Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do we rent our house or sell it!

Do we rent our house or sell it!

Old Feb 15th 2008, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Jox_co is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do we rent our house or sell it!

Originally Posted by Timandjayne
Were off to Port Lincoln in SA, Hubbs a paramedic and starts in March.
Because of his shifts I'm left to deal with everything, It can't be helped just going through the motions of shipping agents now. Down to 3. Where are you off to....

Hi jayne,

Sorry must have missed you reply.

How's things going with your house??

We've had nothing so currently looking in to buy to let in case!

Got visa last week so house last thing.

We are heading to Perth, Hubby has job in Malaga starting May/June.

Stay in touch and let me know how its going

Good Luck!!

Jayne
Old Feb 16th 2008, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Wolfman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jox_co
Hi jayne,

Sorry must have missed you reply.

How's things going with your house??

We've had nothing so currently looking in to buy to let in case!

Got visa last week so house last thing.

We are heading to Perth, Hubby has job in Malaga starting May/June.

Stay in touch and let me know how its going

Good Luck!!

Jayne
Hi,

You are not alone, we are also in the same boat, have our visa's. House on market since week b4 xmas loads of window shoppers, only one real interest but they haven;t sold theirs yet.
We fly in 3 weeks, OH starts work 17th March!
We are now looking at letting it out for 12mths, and see how market is next spring. We have it for sale or let, if its let 1st then at least we wont have the worry of trying to pay a uk mortgage and rent in Oz. UK property market does seem very slow.
It's typical that house market crap here, booming in Oz and the £ is getting weaker by the day. At the moment we feel that no matter what we decide to do it will be wrong! If we dont sell here now and take money now, then in 12mths time uk houses and the £ may well be worth less, and the oz houses cost more $$$...aagh! bloody hard decisions. But whether a buyer comes along is just luck, right place right time.
Other post seems a good plan to have a 10yr plan of owning a house in both countries....nice if you can, but how can we get a deposit for Oz house without selling here or releasing equity...dont know about you guys but our mortgage here is big enough without doing that!!

good luck to you all, the buying and selling of houses %$*^%^%:curse:

xx
Old Feb 16th 2008, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Jox_co is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Hi,

You are not alone, we are also in the same boat, have our visa's. House on market since week b4 xmas loads of window shoppers, only one real interest but they haven;t sold theirs yet.
We fly in 3 weeks, OH starts work 17th March!
We are now looking at letting it out for 12mths, and see how market is next spring. We have it for sale or let, if its let 1st then at least we wont have the worry of trying to pay a uk mortgage and rent in Oz. UK property market does seem very slow.
It's typical that house market crap here, booming in Oz and the £ is getting weaker by the day. At the moment we feel that no matter what we decide to do it will be wrong! If we dont sell here now and take money now, then in 12mths time uk houses and the £ may well be worth less, and the oz houses cost more $$$...aagh! bloody hard decisions. But whether a buyer comes along is just luck, right place right time.
Other post seems a good plan to have a 10yr plan of owning a house in both countries....nice if you can, but how can we get a deposit for Oz house without selling here or releasing equity...dont know about you guys but our mortgage here is big enough without doing that!!

good luck to you all, the buying and selling of houses %$*^%^%:curse:

xx

Hope it all goes well for you. Will you let it with an agent?
Old Feb 17th 2008, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jox_co
Hope it all goes well for you. Will you let it with an agent?
Thank you. When I'm having a wobbly moment, I do wonder why are we doing this, the easy option would be to stay put, but then spend the next 10yrs wondering 'what if'. & nothing worth having is easy eh????(my new mantra)

Yes we will let with an agent, have had plenty of friends offer to watch the house for us, but dont really want to put that much pressure on them in their already busy lives. We have let from the agent we will be using, so know they manage properties pretty well, and less for us to worry about.
Spring is coming so we may get a buyer yet, we've had to do so much more now with the house to get it ready to let if needs be..running out of time!

