Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

do we move to aus, cape town, or stay in UK? advice needed urgently

do we move to aus, cape town, or stay in UK? advice needed urgently

Old May 1st 2008, 10:51 am
Just Joined

watkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default do we move to aus, cape town, or stay in UK? advice needed urgently

My wonderful hubby has been offered 3 jobs within his current company (lucky git!), one based in the UK, one based in cape town south africa, and one based just north of Sydney. We have 2 daughters aged 2 and 6, and a labrador dog we want to bring with us. We've looked at renting in the central coast area, and would appreciate any advice on places to avoid renting, what schools are like, etc. Also if you had the three options we have, what would you choose and why. We have to make a decision by Monday 5th May 2008. thanks very much!!!
Old May 1st 2008, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do we move to aus, cape town, or stay in UK? advice needed urgently

Originally Posted by watkat
My wonderful hubby has been offered 3 jobs within his current company (lucky git!), one based in the UK, one based in cape town south africa, and one based just north of Sydney. We have 2 daughters aged 2 and 6, and a labrador dog we want to bring with us. We've looked at renting in the central coast area, and would appreciate any advice on places to avoid renting, what schools are like, etc. Also if you had the three options we have, what would you choose and why. We have to make a decision by Monday 5th May 2008. thanks very much!!!
where are you living at the moment?
Old May 1st 2008, 11:06 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Sydney or UK. Wild horses wouldn't get me to S. Africa. Ask the same question in the Africa forum and see what they say.
Old May 1st 2008, 11:20 am
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
Sydney or UK. Wild horses wouldn't get me to S. Africa. Ask the same question in the Africa forum and see what they say.
Agree wholeheartedly!

I left Africa 30 years ago, and there is nothing that could entice me back now.

Have many friends here who have left recently, and I can't believe what they went through after I left.

M
Old May 1st 2008, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

from the comments by my SAfrican mate, who is from Capetown, I would avoid SA at all costs.

She was there from Nov-Feb on an extended holiday. She had to start preparing dinner as soon as they got up in the morning as you never know when the power cuts will begin.
There are huge problems with SA economy and power cuts are the visible signs- every day for up to 8 hours.

Well that and the huge crime problem makes it not a place to rush to.

Seems your choice might be narrowed to 2 places.
Old May 1st 2008, 11:25 am
Just Joined

We live in Somerset in the UK. Would our lifestyle change for the better by moving to Aus? I would hope to spend more time outside with the kids and dog. Also how does the school system work. My 6 year old is now in year1, goes to year 2 in Sept. My 2 year old has a place at pre-school starting in sept, and goes to reception class at school when shes 4. I have been to cape town, and it seems ok, but the security worries me, especially with 2 girls.
Old May 1st 2008, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Helen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to all

Hello there. Well, I am English, but lived in SA for 20 years. We then moved back to England for 10 years, and have now been living in Sydney for 3 months. I would agree with the other posts - no way SA. Cape Town is lovely, but I would not trust it. And as mentioned, would you want to live without regular power? I do not find much difference between England and Australia. We have not had the best weather since we arrived here, so have not really had weather benefit. The traffic in Sydney is awful - so be prepared for that. It is also a lot more expensive than the Uk. So, whatever you decide - good luck!
Old May 1st 2008, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

capetosydney will become famous soon enoughcapetosydney will become famous soon enough

We live in Somerset in the UK. Would our lifestyle change for the better by moving to Aus? I would hope to spend more time outside with the kids and dog. Also how does the school system work. My 6 year old is now in year1, goes to year 2 in Sept. My 2 year old has a place at pre-school starting in sept, and goes to reception class at school when shes 4. I have been to cape town, and it seems ok, but the security worries me, especially with 2 girls.
Hi Watkat

I'm currently in Cape Town, and while the crime and electricity problems might be somewhat exaggerated (we haven't had power cut since early Jan in our suburb, 'lucky us'), it is fair to say CT is not all that is cracked up to be. Windy like hell in summer, swimming in the sea pretty much out of the question because sea temp is 'balmy' 16-17C at most, and generally not all that great. More like normal city with a nice mountain as a backdrop and by the sea, nothing too special. Cost of the living has dramatically increased over the last few years, and to live normal conservative life (relatively speaking) one needs at least R35-40K (or 2500 pounds p/m after paying tax). We have lived here since '92 and unless you're here on temp basis with company paying for all the living expenses, I’d strongly suggest against CT and SA in general. Nice to visits for few weeks, but that's about it.
Old May 1st 2008, 12:24 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read any of the other posts, but my guess is that you already know where you want to go.... you posted the Q on the AUSTRALIA forum!!!

