Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do my UK driving endorsents follow me to Oz?

Do my UK driving endorsents follow me to Oz?

Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

cadwell parker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do my UK driving endorsents follow me to Oz?

Hi all,

I have spent some time looking for the answer to this but have drawn a blank.

Tried here...

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/

after following links from another thread elsewhere on the forum
but to no avail.

Can anyone tell me if the endorsements I have on my UK licence would be
transfered to my new Aussie licence when I move to QLD? I have one
speeding offence from this year and a disquallification from two years ago for
totting up points. I know, I should be more careful.

Can anyone say if these will be transfered when I present my UK licence at
the transport office or would I start with a nice fresh and clean Oz licence?

Hope someone can help.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

angela n steve is a jewel in the roughangela n steve is a jewel in the roughangela n steve is a jewel in the roughangela n steve is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Do my UK driving endorsents follow me to Oz?

I am almost sure they do im afraid, points on my licence counted when i hired a car in qld recently and my mate got a speeding ticket in western oz and that was put on uk licence when he returned.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 10:51 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cadwell parker
Hi all,

Tried here...

but to no avail.

Hope someone can help.
I'm pretty sure they don't. Your ozzie licence should start with a clean slate. I've spotted a thread somewhere before on this, I'll try and find it when I get chance
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

divaboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by perksy
I'm pretty sure they don't. Your ozzie licence should start with a clean slate. I've spotted a thread somewhere before on this, I'll try and find it when I get chance
I'd have to agree as even in NI points gained there don't count back inmain land England, so for them to carry weight in Australia I would find hard to belive or understand still stranger things have happened
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:09 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538795

You could also double check with this link http://www.austroads.com.au/overseas.html
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Tried here...

but to no avail.

Hope someone can help.
I reckon if you drive really fast to the airport and take a circuitous route you might be able to give them the slip
Old Jul 4th 2008, 1:56 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

In Victoria the points are transfered over if the offence is committed in Victoria.

In practical terms when you committ any offence a temporary license file number is created (for their database purposes - Vic Roads). If you present yourself within the next 3 years for a Vic License a match is created and the temporary file details are tranferred over.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 4:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nice

Ah - the good old points on my licence question.

Simple Answer is "No" - points on a UK licence are not enforcable in Oz and Vice Versa.

To "angela n steve" - if they tried to put the points on your UK licence - fight it, they have no durastriction to enforce points on a UK licence for a car hired in Oz.

As for fines they will pass these onto your UK address, if you never plan on returning to OZ then most people dont bother paying (they wont/cant send the bailifs round. However if you do not pay it they can (and will) "Licence Suspend" your UK licence so if oyu do come back to Oz and try to hire a car or exchange your licence for an Oz one you'll run into a spot of bother.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Hi all,

Tried here...

but to no avail.

Hope someone can help.
Extremely unlikely that they will. When we swapped our UK licenses for QLD ones, we weren't asked to provide the paper counterpart which is where endorsements are listed on a UK Drivers License (or at least that's the case with our licenses which were issued in the 90's).
Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dejags
Extremely unlikely that they will. When we swapped our UK licenses for QLD ones, we weren't asked to provide the paper counterpart which is where endorsements are listed on a UK Drivers License (or at least that's the case with our licenses which were issued in the 90's).
to clarify - our UK licenses were issued in the 90's. We have only had our QLD ones for a few weeks now.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

cadwell parker is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, this is all really good news. Thank you to all who have
replied.

I had hoped one day I would have a clean licence again
but didn't think I'd have to emigrate to get it.

Perksy, thanks for those links. I've not had time to follow
them yet but I will, although from the general consensus
on the thread I have nothing to worry about

Martin luther, thanks for making me laugh. If you had seen
the state of my licence before my disqualification you would
know your suggestion would not present too many problems to me.

Dejags, thanks also to you for your insight into the procedure.
If they only see my plastic card and not the paper part there's no problem

Thanks again to all for your comments

Last edited by cadwell parker; Jul 4th 2008 at 3:44 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

My UK license is a mess, and QLD WAS clean, now a mess ...

OH showed her UK auto license and has been granted a QLD full open licence!

Can't drive a manual for love nor money, but IS now licenced to do so here! ...

After all it IS QLD - the 'smart' state! ...
Old Jul 4th 2008, 8:06 pm
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute

Is the points system in Australia or more specifically Queensland the same as in the UK. i.e more than 12 points and you get a ban of a set period decided by a court?

Jon
Old Jul 4th 2008, 8:56 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lee Family
Is the points system in Australia or more specifically Queensland the same as in the UK. i.e more than 12 points and you get a ban of a set period decided by a court?

Jon
Nope its our Australian system. 12 points is still the magic number but its a LOT easier to get them and the penalty differs. Do over 40km an hour above the limit and enjoy a 6 month immediate ban with your 8 points. Commit more than 1 of the same speeding offence in 12 months and enjoy double the points for the second offence free of charge!! Bargain.

Get your limited edition public holiday weekends, christmas weeks double demerit points for all offences.

Still driving on your UK licence after 3 months ? Thats an offence of unlicenced driving.

If you hold a Queensland open licence and you have 12 demerit points (or more) recorded against your traffic history in a three-year period, you will be sent an Accumulation of Demerit Points—Notice to Choose.

This notice will require you to choose one of the following options:

having your licence suspended for a stated period agreeing to 'be of good behaviour' while driving for one year (known as a Good Driving Behaviour period). You will be considered to have good driving behaviour after a year if no more than one demerit point is allocated to your traffic history during that year.

Get caught doing something on good behavior and welcome to your ban.

Its worth noting that we don't have nice traffic cameras painted orange. We have sneaky mobile vans than are allowed to be completely hidden from view and camouflaged. Regular random roadside breath & drug testing and road blocks for all road users on that road at the time. Traffic police spend hours standing with radar guns trying for high scores behind bushes.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:32 pm
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Nope its our Australian system. 12 points is still the magic number but its a LOT easier to get them and the penalty differs. Do over 40km an hour above the limit and enjoy a 6 month immediate ban with your 8 points. Commit more than 1 of the same speeding offence in 12 months and enjoy double the points for the second offence free of charge!! Bargain.

Get your limited edition public holiday weekends, christmas weeks double demerit points for all offences.

Still driving on your UK licence after 3 months ? Thats an offence of unlicenced driving.

If you hold a Queensland open licence and you have 12 demerit points (or more) recorded against your traffic history in a three-year period, you will be sent an Accumulation of Demerit Points—Notice to Choose.

This notice will require you to choose one of the following options:

having your licence suspended for a stated period agreeing to 'be of good behaviour' while driving for one year (known as a Good Driving Behaviour period). You will be considered to have good driving behaviour after a year if no more than one demerit point is allocated to your traffic history during that year.

Get caught doing something on good behavior and welcome to your ban.

Its worth noting that we don't have nice traffic cameras painted orange. We have sneaky mobile vans than are allowed to be completely hidden from view and camouflaged. Regular random roadside breath & drug testing and road blocks for all road users on that road at the time. Traffic police spend hours standing with radar guns trying for high scores behind bushes.
Fantastic post !!

Here is the bearer of 9 points in 6 weeks !!

2 hiding in the bush at the bottom of a hill and one on the highway at 4.30 in the morning.

Still I was speeding so what can you say.

Only good thing is as your points are not transferable my car was being driven by the father in law on the highway....Fine paid....points gone...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.