Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do Uk phones work in Australia?

Do Uk phones work in Australia?

Old Oct 20th 2004, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Beccalass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do Uk phones work in Australia?

Silly question I know, but I've tried the manufacturers and even they don't seem to know. I've brought a few units from the UK as part of my home office and can't make them work. Should I give up and scrap them?

Becca
Old Oct 20th 2004, 8:32 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Do Uk phones work in Australia?

Hiya, phones should work but if not then you may need to get them 'unlocked.' We brought out Nokia 5210's and they were / are fine. This is a good site....all kinds of info on there : www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/beforeyougo.php and a couple of links to companies that can do the unlocking.

Hope that helps
Old Oct 20th 2004, 8:35 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beccalass
Silly question I know, but I've tried the manufacturers and even they don't seem to know. I've brought a few units from the UK as part of my home office and can't make them work. Should I give up and scrap them?

Becca
Another silly qusetion - do you mean Home Phones or Mobile Phones?
Old Oct 20th 2004, 9:12 am
Going to Perth late 2005

timk is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Another silly qusetion - do you mean Home Phones or Mobile Phones?
Mobile phones will work if they are unlocked.

What about home cordless phones - do they work and do they conform to AUS regulations regarding transmitters (ie correct frequency and will not cause interference to other systems)

Surely there must be an expert out there?

Cheers
Tim
Old Oct 20th 2004, 9:50 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

might be worth doing a search on this site as I know when we were arranging to come over we wanted to bring our cordless. The advice we were given was a) that you definitely weren't / aren't allowed to but also that they wouldn't work for some reason. Not sure of the techie side of things.

Sorry....just presumed we were talking about mobiles....
Old Oct 20th 2004, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Do Uk phones work in Australia?

I remember reading somewhere I while ago that home phones, cordless or otherwise are definitely not allowed into Oz from the UK. Apparently its a security thing, different frequencies etc. I don't really understand the reasoning but I think it would cause trouble, probably be confiscated at customs and probably get a fine thrown in. Not worth the trouble!

Melbourne in two weeks, I can't wait!
Old Oct 20th 2004, 10:44 am
Going to Perth late 2005

Originally Posted by melibeam
I don't really understand the reasoning but I think it would cause trouble, probably be confiscated at customs and probably get a fine thrown in. Not worth the trouble!

Melbourne in two weeks, I can't wait!
I've checked other posts, and it seems that our cordless phones do not comply to Austel standards, therefore best not to bring them, looks like someone in my family will inherit some nice phones.

Good luck in Melboune, hope it all works out for you.

Tim
Old Oct 20th 2004, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Beccalass is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by timk
I've checked other posts, and it seems that our cordless phones do not comply to Austel standards, therefore best not to bring them, looks like someone in my family will inherit some nice phones.

Good luck in Melboune, hope it all works out for you.

Tim
Sorry guys, I should have given more details.

One is one of those fax/printer/scanner jobs and the other is a good old BT with headset (they cost a bomb here and I really don't fancy having to replace it. Not cordless or mobiles (they worked a treat)

Becca
Old Oct 20th 2004, 1:57 pm
Going to Perth late 2005

One is one of those fax/printer/scanner jobs and the other is a good old BT with headset (they cost a bomb here and I really don't fancy having to replace it. Not cordless or mobiles (they worked a treat)

Becca
They will work but you will need to have a new connector crimped on end or use a adaptor

Tim
Old Oct 28th 2004, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

cazzamack is on a distinguished road

Becca

So the cordless phones brought over from the UK worked ok without modification? You were able to just plug them in and hey presto? I have a set of 4 cordless phones that i would like to bring with me.

Cheers

Cazza
Old Oct 28th 2004, 8:23 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

I can confirm that our set of UK standard digital cordless base station, answering machine & phone handsets DO NOT work, and we've tried everything. They were very expensive, too, *damn*. Just had to go buy an equivalent Aussie set (~$350 for digital base phone & 2 handsets)!

My ancient fax machine claims a dialing tone when we connect it to the Aussie telephone network, but it won't recognise dialled calls out, or ring for incoming calls (could be the perfect phone system: low cost, as can't make calls out, no disturbance as can't get calls in, couldn't it...?)

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by anya4oz
I can confirm that our set of UK standard digital cordless base station, answering machine & phone handsets DO NOT work, and we've tried everything. They were very expensive, too, *damn*. Just had to go buy an equivalent Aussie set (~$350 for digital base phone & 2 handsets)!

My ancient fax machine claims a dialing tone when we connect it to the Aussie telephone network, but it won't recognise dialled calls out, or ring for incoming calls (could be the perfect phone system: low cost, as can't make calls out, no disturbance as can't get calls in, couldn't it...?)

Cheers,
Anya.
Bummer - ours is quite a nice and expensive set too.

Thanks everso for the information. Thats another thing for the car boot pile!!!
Old Oct 28th 2004, 9:11 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by timk
They will work but you will need to have a new connector crimped on end or use a adaptor

Tim
Ours wouldn't, even with the correct Aussie std cables!

[If anyone finds a way to beat them into submission I'm still interested, even tho I've just forked out for new Aussie ones.....]

Cheers
Anya.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

[If anyone finds a way to beat them into submission I'm still interested, even tho I've just forked out for new Aussie ones.....]

Cheers
Anya.
Me too, John (my partner) is now sulking that he will have to leave them behind!!!
Old Oct 28th 2004, 10:04 am
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future

Cheers
Anya.

We brought over our DECT cordless phone and with a trip to bunnings for an adaptor it works perfectly.
It was an adaptor like you get for your pc..One of those big chunky ends that converts to a RJ12(a bit smaller than a uk telephone plug)if that makes sense.
Darren

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.