Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do they really charge 10% on all we take?

Do they really charge 10% on all we take?

Old May 28th 2003, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

ayanem is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Do they really charge 10% on all we take?

I phoned Pickfords today to get a quote for moving us to Perth. I was a little taken aback when I was told about the 10% tax the Australian government would take on the value of our goods coming into the country.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

Mary
Old May 28th 2003, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

nobody has told me this ? had a few quotes, so i would also like to see the answer
Old May 28th 2003, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

pabloako is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do they really charge 10% on all we take?

I was under the impression that you only paid import duty on goods that were less than 12 months old.
Might be wrong though!

Originally posted by ayanem
I phoned Pickfords today to get a quote for moving us to Perth. I was a little taken aback when I was told about the 10% tax the Australian government would take on the value of our goods coming into the country.

Mary
Old May 28th 2003, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

barry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nice

Mary
Most certainly not Mary - these are your personal effects. You will only be expected to pay the 10% tax (GST) on goods that are less than 12 months old. If you have any new items then keep purchase invoices as proof.

I work as a customs agent in the UK and the same applies here. You would be expected to declare new items / alcohol/ booze /perfume etc and have to pay the taxes/vat. hope these eases your mind
Old May 28th 2003, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Seems like you have your answer but one thing to say is, a friend of a friend is using Pickfords to move to Oz and they have nothing but praise for them. Couldn't be more helpful apparently, nothing too much trouble.
Old May 28th 2003, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

mr mover will no doubt answer this one..

cheers

richard
Old May 28th 2003, 7:23 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Mary

Absolute RUBBISH just goes to show what other people have said on other threads is correct Pickford are useless !!!!!!
Old May 29th 2003, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

ayanem is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the input. Nice to know there are such helpful and informed people out there - which is more than can be said for Pickfords.

Mary
Old May 29th 2003, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Growler is an unknown quantity at this point

How does this work for alcohol that you have, but is open or more than a year old? How do they determine how 'new' something is? I bought a second hand amp recently, which is more than a year old. Is that less than 12 months?

Confused
Old May 29th 2003, 7:38 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by barry&carol
You will only be expected to pay the 10% tax (GST) on goods that are less than 12 months old.
When taxed on income there is double tax treaty between UK & Oz so tax is not paid in full in both countries.

Along those lines, for goods less than 12mths that have had 17.5% VAT charged upon them, can the 10% GST element be reclaimed? I have a feeling the answer will be no, but it is worth asking.