Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do we need to take our medical history?

Do we need to take our medical history?

Old Feb 17th 2007, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Leevan has a spectacular aura aboutLeevan has a spectacular aura aboutLeevan has a spectacular aura about
Default Do we need to take our medical history?

Hi we are moving out to Perth in April.
Do we need to take any Medical History?
Any info greatly appreciated.
Thanks.......................................
Old Feb 17th 2007, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

jonjelly will become famous soon enoughjonjelly will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Do we need to take our medical history?

hello we are also going to perth in april!!! yes you do need to take your medical notes with you, my doctor told me to give them a couple of weeks notice to get them ready. hope this helps. good luck.....
Old Feb 17th 2007, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

jackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nice

Originally Posted by jonjelly
hello we are also going to perth in april!!! yes you do need to take your medical notes with you, my doctor told me to give them a couple of weeks notice to get them ready. hope this helps. good luck.....
Thats useful to know, as I was under the impression that I Didnt need to!!!!!!!!!
Having said that there isnt alot in our records. MY daughters hospital records are being given to us and her scans. The orthodontic records are also being given to us.
Dentist said no she wouldnt be giving them to us?!
Will contact the GP again, I think. Dont move 'til June so have abit of time. J
Old Feb 17th 2007, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackie barden
Thats useful to know, as I was under the impression that I Didnt need to!!!!!!!!!
Having said that there isnt alot in our records. MY daughters hospital records are being given to us and her scans. The orthodontic records are also being given to us.
Dentist said no she wouldnt be giving them to us?!
Will contact the GP again, I think. Dont move 'til June so have abit of time. J
I don't think you HAVE to but it will make your life a lot easier. We didn't bring ours to America and I wish we had. Just silly little things, like I couldn't remember when my next smear was due, and this way they will have all that info at their fingertips.

I think the dentist has to give you your records if you ask, they might charge a fee, but I'm pretty sure that under the freedom of inormation act they have to tell you.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 9:31 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

You DON'T need them. In fact if you did have them the doctors over here wouldn't want them anyway unless you has a particularly unusual or difficult medical history.

There is no concept of "registering" with a GP here.

Don't waste your time, take it form me.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 9:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzimc
I don't think you HAVE to but it will make your life a lot easier. We didn't bring ours to America and I wish we had. Just silly little things, like I couldn't remember when my next smear was due, and this way they will have all that info at their fingertips.

I think the dentist has to give you your records if you ask, they might charge a fee, but I'm pretty sure that under the freedom of inormation act they have to tell you.
You don't need to bring them as you don't need to register with a doctor in Aus. You can chop and change between doctors as you wish, and very few are actually interested in your previous notes. I've seen 3 who couldn't be bothered to read them before treating me!
Worth bringing them if you have an ongoing condition, otherwise I wouldn't bother.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 9:32 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You don't need to bring them as you don't need to register with a doctor in Aus. You can chop and change between doctors as you wish, and very few are actually interested in your previous notes. I've seen 3 who couldn't be bothered to read them before treating me!
Worth bringing them if you have an ongoing condition, otherwise I wouldn't bother.
SNAP!

See, it must be true.

Same for dental records. As my dentist told me "your teeth are your dental records"
Old Feb 17th 2007, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I chose to get a copy of my medical notes for my own use - for example to see when last smear done, exactly what pills I have taken in the past that did/didn't work, what dates I got what illnesses.... I'm crap at remembering stuff like that so the only way to be sure was to have my notes.
Perhaps a doctor will never want to see them! But I know that they are there if I or anyone else ever needs them, and I'm sure it would not be so easy to get them from my UK doctor once over in Oz.
Each to their own I suppose!
Old Feb 17th 2007, 11:58 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
SNAP!

See, it must be true.

Same for dental records. As my dentist told me "your teeth are your dental records"
Yes definitely true for me too - I've (unfortunately) managed to wind up in hospital twice since I arrived, and the Doctors couldn't give a rat arse about what's happened to you before. They will do their own tests and draw their own conclusions.

I've had (to date) Ultrasounds, CT scan and colonoscopy (bleugh). The last two were as the Doctor said "Just to be sure."

I've been very impressed with the health system over here - it seems much more thorough. I just look forward to a time when I won't be neeeding it for a while again!

S