Old Feb 17th 2008, 11:40 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guest5234
I think you are doing the right thing, if you find after 2, 3 or even 10 years oz is not for you at least you have a house to return to will not have to start on the ladder again.
i cannot agree with what you have just said. all this getting back on the property ladder stuff is utter crap. selling property and coming to oz will not send you backwards if you decide to return to the uk. when we left the uk in 2001 our property was valued at 65,000 pounds. rented out until 2004 and sold for 133,000 pounds. next door recently sold for 148,000 pounds but was much improved on our property. we still owed 50,000 pounds when we sold but used the money we had to bulld in australia. recenlty sold the oz house and could now go back to the uk and buy uk house outright and still have the money for a new golf gti.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by youngy73
i cannot agree with what you have just said. all this getting back on the property ladder stuff is utter crap. selling property and coming to oz will not send you backwards if you decide to return to the uk. when we left the uk in 2001 our property was valued at 65,000 pounds. rented out until 2004 and sold for 133,000 pounds. next door recently sold for 148,000 pounds but was much improved on our property. we still owed 50,000 pounds when we sold but used the money we had to bulld in australia. recenlty sold the oz house and could now go back to the uk and buy uk house outright and still have the money for a new golf gti.
I have to agree with you on this, I cant see how , unless Oz has a complete property crash, you will lose the money you take over there to invest in a booming market. Uk is now stagnating or even dropping, so can't see property house prices rising anything like they have in the past. So take your money, if you can, invest in the oz market. Wish we could sell our bloody house here to do the same. But I'm not accepting any silly offers in order to do so, I will bide my time, rent out and try again when confidence improves in UK.& just keeping everything crossed the property prices in Oz slow down a little and the ££ improves against the $$ (dont want much eh)

Did you have any trouble selling your house whilst tenants in there? or did you wait until lease ended then market for sale? We currently have ours up for sale or let, but not sure whether this will cause conflict and either put people of buying or renting so end up with neither
Old Feb 17th 2008, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

posh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the rough

Hi all,

just a query, cant remember if been cvered in the thread alreadybut if we rent our house out what 'taxes' do we have to pay ie in uk and also in oz ?? do we get stun twice ??

Diane x
Old Feb 18th 2008, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

keenymeeny has a spectacular aura aboutkeenymeeny has a spectacular aura aboutkeenymeeny has a spectacular aura about

Autralia and the UK have a double taxation agreement so you won't pay twice. You will have to declare the rental in the UK as income. Obviously you will have to upgrade your insurance as it is a higher risk if rented out. If it is empty at any stage you will need unoccupied property insurance, which is costly, (I speak from experience).
Old Feb 18th 2008, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

posh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by keenymeeny
Autralia and the UK have a double taxation agreement so you won't pay twice. You will have to declare the rental in the UK as income. Obviously you will have to upgrade your insurance as it is a higher risk if rented out. If it is empty at any stage you will need unoccupied property insurance, which is costly, (I speak from experience).
hi, thanks for that.

My oh is now thinking of selling again. !!!! i'm leaving it to him. doing my head in. lol :curse::

Diane x
Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

paul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant future

I hope you get your homes sold people.

Im not at the stage of selling my home. Thats a while away.

Even if i dont go to ozz for some reason im still selling this flat.

When (sounding positive) i go to ozz i want a clean slate, i dont wanna worry about my home here.

Im an ideal world i would have a home in the UK and ozz.

I happy to stick my money in high interest account in ozz and rent a room over there then buy when the times right.

I bought this place for £68k in Jan'04 and its now worth £135k.

One just along from me at £135k but not sold after a few weeks.

Im gonna fit a new kitchen when i sell so hopefully that should help matters.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paul76
I hope you get your homes sold people.

Im not at the stage of selling my home. Thats a while away.

Even if i dont go to ozz for some reason im still selling this flat.

When (sounding positive) i go to ozz i want a clean slate, i dont wanna worry about my home here.

Im an ideal world i would have a home in the UK and ozz.

