Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

do uk plugs work in oz

Wikiposts

do uk plugs work in oz

Old Jan 29th 2005, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Manchester UK to Sydney, then decided Gold Coast, stayed there for 8 months and now back in sydney
threlly is on a distinguished road
Default do uk plugs work in oz

hi,
i have a lot of extension leads and power cables for computers, do they have the same plugs in oz as in uk. or is it not worth taking them over? also, can i take my hairdryer, hair straightners/curlers etc? will they work
cheers for any help
Old Jan 29th 2005, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice
Default Re: do uk plugs work in oz

no the plugs are different here...why would you think they were the same

Many people when they first get here bring 4/6 way gang plugs and just change the end of that over to an aussie plug until you get around to changing the rest of your plugs...so bring your stuff....unless they have those moulded plugs...which you might find hard to change over.

love sophia x
Old Jan 29th 2005, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by threlly
hi,
i have a lot of extension leads and power cables for computers, do they have the same plugs in oz as in uk. or is it not worth taking them over? also, can i take my hairdryer, hair straightners/curlers etc? will they work
cheers for any help
B&Q sell plug,s that you can put your,s into and have the ozzie pin,s in (same as going to spain etc, but just different plug,s), one less thing to search for when you get over there.all electrical thing,s will work over there.
Old Jan 29th 2005, 6:05 am
Here at last

Location: Now here in sunny Sandy Beach, near Coffs Harbour, N.S.W.)
TheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really nice

Originally Posted by threlly
hi,
cheers for any help
You could also just cut the plug off the extension leads and replace it with an Oz plug and still use all your UK stuff. Saves messing about replacing them all!

Seems I should of read Sophia's reply before I started typing!!

Last edited by TheRossers; Jan 29th 2005 at 6:08 am.
Old Jan 29th 2005, 11:20 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Beware though, it's 10 amps here, not 13, so don't bring your 3kW fan heaters, fast-boil kettles etc.
Old Jan 29th 2005, 11:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

More info on plugs here than you can shake a stick at......

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261775