8 both settled in no problem at all. The eldest is lying by my feet now as I type, the youngest sleeping on her Ekornes leather recliner next to the computer. Could not have considered not bringing them, whatever the cost. We had to have our other 2 retrievers re-homed, yes we had 4, one because of health problems, the other because of extreme old age. In fact the only thing my wife and I miss from UK is the 2 dogs we left behind, still have many tears.
Roger
Old Jul 9th 2006, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

zoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Masadal
Hi there.

We are also in a big dilemma about taking our staffy. (Apologies for hijacking this post).

Read this topic with intent and have to agree that the cost of shipping our dog was as important as paying for the visa - its a cost to get all of us to Oz so it will be paid.

Our (or rather mine) dilema is how he will cope with the flight and quarantine? I'm thinking purely of him and his stress levels.

When we started the process back in Oct 2004 Maverick was definately coming. March 2006 we had a 2 week holiday and he went into highly recommended kennels (his 2nd time). When we collected him he'd tried to chew the wire and broke his front canine in half. He had an operation to remove the rest and recovered fine. The kennels say they have no idea how this could have happened but don't deny it happened with them.

Please, Please, Please can any of the many dog lovers on this site, who have experienced this, give me some information to put mind at ease.

Thanks in advance

Diane

we brought over two cats - one of which is terrified of everyone except me. she was fine. regarding worrysome dogs, my parents emigrated to perth 2004 and took their 8 year old shih-tzu. she was so pampered and also a weird little thing - she had taken to only eating if my mum spoon fed her, she wouldn't wee on concrete, wouldn't even walk on certain types or lengths of grass and wouldn't eat if her schedule had been 'interrupted'. i told you she was weird. anyway there was no question that she wasn't going - i would have had her but we knew we would be emigrating at some point anyway. anyway so after lots of stress from my mum she was driven to heathrow, stuck on a plane and spent 4 weeks in quarantine in perth. my mum visited her twice which was hard she said, but she was glad she did it and polly seemed ok with seeing her.

she has been in perth for two years now and she is loving it. she is fine with the heat so long as her coat is short; they just adapt, plus most houses have air con so it isn't exactly the same as the two week uk summer (plus depending on where you go in oz it isn't the sticky heat that you tend to get in uk). she will now happily eat from the bowl, will even drink water from her bowl (that was another thing, she wouldn't drink if you were watching her).

i mean, it's 'only' 4 weeks and i bet the second you pick them up at the end and take them home they will forget everything in their excitement. i expected my cats to be pleased to see me and then ignore me for several days, as punishment. you know what cats are like! but they didn't, they just followed me everwhere for a few hours and that was that, back to normal really.

hundreds of much loved pets make the trip every year and i bet that makes for hundreds more happy migrants.
Old Jul 9th 2006, 3:21 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Masadal
Hi there.

Thanks in advance

Diane
Maybe I am seeing this too simply but you are worried that your dogs stress levels will be up for 4 weeks until you are reunited with him.

How stressed do you think your dog will be when he never sees you again if you leave him? Longer than 4 weeks I suspect.
Old Jul 9th 2006, 7:01 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RogerUK
We brought or 2 golden retreivers out April 2005. One aged (then) 10 the other 8 both settled in no problem at all. The eldest is lying by my feet now as I type, the youngest sleeping on her Ekornes leather recliner next to the computer. Could not have considered not bringing them, whatever the cost. We had to have our other 2 retrievers re-homed, yes we had 4, one because of health problems, the other because of extreme old age. In fact the only thing my wife and I miss from UK is the 2 dogs we left behind, still have many tears.
Roger
Thanks Roger - thats eased my mind a bit - it always seem to younger dogs you hear of making the move.
Old Jul 9th 2006, 8:13 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Take The Dog.
You Wouln't Leave Your Kids Behind.
Take Your Dog. How Would You Feel If You Were That Dog.
Take Your Bloody Dog.
How Is It A Hard Decision?
Take The Dog With You!
Old Jul 9th 2006, 8:28 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Take The Dog.
You Wouln't Leave Your Kids Behind.
Take Your Dog. How Would You Feel If You Were That Dog.
Take Your Bloody Dog.
How Is It A Hard Decision?
Take The Dog With You!
Should she take the dog then d'ya reckon?
Old Jul 9th 2006, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

I've posted on this one before but I'll say it again - not everyone is in a position to justify taking their pets.

We've 3 dogs, varying breeds, ages and sizes and to bring all would mean we couldn't bring our furniture, kids toys, favourite pictures etc etc.

We've always been upfront with the children (aged 5 and 3) and explained that the dogs wouldn't be coming and thankfully at the young age they are they take that as a given and haven't questioned it.

As a stay at home mum I spend a lot of my day with my three dogs and it will certainly be me that misses them most but maybe I'm a heartless realist and £6000 or so would buy me a lot and certainly a very nice puppy in our new home! (I can hear you all shouting at your screens now!!).
Old Jul 9th 2006, 1:06 pm
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

Being a dog lover my self........i say shoot it and up grade the family car ....eg..LS....to a GLS....

