Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

DO THAY WANT YOU OR NOT

DO THAY WANT YOU OR NOT

Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DO THAY WANT YOU OR NOT

Originally Posted by Clippies
I remember we had to make sure he was assessed as a carpenter & joiner as at the time it carried more points than carpenter, or was on MODL and carpenter wasn't - or something like that, can't remember exactly but I know Carpenter was added at a later date so it wouldn't have mattered.

Jeeze I'm a bugger for taking thread off topic aren't I

Give in then and yes you are
Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:47 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Give in then and yes you are
Aw ya lightweight you give in too easy
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

brissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nice

Can i just ask,why do people go over to oz and not know about the licences and test they have to redo over there, thought this was common knowledge, i do feel sorry for people that dont know this and are disappointed when they cant get jobs, think this should actually be explained to people doing thier various things such as TRA etc, must admit we probably only know down to my sis living in oz before us and BE and a great person called Steve'o
and we did research what my hubby has to do when we get there, he is an electrician. think it might just be best to get whatever tests need to be done and at least your what they call "oz qualified"

kels x
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:14 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by on a mission
So what, arent you proud of this fact, that the country you are going to takes care in the fact its vetting people, and you are safer from the dodgy people out there , which exist.

I share your fustration , but its just another hurdle.

I also think you may find some kind of protection too, from Aussie companies.

i worked for a one man band, who constantly made it out as wasnt as good as him, infact I was better alot better, more travelled and had far more site and industrial experience than he could dream off.

reality is, people know yu maybe more experienced and qualified, but its there jobs they are protecting, its just a hurdle of emigration that you need to deal with the best you can and not get too down about it.

look at the Uk, we have over 2.5 million migrants working here now since 2005, who has vetted them, I bet not one government inititive is in place....

I bet your top dollar, all the "so called" electricians, roofers , plumbers , plasterers arent and have caused complet chaos... and ripped people off and done completely botchy jobs, imagine how many deaths, accidents or near misses are caused by this.
Vetting! Have a serious chat with yourself.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:16 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynn59
ONE IS A NURSE. HAS BEEN FOR 20 YRS , BUT WHEN SHE APPLIES FOR WORK THAY TELL HER SHE ISNT QUALIFIED ENOUGH,

I'm sorry but as a nurse I find this hard to believe - it maybe that she hasn't a recognised qualification. I have had no trouble finding work and neither have my UK trained colleagues.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

pommie_sheila will become famous soon enough

My OH still got work albeit with tin-pot companies which allowed him to get his log book filled in. (he's in A/C but still needed the electrical licence) After he got certificate he could pick and choose. Yes, the TRA does state that it's assessment does not guarantee a licence but they still could at least advise on the time scale and costs involved. You don't find that out til you get to Oz.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:25 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies
I remember we had to make sure he was assessed as a carpenter & joiner as at the time it carried more points than carpenter, or was on MODL and carpenter wasn't - or something like that, can't remember exactly but I know Carpenter was added at a later date so it wouldn't have mattered.

Jeeze I'm a bugger for taking thread off topic aren't I
If they assessed him as a joiner only that would be a bench joiner i.e he'd be stuck in a factory banging out kitchen cabinets all day
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

[QUOTE=njk435;5107595]For the OP, you must realise that the TRA is an assessment to ensure you have relevant trade knowledge and experience, it is not a licence to practice your trade in Australia.

Relevant trade knowledge and experience, For what exactly ?
1 To be able to walk through the customs hall. ?
2 To be able to apply for a license ?
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brissie-here-we-come
Can i just ask,why do people go over to oz and not know about the licences and test they have to redo over there, thought this was common knowledge, i do feel sorry for people that dont know this and are disappointed when they cant get jobs, think this should actually be explained to people doing thier various things such as TRA etc, must admit we probably only know down to my sis living in oz before us and BE and a great person called Steve'o
and we did research what my hubby has to do when we get there, he is an electrician. think it might just be best to get whatever tests need to be done and at least your what they call "oz qualified"

