Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do we need to update Passports?

Do we need to update Passports?

Old Nov 18th 2005, 3:47 pm
Pam
Forum Regular

Pam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the rough
Default Do we need to update Passports?

We've finally got confirmation that we have been accepted!
However, I know we have to send our Passports off to Lodnon to get them 'stamped'. What I don't know is what we do about these Passports when they expire? My sons is due to expire in about 18 months, by which time we plan to be in Perth. So how do we go about renewing his Passport in Aus?? And will it still have the Visa 'stamp'?
If anyone can shed any light, it'd be a great help!!
Old Nov 18th 2005, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice
Default Re: Do we need to update Passports?

This seems to have come up a lot recently,so I would do a search on other threads.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 11:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pam
We've finally got confirmation that we have been accepted!
However, I know we have to send our Passports off to Lodnon to get them 'stamped'. What I don't know is what we do about these Passports when they expire? My sons is due to expire in about 18 months, by which time we plan to be in Perth. So how do we go about renewing his Passport in Aus?? And will it still have the Visa 'stamp'?
If anyone can shed any light, it'd be a great help!!

The British High Commission will be able to renew a UK passport. The visa remains valid however you will need to have it re-stamped at a DIMIA office in Australia, otherwise there is a risk of delay/hassle at check-in for an Australia bound flight.

Jeremy
Old Nov 19th 2005, 3:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
The British High Commission will be able to renew a UK passport. The visa remains valid however you will need to have it re-stamped at a DIMIA office in Australia, otherwise there is a risk of delay/hassle at check-in for an Australia bound flight.

Jeremy
See http://bhc.britaus.net/Passports/passportsdefault.asp for more info on renewing in Aus. Did mine recently and it took around 3 weeks.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 9:09 pm
Pam
Forum Regular

Pam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy

So is it best to renew our Passportd before we send them off to get the Visa in them?
Old Nov 19th 2005, 9:12 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pam
So is it best to renew our Passportd before we send them off to get the Visa in them?

Yes it is.

Unless passports have a few years or more before they expire.

Jeremy
Old Nov 19th 2005, 9:13 pm
Pam
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Yes it is.

Unless passports have a few years or more before they expire.

Jeremy
But how long does my 'letter' from DIMIA stand for? We received it via e-mail on Wed, but obviously if we need to renew my sons passport, this could take a couple of months. Will the DIMIA letter still be valid??
Old Nov 19th 2005, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

JAJ isn't the visa issued against the passport numbers? If they got new ones first then they would have different numbers.

Jo
Old Nov 19th 2005, 9:18 pm
Pam
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by joho
JAJ isn't the visa issued against the passport numbers? If they got new ones first then they would have different numbers.

Jo

OMG

Don't panic me now!! We've waited nearly a year for this! I hope this is just a technicality!!
Old Nov 19th 2005, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pam
OMG

Don't panic me now!! We've waited nearly a year for this! I hope this is just a technicality!!
God sorry, don't have a heart attack I'm probably wrong, JAJ knows his stuff. We got our boys passports renewed just before grant and sent in a change of details form to say that they had changed and copies of the new passport page. I was just curious nothing more.

Jo
Old Nov 19th 2005, 9:24 pm
Pam
Forum Regular

God sorry, don't have a heart attack I'm probably wrong, JAJ knows his stuff. We got our boys passports renewed just before grant and sent in a change of details form to say that they had changed and copies of the new passport page. I was just curious nothing more.

Jo
Phew! Panic over!
I think I am more jumpy now we have Visa acceptance than I have been waiting for it!
Old Nov 19th 2005, 9:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

Jo

You tell your case officer and they update the system with new passport numbers. Remember the grant of a visa is not affected by subsequent change of passport number, it just may mean it takes a little longer to get it stamped. You have to weigh that up against the hassles of travelling with a visa in an old passport.

Jeremy
Old Nov 19th 2005, 9:32 pm
Pam
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
You tell your case officer and they update the system with new passport numbers. Remember the grant of a visa is not affected by subsequent change of passport number, it just may mean it takes a little longer to get it stamped. You have to weigh that up against the hassles of travelling with a visa in an old passport.

Jeremy
That's cool - I can deal with that!
We don't plan to travel until March for validation, with intention of Emigrating Dec 06.
Can't wait now!