Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

do visitors have to pay to see doctor ?

Wikiposts

do visitors have to pay to see doctor ?

Old Jun 29th 2006, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do visitors have to pay to see doctor ?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
At least she will be able to go to a "new" doctors here, without all the crap and bullshiit that goes along with a visit to somewhere new in the UK. Almost certainly she will be greeted with a welcoming smile and genuine interest.

Mind you I've just realised something, Whilst on holidays last year, our 7 year old had to visit the Doctor. Unregistrered, no NI number, 100 pct Aussie passport.... up in Wales, they just snuck us in, to my parents gp, Gave him a prescription for antibiotics, which we got filled for almost nothing...... I think it's how one approaches these situations that determines how one gets treated. EDIT... Just confirmed with my wife, we didn't pay at all the the prescription to be filled.

Not letting you totally off the hook though MS, My 21 year old, dual passport holding daughter, now for all intents, residing in the UK, had to jump through hoops and bash through walls, to find a dentist and GP, a very different situation for newcomers to this country.

I wasn't going to turn this into an Oz-UK debate, however...

General visits to Oz GP are fine. But, I certainly have misgivings about more serious medical assistance.

Having had many years experience of both UK and Oz medical systems, the quality of treatment provided under the NHS is far superior. As for being greeted with a smile, I can't speak for your UK-based doc, but ours is just fine.

The main problem with the Oz Medicare system is you never know if doctors advise various procedures because of the large amount of private health funding. For example, an Aussie doc advised that my daughter undergo a procedure which he described as "not very pleasant", "will certainly help.." and cost $15k - a lot reclaimable under a health fund. We thought about it and returned to discuss it further. However, this time the Oz doc wasn't there, it was a German locum. The locum was suprised to hear that the procedure had been recommended, because "research in Europe showed that there was no evidence that it makes any real difference".

We weren't impressed.

BTW, of course dentists are easy to find in Oz, have you checked out the prices recently?
Old Jun 29th 2006, 8:11 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
I wasn't going to turn this into an Oz-UK debate, however...

General visits to Oz GP are fine. But, I certainly have misgivings about more serious medical assistance.

Having had many years experience of both UK and Oz medical systems, the quality of treatment provided under the NHS is far superior. As for being greeted with a smile, I can't speak for your UK-based doc, but ours is just fine.

The main problem with the Oz Medicare system is you never know if doctors advise various procedures because of the large amount of private health funding. For example, an Aussie doc advised that my daughter undergo a procedure which he described as "not very pleasant", "will certainly help.." and cost $15k - a lot reclaimable under a health fund. We thought about it and returned to discuss it further. However, this time the Oz doc wasn't there, it was a German locum. The locum was suprised to hear that the procedure had been recommended, because "research in Europe showed that there was no evidence that it makes any real difference".

We weren't impressed.

BTW, of course dentists are easy to find in Oz, have you checked out the prices recently?
I recently had to spend a night at Royal Perth Hospital & found the standard of care to be very high & on a par with the NHS. All the things that needed to be done to me were done efficiently & quickly. I reckon Medicare & NHS are on a similar level.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 8:15 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

My Daughter had a night at Joondalup and even though the staff were very nice we were given totally the wrong perscriptions (2 medicines). wrong doses and wrong delivery methods.