I happy to stick my money in high interest account in ozz and rent a room over there then buy when the times right.

I bought this place for £68k in Jan'04 and its now worth £135k.

One just along from me at £135k but not sold after a few weeks.

Im gonna fit a new kitchen when i sell so hopefully that should help matters.

Hi,

Our house has been let out for the past 10 + years. Hubby was in British Forces so we were abroad a lot. Renting out is OK as there is generally a lot of demand at the moment( area dependant). We have a que of people to rent ours out and get enquireies every day. After our experiences over the past 10 years renting is a good option but for us will be a last resort in this case. The reason, well we have just spent a fortune (£12,000) on it after the last tenant wrecked it, agents visit apparently but could not see the trashed kitchen ruined carpets and crayon all over the walls and damaged tles falling off cracked bathroom etc. could not even open the front door as they had wrecked it. Nice tenants respectible we thought, he was a tradesman, chippy had own business and he wrecked our kitchen and door. Sorry a little raw still.

Anyway our house has done us proud but we want a clean break without the stress. We have never found an agent who looks after the property , in fact the only time (6 years of self letting which worked well) that we had no trouble was when we did it ourselves. Regular payments and good tenants who understood it was our home and we were not rake it in Landlords (a common feeling with tenants is buy to let money makers so bad attitude).

Look if you can seperate it being your home, realise that things never get treated like your own so not necessarily cared for and just take the money then its great. Please cover yourself finacially for inevitable carpet replacement and re paint at the end of a tenancy in order to sell. Do not think you can sell with a tenant in it after all its there home so they will not be positive.

I do not mean to frighten you but we are very experienced. We will let if ours is not sold in next 6 months and if we get into finacial crisis, but to be honest we would rather drop the price and be free (OK not stupidly but within reason). Empty property insurance is difficult and we are renewing and covering this at the moment.

Good luck with what you decide but please if you rent get monthly written inspection reports from your agent make them earn their fee. Hold them liable for damage not reported in your inspection reports. Poor tenants need to be reported to you immediately.

Good luck again, will stop lecturing now.

We have no jobs to go to so that is a worry but you only live once and I suppose the frightning step is half the adventure. If it was not hard then it would not be a life experience (good or bad). We like to push the boundary keeps us young and adventurous, the only problem is the kids, not fair to mess with their security.

Cheryl
Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

paul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant future

I have a woman living above me who is trash.

I know its tough being a single parent but i draw the line at calling a 3 & 5 year old a f@cking c@nt and f@cking b@stard. They are little girls too.

When i do sell this flat the viewing will have to be during the day when the kids are at school or after 8.30pm in the evening or they will hear the scum bag.

Plus young kids in a flat are gonna play and toy fight. I know this so i dont bother me but i would put someone off buying it.

Couple that with me renting it out, im in ozz and the flat is up for sale.

People are getting shown round and they ask my tenants 'whats the neighbours like'.

They are goona tell them what i just said.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

hi cheryl,

thanks good read, all the thing s u say r the main reasons why we want to sell ratherthan rent now to be honest, thinking of selling to a quick buy company to be honest will lose some profit but as long as we get what we payed for it we will b happy with that. Just want to sell it.

Diane
Old Feb 19th 2008, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by posh10
hi cheryl,

thanks good read, all the thing s u say r the main reasons why we want to sell ratherthan rent now to be honest, thinking of selling to a quick buy company to be honest will lose some profit but as long as we get what we payed for it we will b happy with that. Just want to sell it.

Diane
Hi Diane,

We are flying out to Melbourne on 15th April when are you off, were are you aiming to live in Melbourne?

Cheryl
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

We are flying out to Melbourne on 15th April when are you off, were are you aiming to live in Melbourne?

Hi Cheryl,

want to go early may, not got jobs yet but travelling for a bit after sorted rental out. we are headin for mornington, mount eliza or mount martha, its lovely there my m8 has been there for 2 years and is loving it !!! where u heading for ??

Diane xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.