Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do we need health insurance on a 457?

Do we need health insurance on a 457?

Old Sep 7th 2005, 2:04 pm
Banned

2foot has a brilliant future2foot has a brilliant future2foot has a brilliant future2foot has a brilliant future2foot has a brilliant future2foot has a brilliant future
Default Do we need health insurance on a 457?

Hi guys,

we are going on a 457 (sort of - more a labour agreement) in 7 weeks time.

Other than book the dogs flight - we havent done anything!! -

thinking about health insurance - any ideas if we should do something here?

National insurance ( should we keep this up somehow)?

thanx Georgie!
Old Sep 7th 2005, 7:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we need health insurance on a 457?

Originally Posted by 2foot
Hi guys,

thanx Georgie!
If you are going on a 457 visa, you do need health insurance and your employer ought to be paying for that. Is this not the case?

There are other risks and costs involved with the 457 visa - make sure you know these so as to avoid nasty surprises after arriving.

Jeremy
Old Sep 7th 2005, 9:51 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2foot
Hi guys,

thanx Georgie!
georgie
On a 457 myself.
My employer was not going to pay for Health Insurance as he thought we would be covered by the reciprocal agreement on Medicare.
However, as I hadn't lived in the UK for the 5 years previous, I was not legible for Medicare.
My employer felt duty bound to pay for Health Insurance for me and my family (MBF Visitor cover)

Andrew
Old Sep 7th 2005, 10:12 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

We are on a 457 and not covered by medicare. Employer not paying for medical insurance (I think they should!) Cost is high as you are classed as a visitor and you don't get the same consessions as someone who is permanent. Ours for a family of 3 is about $450 per month. We did a lot of searching and all around the same price for a fully comp policy
Old Sep 7th 2005, 10:23 pm
Banned

Widdi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really nice

Thanks both!

JAJ - We are on a agricultural labour agreement - an agency gets their fees directly off the employers and are happy for us to go onto a RSMS as soon as we are happy.

Seems there is such a lack of skilled rural operators that they are willing to pay the fees. And as I am employed by the Agreement agency (who are the only government designated ones in WA) if we are not happy with our employers - we simply go to the next uner the same employment

I understand that there is probs with 457 - as a young couple with no kids and a little patience - we hope we "may" be ok!!

We will see but surley it sometimes beats getting a skilled permenant and not getting good work for a year!

My husband have been guarenteed - $57000 a year at any job (39hours) most Aussies would rather mine for 80000!

Any thoughts?

Georgie and john
Old Sep 8th 2005, 6:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Widdi
Thanks both!

JAJ - We are on a agricultural labour agreement - an agency gets their fees directly off the employers and are happy for us to go onto a RSMS as soon as we are happy.

Seems there is such a lack of skilled rural operators that they are willing to pay the fees. And as I am employed by the Agreement agency (who are the only government designated ones in WA) if we are not happy with our employers - we simply go to the next uner the same employment

I understand that there is probs with 457 - as a young couple with no kids and a little patience - we hope we "may" be ok!!

We will see but surley it sometimes beats getting a skilled permenant and not getting good work for a year!

My husband have been guarenteed - $57000 a year at any job (39hours) most Aussies would rather mine for 80000!

Any thoughts?

Georgie and john
I strongly suggest you go for RSMS (or another permanent visa) as soon as you can. Are you sure you are eligible for RSMS?

Jeremy
Old Sep 8th 2005, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

grunty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are here on a 457 visa and have a Medicare card which covers us for 'immediately necessary care only' under the Reciprocal Health Agreement. I took my son to see a GP last week for a non-urgent condition (for which there was no charge 'because he is under 16') and she said that this card would cover us for any emergency or acute treatment, but that we would need private health cover for other things. She did say that private health insurance here is expensive (she advised about $2500-3000 per year for a family) and as we are reasonably young with young children she suggested it might be worth considering putting this money aside in an account ourselves and just using it 'as and when', rather than paying out for health cover. We haven't yet decided what to do, but we have heard confusing information about other people here in similar circumstances who appear to have been able to claim on Medicare successfully. Probably not much help, but that's our situation.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 1:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by andrew63
georgie
On a 457 myself.
My employer was not going to pay for Health Insurance as he thought we would be covered by the reciprocal agreement on Medicare.

Reciprocal medicare cover is not a substitute for proper health insurance.

Jeremy
Old Sep 9th 2005, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

grunty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Reciprocal medicare cover is not a substitute for proper health insurance.

Jeremy
Wasn't for a minute suggesting that it was. I was simply recounting our experience so far. As I said we are still considering how best to address our health care needs and wouldn't dream of advising anyone else. I fully agree that individuals must make up their own minds.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 4:27 am
going with the wind

sim1112 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do we need health insurance on a 457?

yes, you do not health insurance. I'm on a 457 visa myself and found as cheapest solution with the best cover the iman health insurance.
Have a look at:
http://www.iman.com.au/

sim