kels x
Exactly! and am wishing you luck in your move. Not everyone has friends/family already in Oz to ask. We even have Oz friends who didn't know about it! But yes, this information should be made available to migrants, and hopefully more people will be reading this and will now know!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pogsy
Relevant trade knowledge and experience, For what exactly ?
1 To be able to walk through the customs hall. ?
2 To be able to apply for a license ?
It's to say that you have attended a course or have the same amount of experience that an Australian tradesperson has to have to be able to get a licence. As per the following extract form the Uniform Assessment Criteria on the TRA website: http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonl...ia4Oct2006.pdf
  1. Tradesperson: A tradesperson is an individual who has undergone formal or informal training or on-the-job trade-level work experience evidencing that they meet the benchmark of an Australian tradesperson. (See clause 5).
  2. 2.2. Accordingly, a tradesperson is deemed to be a person who can demonstrate trade-level skills in their designated trade and, where relevant, be able to:
  3. 2.2.1. work unsupervised across the full range of trade duties;
  4. 2.2.2. follow complex written and verbal directions;
  5. 2.2.3. complete trade work in accordance with relevant industry standards;
  6. 2.2.4. plan the method and order of progressing trade work;
  7. 2.2.5. work safely in accordance with workplace health and safety regulations; and
  8. 2.2.6. identify, select and use tools and equipment to complete trade task
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:43 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

It's to say that you have attended a course or have the same amount of experience that an Australian tradesperson has to have to be able to get a licence. As per the following extract form the Uniform Assessment Criteria on the TRA website: http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonl...ia4Oct2006.pdf
  1. Tradesperson: A tradesperson is an individual who has undergone formal or informal training or on-the-job trade-level work experience evidencing that they meet the benchmark of an Australian tradesperson. (See clause 5).
  2. 2.2. Accordingly, a tradesperson is deemed to be a person who can demonstrate trade-level skills in their designated trade and, where relevant, be able to:
  3. 2.2.1. work unsupervised across the full range of trade duties;
  4. 2.2.2. follow complex written and verbal directions;
  5. 2.2.3. complete trade work in accordance with relevant industry standards;
  6. 2.2.4. plan the method and order of progressing trade work;
  7. 2.2.5. work safely in accordance with workplace health and safety regulations; and
  8. 2.2.6. identify, select and use tools and equipment to complete trade task
Wendy...the female equivalent of Vash.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by pommie_sheila
Exactly! and am wishing you luck in your move. Not everyone has friends/family already in Oz to ask. We even have Oz friends who didn't know about it! But yes, this information should be made available to migrants, and hopefully more people will be reading this and will now know!

The thing is, it does tell you on the TRA site that you need need to be licenced in Australia, and that you may have to undergo additional training.

Section 7.7
    I knew as soon as we first thought of migrating, not because I read the TRA site but because the first thing I did was look at jobs, which asked for a fully licenced person. That then led me to see what that involved and how much it cost. It really is beyond me how people don't know this or bother to try and find out. (not directed at you pommie_shiela, or anyone else for that matter, just an observation from being on here for too long )
    Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:49 pm
    Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rossifumi
    Wendy...the female equivalent of Vash.

Google is your friend
    Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:51 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
    If they assessed him as a joiner only that would be a bench joiner i.e he'd be stuck in a factory banging out kitchen cabinets all day
    Jesus that would kill him! He'd go for Carpenter if he had to choose between the two. Works on big sites mainly here.
    Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:54 pm
    Forum Regular

The thing is, it does tell you on the TRA site that you need need to be licenced in Australia, and that you may have to undergo additional training.

Section 7.7
      I knew as soon as we first thought of migrating, not because I read the TRA site but because the first thing I did was look at jobs, which asked for a fully licenced person. That then led me to see what that involved and how much it cost. It really is beyond me how people don't know this or bother to try and find out. (not directed at you pommie_shiela, or anyone else for that matter, just an observation from being on here for too long )
      Well hindsight is a wonderful thing hey but OH is fully badged up now PLUS we have our citizenship so free to do as we please - like I said before ready for our next adventure GC here we come - again!!!

Last edited by pommie_sheila; Jul 26th 2007 at 12:56 pm. Reason: typo - doh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.