Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do we go for it or not????

Do we go for it or not????

Old Mar 13th 2007, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

SharonHall1205 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do we go for it or not????

My husband, myself and my 6yr old and 3yr old came out to Brisbane (Sunshire Coast, Caloundra) at Christmas time for a month.

We thoroughly enjoyed it and are now back in the UK wondering whether or not we should go for it!

It's such a big decision to make, and whilst I can't think of a good reason to stay here, it's a big decision to actully take the plunge.

One minute I know exactly what we're doing (we're starting to fill in our Visa forms) and the next minute I''m very unsure and almost frightened. I worry about the kids and their schools etc. We've always lived in the same village but something does feel very right about immigrating.

My Husband is a Carpenter, so we don't have to 'blag' our way through the forms, so are going to do it without an Agent.

Whilst we were on King's Beach the day before Christmas Eve, we met some ladies from Little Mountain who told us about this site, and they told us that we'd get some honest views - so lets have them!!
Old Mar 13th 2007, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do we go for it or not????

Hi there, well the mixed emotions are kinda common and have lasted me right through this process. Yeah it is a huge step BUT if you think it is right for you and yours why not give it a bash. What's to lose ( maybe don't answer that yet!). Nothing ventured nothing gained. We are hopefully off to Brisbane the end of April. Excited and scared at the same time but I can't wait. Good luck with whatever you and your family decide.

Donna
Old Mar 13th 2007, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

It's such a big step isn't it. On reading some of the questions on the site, I realise that we're not on our own. I don't feel that the children have a wonderful future in the UK and want what is best for them.

I know that I will make new friends, and ou friends here can come and see us. My Mum and Dad will be out like a shot for 6 month holidays at a time!!!!! but it is still a huge huge change.

How long did it take you from start to finish?
Old Mar 13th 2007, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

We went out on holiday 2005, started our skills assessment Jan 2006 and finally got our visa sent off May 2006. Visa granted Feb this year. It is a long process and patience is so needed. It I guess is a kinda of trial, if you want it bad enough you will go thru it. This site will be a godsend to you. So much info on it, good for answering queries and sharing with folk in the same boat.

Donna
Old Mar 13th 2007, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Did you do it yourself or go through an Agent? My Husband is a Site Manager/Carpenter, so has all the relevant skills and qualifications so it is just a case of filling in the correct boxes, I'm guessing.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi we did it ourselves. Lots of info gathering and the forms are really repetitive, however we managed. Do lots of research first, read the immi booklets and there is always help on here. Where you thinking of heading to in Oz?

Donna
Old Mar 13th 2007, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

We stayed in Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast, but went to Brisbane and Sydney. We found a little suburb called Little Mountain, which was lovely, but because of Georges' work, I think we might head towards Brisbane more, although in saying that, there is a huge hospital planned for erection at Caloundra in the next 2 years, so staying up there could be a possibility. what about you?
Old Mar 13th 2007, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SharonHall1205
My husband, myself and my 6yr old and 3yr old came out to Brisbane (Sunshire Coast, Caloundra) at Christmas time for a month.

We thoroughly enjoyed it and are now back in the UK wondering whether or not we should go for it!

It's such a big decision to make, and whilst I can't think of a good reason to stay here, it's a big decision to actully take the plunge.

One minute I know exactly what we're doing (we're starting to fill in our Visa forms) and the next minute I''m very unsure and almost frightened. I worry about the kids and their schools etc. We've always lived in the same village but something does feel very right about immigrating.

My Husband is a Carpenter, so we don't have to 'blag' our way through the forms, so are going to do it without an Agent.

Whilst we were on King's Beach the day before Christmas Eve, we met some ladies from Little Mountain who told us about this site, and they told us that we'd get some honest views - so lets have them!!
If i were me i would but thats me and we are the question is do you wont to emmigrate and you sound like you do so go for it , if you dont try it you will always wonder what if. I am a sparky and we used an agent due to the complexity off my personal case ,but it all went plain sailing and got visa within 9 month from start to finish. good look and go for it.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

We stayed in Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast, but went to Brisbane and Sydney. We found a little suburb called Little Mountain, which was lovely, but because of Georges' work, I think we might head towards Brisbane more, although in saying that, there is a huge hospital planned for erection at Caloundra in the next 2 years, so staying up there could be a possibility. what about you?
Hi we are heading to Brisbane. Loved it when out in 2005 and have researched jobs for us. We are both mental health nurses and are hoping to work at the Royal Brisbane. Are you in health care.

Donna
Old Mar 13th 2007, 9:41 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think this is something anyone else can help you with really,

I read the posts of the people who hate it and are returning home and also the ones of people who have gone updating everyone on how they like it to get a balanced view, I think that is all you can do really,but good luck in what you do decide

Kim
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:46 am
SJR
Forum Regular

SJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to all

Hi

When we started the process we were the same. We were so sure that it was what we wanted but we got a bit scared once we'd got the ball rolling. We just kept in mind that we may get knocked back and then the decision is out of our hands. The process is long but it's for a reason, it gives people time to really think about it at each stage and I expect that many people drop out in the early stages. When we were due to hear whether we had our visas I wasn't feeling good anyway and was worried about how I would react to the news...either way. We got the visa and I was ecstatic!

We've been here for 14 months now and the first year had it's ups and downs but we've really settled down now. Our girls settled incredibly well, they are aged 9.5 and 11 now. They love their new school, have lots of friends and are involved in so many activities. They don't really mention 'home' which is a bit sad really!! They have the odd msn conversation with their friends back home but that's about it.

That's our experience anyway but as somebody else said on BE, it's different for everyone.

Good luck.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice! I started to fill in the forms last night. They seemed relatively easy, just repetitive.

Alot can happen in the months that it takes us to collate all the information, so that will give us time to really think hard!

Sharon.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

BoredinBelfast is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Do we go for it or not????

Hi, It's good to see we are not the only ones with this dilema!! We have 2 young kids 4 and 1 and are keen to offer them the best quality of life we can -I've spent so long researching property prices, schools and job prospects that my head hurts! I guess what we really need to do is bite the bullet and make a decision (finally). One thing that bothers me is for my skills assessment needing to tell my employer of my intentions.

Best of luck with your application & I hope you and your family enjoy the adventure!
Old Mar 15th 2007, 9:17 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

lets hope we dont see a similar post from you in ten years time. think about it?
Old Mar 15th 2007, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

A year ago I would have said "Go for it - you only live once"

Now I'm not so sure.

For us it has been a good move (but I'm not sure how long we'll stay).
But for too many others it has been a nightmare. Just spend a bit of time reading the Moving back to the UK forum.

From your brief post I'm not so sure that there's much evidence that it will work for you. Same village all of your life? That would be my number one alarm bell.

Not thinking of a good reason to stay in England would be my number two alarm bell. Shouldn't you be driven by a desire to see the rest of the world?

If you do take the plunge for goodness sake don't sell your house!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.