All the best plum.....

ps...2....oh and gain a hat...
Old Jul 10th 2006, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

steve & Heather is a jewel in the roughsteve & Heather is a jewel in the roughsteve & Heather is a jewel in the roughsteve & Heather is a jewel in the rough

Hi

Just joining this thread.

We are taking two GSD's with us and are trying to sort out who to use. We are down to Golden Arrow,Chilworth Kennels and jets4pets. Has anybody used Chilworth Kennels? I cannot seem to find any views?

Costing a fortune but they are 3 year old sisters and part of the family. My major concern is finding a rental property in Helensvale area who will take them, they live outside so that should be a plus but still worried.. We will have 6 weeks to find somewhere.

Steve
Old Jul 10th 2006, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

silversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jothefw
As a stay at home mum I spend a lot of my day with my three dogs and it will certainly be me that misses them most but maybe I'm a heartless realist and £6000 or so would buy me a lot and certainly a very nice puppy in our new home! (I can hear you all shouting at your screens now!!).
Your kids are very lucky indeed, they must get a new puppy every Christmas!
Old Jul 10th 2006, 8:24 pm
A roo in my top paddock!

Dreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
dont get me wrong, i dont want to leave the dog. i got upset last week, when we had a chat about it, and the possibility arose that we might have to leave her in the uk. she is a brilliant dog. chances are, we will probably take her. i am just using this forum as a sounding board.

leaving her behind with a possibility of sending her onwards? mmmm, theres only mum and dad and brother and his family??

mum and dad, not very good with prodedures and organising (which is the reason i am trying to get their application to migrate sorted out before we leave for australia )

brother and family, 2 kiddies, one with learning difficulties, another one very nearly due, live in a small house with not enough room for them at the moment, let alone another child and a dog. problems already there tenfold

other than that, no one else to ask, no other family.

at the moment, its looking about 80% certain that we are taking her. wouldnt/couldnt replace her. we are worried about how she will cope, she doesnt travel well and doesnt cope too well with heat. but, by reading on here, i am sure she will be okay on the slight and sleep at lot, and that dogs adapt far better to the weather than we do

its not so much me that is deliberating over this, more so my husband. other people have also said "oohh, thats a lot of money", which of course it is.
Hello to you and i really feel for you and your dilemma.
I am a dog owner and lover myself and have been brought up with dogs around me all my life.I had a Boxer bought for me for my 10th birthday and she was the best present ever.
Im going to put another spin on this thread
We have a 3 year old labrador retriever who is a fantastic dog in every way possible.... guard dog,family dog,friend,great in the house as far as damage and behaviour goes.
We are hopefully migrating in 2007 sometime and we couldnt possibly think of taking the dog with us mainly because he would be so stressed it would kill him im sure.If we go on holiday i have to get someone to come live in the house because he wont settle anywhere else!Hes scared of loud noises and when i say scared i mean petrified - fireworks are just a nightmare for him and that is the only time he has ever "done"anything in the house when hes so stressed.
Tablets from the vets dont touch him.We ve tried everything inbetween.
For this reason alone we would not consider taking him.Also and as importantly he does not cope well with a summers day over here so would not cope at all in Brisbane with the heat.
Im sure he would die either before he got on the plane or boat or whatever or certainly while he was in quarentine.It just wouldn t be fair on him.
Luckily i have a brother who has a dog of simular age who is willing to have him and they all get on fine.I cant bear the thought of leaving him but i know he will be happier.
I f you do decide to leave your dog over here i know of a lovley couple who would love him/her to death and walk his/her legs off every day! (my parents).
My Mum is desperate for another boxer (shes had 3 ) but wouldnt want a puppy from scratch as shes older but still fit.My Dad is also as fit as a lop and walks miles every day.They live right in the middle of gorgeous countryside in West Yorkshire.
If youre stuck let me know.
Good luck in what you decide to do.My empathy is with you all the way.
Sending you karma.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 8:54 pm
Not the sharpest tool

Dimwit has a brilliant futureDimwit has a brilliant futureDimwit has a brilliant futureDimwit has a brilliant futureDimwit has a brilliant futureDimwit has a brilliant futureDimwit has a brilliant futureDimwit has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
no we didnt know at the time. had been a dream of hubbies for some years, but it was a no go as far as i was concerned until 19 months ago.

i have said that to hubbie 'a pet is for life, not just for the short term'.

dont know how i would be feeling right now, if i had a horse to take (nearly got one of those about 3 years ago )
Hi everyone,

read with alot of interest this thread as we are just making arrangements for our two hounds to come with us. We have been quoted about 4K for both and yes its a lot of money but they are our family, we don't have any kids and we are quite dotty about them. Besides, if you add up all the destruction our labrador has done (she's nearly two) with chewing etc it comes to about half of that anyway but as I type this she is curled up asleep on the sofa and the other pooch is on the other one, hubby is squeezed on the end and I just couldn't leave them behind. Even when you've had a crap day they are so pleased to see you and are so loyal. Besides they rely on us and when push comes to shove it really is only money. I left university with £20 in my pocket and alot of student debt and now 7 years on I have a successful business, I've been well off and I've been poor but your dogs don't care about that they just love you for being there for them. (Told you I was dotty about them!)

You will make the right decision in the end - take her!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.