Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do mums to be, receive free treatment.

Do mums to be, receive free treatment.

Old Feb 12th 2005, 11:37 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Do mums to be, receive free treatment.

My wife is currently pregnant, and we are wondering if the health care system is the same here, as in the UK. We have been here for 8 months now on a permanent visa, and we have been to the doctors twice. The first time, we were told, that my wife would now be bulk billed as a pregnant mother, and pay nothing, the second visit, we were charged for, when we queried this, the receptionist told us that there was no such thing as free treatment for pregnant mothers.........any advice would be much appreciated, as we are due there again early next week
Old Feb 12th 2005, 11:53 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do mums to be, receive free treatment.

If you go to an antenatal clinic at your local public hospital the treatment is free (that goes for any treatment at a hospital actually,not just antenatal). Otherwise, if your doctor bulkbills, you wont pay (as they accept 85% of the schedule fee direct from Medicare as payment), if they dont, you will have to pay & then claim 85% of the schedule fee back through Medicare. Some doctors bulkbill children but not adults, others bulkbill all, some bulkbill none. Its worth shopping around when finding a doctor.

How much you will be out of pocket if you have to pay depends on how much over the schedule fee for services your doctor charges.

Were the 2 doctors visits you had with the same doctors surgery? If so, sounds like they need to sort out their guidelines in relation to charges!
Old Feb 17th 2005, 12:27 am
Lanarkshire Lass

sandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the rough

I would also appreciate some advice on this one, as I am in a similar position
Old Feb 17th 2005, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

nanci will become famous soon enoughnanci will become famous soon enough

I work in a practise with five doctors, charges are at the discretion of the individual doctor, and in the case of ante natal care the same applies. If there's one thing I've learnt since arriving here, it's that in the UK we take our GP's totally for granted.

Charges at my practise range from bulk billing, where you just sign for the service you've received, to private consultations, which with a standard consultation means you pay $50 and will get a $30.85 refund from Medicare. The length of consultation affects the charge as well.

Hope this helps,

Nanci
Old Feb 17th 2005, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

Pipers Mummy is on a distinguished road

Hi Cadburysfingers,

I arrived three weeks ago and am now 23 weeks pregnant. The only way to get 'free' antenatal care is to go to the GP/midwife clinic at a public hospital, but before I could go there I needed to see a local GP who could refer me - that cost $98. When I finally got to the public hospital I was referred by them to a private clinic for my 20 week scan for which I was charged $180 and received $80 back from Medicare - the hospital staff said that scans are not covered by Medicare in hospital any more (maybe it's just the one that I am going to). Antenatal classes are also chargeable - I paid $60 for 5 classes and can claim nothing back from Medicare. I have elected to see a GP who will conduct the remainder of my antenatal appointments and will be present at the birth (at a public hospital), she will charge $700 plus $55 for each visit - some of that I can claim back from Medicare.

I have found this very confusing since arriving here but I think I'm on the homeward straight now.........

Good luck!

Louise
Old Feb 17th 2005, 7:05 am
owieb

Originally Posted by Pipers Mummy
Hi Cadburysfingers,
Antenatal classes are also chargeable - I paid $60 for 5 classes and can claim nothing back from Medicare. I have elected to see a GP who will conduct the remainder of my antenatal appointments and will be present at the birth (at a public hospital), she will charge $700 plus $55 for each visit - some of that I can claim back from Medicare.

I have found this very confusing since arriving here but I think I'm on the homeward straight now.........

Good luck!

Louise
Wow!!!!

Which state are you in? We're in WA and our antenatal classes were free (gold coin donation) and there were 4 of them. They were very informative and the staff that took them were excellent.

We too elected to see out GP during the pregnancy and were charged $45 a visit, but could claim back about $28. We saw him every 4 weeks, until we got to about 30 weeks then we saw him every week until 34 weeks. After 34 weeks we went to the hospital as they like to get to know you. All the appointments at the hospital were free.

Why are you having the GP at the birth? Without being too personal, are you high-risk?

The nurses and doctors at our hospital were incredible. We had a midwife that was with us all the time, then a doctor who regularly came in and checked, then the registrar supervised the birth. So during the delivery we had two midwives, one doctor and one registrar, all at the public hospital.

And the support we have had since the birth has been amazing, no end of classes and help that are all free.

Old Feb 17th 2005, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Pipers Mummy is on a distinguished road

Hello Oweib,

I am in Victoria.

No I am not high risk, I have elected to have my own GP/Obstetrician attend the birth - hence the $700. The reason I have chosen to do this was because I felt at the public hospital I am attending I was 'passed around' too much for my liking. Different Doctors the entire time simply did not suit me - the upside of that of course is that they are free.

With the exception of my antenatal visits to my GP, everything else was done through the hospital and I have to say that I was surprised that I had to pay for the antenatal classes and the scan too.

Sounds like you had terrific support from your hospital staff. I guess it depends where you are - it seems to be a bit of a free for all amongst Doctors/hospitals etc. over here!

Louise
Old Feb 17th 2005, 8:30 am
owieb

Originally Posted by Pipers Mummy
Hello Oweib,

I am in Victoria.

No I am not high risk, I have elected to have my own GP/Obstetrician attend the birth - hence the $700. The reason I have chosen to do this was because I felt at the public hospital I am attending I was 'passed around' too much for my liking. Different Doctors the entire time simply did not suit me - the upside of that of course is that they are free.

With the exception of my antenatal visits to my GP, everything else was done through the hospital and I have to say that I was surprised that I had to pay for the antenatal classes and the scan too.

Sounds like you had terrific support from your hospital staff. I guess it depends where you are - it seems to be a bit of a free for all amongst Doctors/hospitals etc. over here!

Louise
Yeah the reason we went to our GP for as long as we could was because we would end up seeing a different doctor at the hospital each time. Nice to have one person dealing with you as much as possible.

Good luck with everything!