Reload this Page >

Do we need birth certificates

Do we need birth certificates

Old Jun 24th 2008, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do we need birth certificates

Hi.

We are off in 6 weeks and I am packing,well the wife is anyway .
I am taking a small box of documents with me in hand luggage but I want to know if I will need the birth certificates, also anything I will need to register for anything e.g doctors. The less I have to carry the better, thanks James.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 12:35 pm
Alone again, naturally

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we need birth certificates

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey View Post
Hi.

We are off in 6 weeks and I am packing,well the wife is anyway .
I am taking a small box of documents with me in hand luggage but I want to know if I will need the birth certificates, also anything I will need to register for anything e.g doctors. The less I have to carry the better, thanks James.
You need ID for everything over here, I'd bring them. The more proof of your identity that you have, the better.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

I agree! Bring them!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:33 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
You need ID for everything over here, I'd bring them. The more proof of your identity that you have, the better.
I think this may depend on which state you choose. I've not found that I have to show ID more so than the UK.

Obviously when we first arrived we were playing catchup on about 20 years worth of memberships and officialdom so at that time we had to show ID a lot but nowadays I hardly need it. I can't think of anything here for which I have to show ID and for which I wouldn't have shown one in the UK.

As for the OP. Yes bring all docs. You may need them. For example you'll need them if you want to become a citizen.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

And marriage certificate if your wife changed her name.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

ID has been my biggest headache and I am australian... cant say that i have shown my bcerts here as they arent australian, but passports, citizenship certs, visa card, letter from shippers, letter from uk employer stating termination of employment, details of new bank account, bank statement old uk ones or new au ones, letter from school saying the kids are in school in au.... gosh i could go on... it has taken me nearly 2 weeks to sort out ID. The easiest was drivers license, fill in form, present passport, give details of old license held ie. last address known to them, take eye test, smile for the camera and 5 min later a license. Centrelink and medicare were another kettle of fish and i still have to sort out family assistance... they want details of my first visa when i arrived in 1981 as a 5 yo! Then they wanted my original citizenship cert, but that is in the uk as it belongs to my mum... finally they agreed on seeing my passport AGAIN for the 3rd time!

So whatever you have, bring it!!!!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:53 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Do we need birth certificates

Originally Posted by MartinLuther View Post
I think this may depend on which state you choose. I've not found that I have to show ID more so than the UK.

Obviously when we first arrived we were playing catchup on about 20 years worth of memberships and officialdom so at that time we had to show ID a lot but nowadays I hardly need it. I can't think of anything here for which I have to show ID and for which I wouldn't have shown one in the UK.

As for the OP. Yes bring all docs. You may need them. For example you'll need them if you want to become a citizen.
What I find frustrating is that you need a passport for everything in the UK, because they still don't have a 100-point ID check system. Driver's licenses are often refused (unless you can show the plastic and paper forms; who came up with that moronic idea?); an Australian birth certificate is obviously unacceptable; I've even had my NHS card knocked back. No consistency, no method, rationale, no clue.

I suspect there's a lot of people buying passports just so they have the right ID for banks, etc.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 11:16 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

I have to show ID to people I have known since we were at school in the '70s, just so they can tick the box since 9/11.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 11:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede View Post
....(unless you can show the plastic and paper forms; who came up with that moronic idea?)...
And even moronic is if you lose said licence. If you lose both plastic and paper forms you can apply for new ones online. If you lose one but not the other then you have to get form 500WTF (or whatever) from the post office and apply for a replacement through the mail.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 11:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The Bloke View Post
I have to show ID to people I have known since we were at school in the '70s, just so they can tick the box since 9/11.
That's Queensland for you
Old Jun 25th 2008, 11:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by homewardbound View Post
IThen they wanted my original citizenship cert, but that is in the uk as it belongs to my mum..
If you mean you were naturalised as a child before 2002, it would be strongly recommended to get your own citizenship certificate (use form 119).
Old Jun 26th 2008, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

ah thanks JAJ i wondered how i would get my own cert...
Old Jun 26th 2008, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I was going to bring them I was just going to send them via shipping which would mean I would not have them on arrival, I will take in hand luggage, thanks again James .
Old Jun 26th 2008, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

And even moronic is if you lose said licence. If you lose both plastic and paper forms you can apply for new ones online. If you lose one but not the other then you have to get form 500WTF (or whatever) from the post office and apply for a replacement through the mail.
Interesting! I have misplaced the paper portion. I contacted DVLA who said that I had to get both replaced, as the "issue number" for both had to match. I have just paid nearly £20 for the priviledge.

(PS -that was 3hrs ago....grrr..wish I'd waited til tomorrow when I would have seen your post!)
Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc View Post
Interesting! I have misplaced the paper portion. I contacted DVLA who said that I had to get both replaced, as the "issue number" for both had to match. I have just paid nearly £20 for the priviledge.

(PS -that was 3hrs ago....grrr..wish I'd waited til tomorrow when I would have seen your post!)
I think you still have to pay when you use the form although it may have been slightly cheaper. The issue number at least explains the difference (but I still think it's moronic).

Things have obviously changed a little since I had to do this about 5 years ago. They wouldn't let me do the online/telephone thing because I had only lost the paper copy. They told me I had to use the form. In the end I rang back later and said I had lost both bits.