Good luck in your new life in Australia! We're just waiting for the damn house to sell!!!

Ali
Old May 1st 2008, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice

Originally Posted by capetosydney
Hi Watkat

I'm currently in Cape Town, and while the crime and electricity problems might be somewhat exaggerated (we haven't had power cut since early Jan in our suburb, 'lucky us'), it is fair to say CT is not all that is cracked up to be. Windy like hell in summer, swimming in the sea pretty much out of the question because sea temp is 'balmy' 16-17C at most, and generally not all that great. More like normal city with a nice mountain as a backdrop and by the sea, nothing too special. Cost of the living has dramatically increased over the last few years, and to live normal conservative life (relatively speaking) one needs at least R35-40K (or 2500 pounds p/m after paying tax). We have lived here since '92 and unless you're here on temp basis with company paying for all the living expenses, I’d strongly suggest against CT and SA in general. Nice to visits for few weeks, but that's about it.
I'm living in SA at the moment, and have been for the last 26yrs but urgently want to get out and back to Scotland. SA is a beautiful country, and has great weather and a great outdoors life, but the reality of it, is that it is a violent country, with senseless violent crimes being committed on a daily basis, the power crisis is frustrating, and although we have scheduled days/times for load-shedding (when your power will be turned off), you're lucky if those days/times are adhered too, the water is un-drinkable, and the cost of living is soaring through the roof, there is increasing interest rates, increasing petrol prices, increasing rates, food has never been so expensive, plus next year Zuma has a chance of becoming SA President, and he's so corrupt it's not even funny, never mind the lack of education he has, so whatever you do, please don't decided to come to live in South Africa, it's not funny living in fear on a daily basis.
Old May 1st 2008, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

shella_n is an unknown quantity at this point

Definately avoid SA. My husband is from SA and would dearly love to be back there with family etc but there is absolutely no way we can do it - crime and corruption are rife. We have 2 daughters and he says he would not be able to sleep at night from worry of what might happen to them. He has countless friends and acquananices who have been burgled, raped and murdered. Indeed my husband was shot at and held hostage in Cape Town 10 years ago which is what made him leave the country. The only reason he survived it was becuase he was in the army and had a gun on him.

Sorry - dont want to completely scare you but I cant recommend strongly enough that you avoid it.

Australia is lovely and my husband said when we were there that it reminded him so much of hom - but without the crime - which is one of the reasons that we are looking to move there.

Good luck to you - whatever you decide.
Old May 1st 2008, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

' swimming in the sea pretty much out of the question because sea temp is 'balmy' 16-17C at most '

I wish it was that warm when I went for a holiday. It was bloody freezing.
Went to Seaton or Seacliff 4 beach I think it was called and my legs went blue buy the time the sea got to my knees. When the water got a bit higher my balls receeded so far they hit my chin and didn't come back down for 3 days.
I agree that it was a great place to visit, climb Table Mountain, Mama Africa's resturant, Green Street market, V & A waterfront, all great places but more than a bit weird to have to pay on the street or in car parks for someone to watch over your car so it didn't get done over. Also lots of signs on houses with warnings of Armed and Medicle response, Electried fences, guard dogs in grounds etc. Must admit I never felt I was unsafe at any time though.

Johnnyyt
Old May 1st 2008, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, I've pretty much decided to go to Aus, but my husband has family in SA, so he would like to go there. As we are debating (or arguing) the move every day, and we're changing our minds or failing to agree whats best, i have a feeling we will end up staying put in the uk, just to have made a decision and be done with it! Any helpful advice to persuade him that Aus is best would be great!
Old May 1st 2008, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

capetosydney will become famous soon enoughcapetosydney will become famous soon enough

[I wish it was that warm when I went for a holiday. It was bloody freezing.
Went to Seaton or Seacliff 4 beach I think it was called and my legs went blue buy the time the sea got to my knees. When the water got a bit higher my balls receeded so far they hit my chin and didn't come back down for 3 days.
Johnnyyt[/QUOTE]

LOL
I feel you mate, I'm still looking for mine after 10 years....brilliant…you're probably talking about Clifton 4th beach, one with the stairs. Yes, beautiful looking beach but sea is way toooo cold…You’re quite right, nice place to visit but not to live, subconsciously thinking all the time about crime and all else is to much too bear.
Old May 1st 2008, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

We moved to Cape Town from the UK in 2004.

We knew we had made a mistake the moment we landed. Three words:

1. Crime
2. Corruption
3. Poverty

We had not been back in Cape Town for three months before I printed off the application forms for an Australian visa.

Our visa was approved - after a fair few delays last year and we leave in three weeks' time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.