Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

do rentals allow pets

do rentals allow pets

Old Mar 1st 2010, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do rentals allow pets

We use to hide our cat for in Sydney whenever there was an inspection (not allowed pets). But when we moved out we got our full bond back, so just proved the landlord really had no basis to not allow pets.

I don’t understand why they don’t allow them, if they do any damage it will come out of the bond anyway.

In Canberra everyone seems to allow pets in rentals, I love it as no more needing to hide the cat whenever there is an inspection! Not sure what Melbourne is like.

I think a child does more damage in a rental.

Last edited by canadaeh; Mar 1st 2010 at 12:30 am.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

They might let you have a dog (or in your case two) in the rental if you promise not to let them in the rental i.e. they must be yard dogs and live outside 24/7.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 10:08 am
Just Joined

garyfish1968 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure i could keep the dogs outside
i dont really understand the whole thing about keeping pets outside??? they are not working dogs and not guard dogs. To me they are part of the family just like my children and i wont be keeping my children outside either!!!
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

I dont know about Melbourne but I moved to Sydney from NZ and brough tmy 2 dogs with me (granted they stayed behind for 3 months though but we already had a house).

I would never lie about having pets and any damage that has ever been caused by my kids (1 human and 2 dog) we fix - not that it generally happens.

I also would never leave my dogs behind - if they cant go I dont go simple as that, if they are more than pets to you (not you specifically but general) then you would never leave them. I have lived in my car before with one of my dogs (only for a tiny while though) and also when in NZ been down to about 4 days before I had to be out of one property and still hadnt found a new one yet because I refuse to lie about whether I have dogs or not.

I have found in Oz that pretty much every second house has a dog. I think you will be OK...you could always temporarily leave them behind with a friend or in a kennel until you find somewhere suitable.

Good luck
Old Mar 4th 2010, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

What type of dogs do you have? Smaller breeds are generally more accepted.
We were not allowed pets in our rental but when we were asked to take a small dog in because his owner had died, we asked permission & got it. We had to push to get him allowed inside though. Keeping pets outside is by far the norm here, so don't be too surprised if you get that as a condition.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 6:53 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Have a look at this site - PetFriendlyRentals has a lot of good advice.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
What type of dogs do you have? Smaller breeds are generally more accepted.
We were not allowed pets in our rental but when we were asked to take a small dog in because his owner had died, we asked permission & got it. We had to push to get him allowed inside though. Keeping pets outside is by far the norm here, so don't be too surprised if you get that as a condition.
When I applied for the house I had a 40kg lab/rotty x and a 20kg lab/staffy x - not even close to small dogs LOL.

When still have the lab/rotty but we also now have a 4kg foxy/shih tzu mix.

I do imagine landlords are probably a bit more lenient with small breeds but we managed with 2 decent sized dogs.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananalana
When I applied for the house I had a 40kg lab/rotty x and a 20kg lab/staffy x - not even close to small dogs LOL.

When still have the lab/rotty but we also now have a 4kg foxy/shih tzu mix.

I do imagine landlords are probably a bit more lenient with small breeds but we managed with 2 decent sized dogs.
I only mentioned it as you often see that one small pet is allowed!
I also think that there are plenty of people with big dogs in rental places, so it certainly can't be too difficult!
Old Mar 4th 2010, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
I only mentioned it as you often see that one small pet is allowed!
I also think that there are plenty of people with big dogs in rental places, so it certainly can't be too difficult!
there is definitely some lenience around size...i think most people have a mentality that the smaller the pet the less damage...how untrue!! Our little dog is always on the lookout for something to chew (not the house but shoes, toys, anything that can fit in her mouth) and our big dog was the opposite