Reload this Page >

do we give up all our uk benefits and pensions

do we give up all our uk benefits and pensions

Old Dec 14th 2005, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

michelle-leicester-perth is on a distinguished road
Default do we give up all our uk benefits and pensions

hi all
just wondering,, it's obvious that we cannot claim family tax credit in england when we are in perth, but what about pension payments ? my husband recieves disibility living allowance as his left arm was paralised after an accident. we understand that you cannt claim any benefits of this kind for up to 10 years in aus, so would the claim still stand in england and my husband still be entitled to it??
just wondering if anyone has had any experience on this matter!
many thanks!!
63 days till we move to perth!
from michelle
Old Dec 14th 2005, 8:02 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do we give up all our uk benefits and pensions

Originally Posted by michelle-leicester-perth
hi all
just wondering,, it's obvious that we cannot claim family tax credit in england when we are in perth, but what about pension payments ? my husband recieves disibility living allowance as his left arm was paralised after an accident. we understand that you cannt claim any benefits of this kind for up to 10 years in aus, so would the claim still stand in england and my husband still be entitled to it??
just wondering if anyone has had any experience on this matter!
many thanks!!
63 days till we move to perth!
from michelle
Two of the conditions you have to meet in order to get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) are that must be living in the UK when you actually claim DLA and the UK must be your normal place of residence.

So, once you're in Perth your husband will no longer be entitled to claim DLA.

On another note, you seem a bit confused with your dates. You are right in saying that you won't be entitled to an Oz retirement pension until you've been there for 10 years. But for other benefits, there is only a two year waiting period for PR visa holders. (But, in any case at the moment Australia doesn't have a benefit equivalent to the UK DLA.)

For more info on the Australian benefits system, have a look here:
http://www.centrelink.gov.au

Gina