Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do Kids in Oz stay kids longer than they do in the UK?

View Poll Results: Do Kids get to stay Kids longer in Oz than the UK?
Yes - Kids stay Kids longer in Oz. My 15 year old still likes action men/barbie dolls.
64.81%
It's about the same Oz and UK
24.07%
Kids stay Kids longer in the UK - my son is 47 and still living at home FFS!
11.11%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Do Kids in Oz stay kids longer than they do in the UK?

Old Nov 11th 2006, 5:27 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Do Kids in Oz stay kids longer than they do in the UK?

There's a lot of talk about how kids in the UK are forced/persuaded to grow up too quickly and become teenagers or adults before they're ready - I was wondering whether this was the same in Oz?

Would be grateful for your replies to the poll.

Thanks

Buzzy
Old Nov 11th 2006, 5:35 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Kids in Oz stay kids longer than they do in the UK?

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
There's a lot of talk about how kids in the UK are forced/persuaded to grow up too quickly and become teenagers or adults before they're ready - I was wondering whether this was the same in Oz?

Thanks

Buzzy
Im still in the UK, but on our reccie trip we stayed with some friends of our relatives and they had a 12 year old whos bedroom was full of lots of young girlie things, like barbie and winnie the pooh. My 10 year old would probably turn her nose up at these things now without a doubt!!!!! Such a shame kids are forced to grow up quickly with lots of peer pressure too. C x
Old Nov 11th 2006, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiels
Im still in the UK, but on our reccie trip we stayed with some friends of our relatives and they had a 12 year old whos bedroom was full of lots of young girlie things, like barbie and winnie the pooh. My 10 year old would probably turn her nose up at these things now without a doubt!!!!! Such a shame kids are forced to grow up quickly with lots of peer pressure too. C x
Poor kid bet he really wanted a footie room
Old Nov 11th 2006, 6:25 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curly
It was a girls room!!!! C x
Old Nov 11th 2006, 6:26 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Buzzy
I think they do... not sure about the whole action man/barbie thing but from what i have seen over the past 20 years of visiting mum I know my brother & his mates seemed to be kids longer. They seemed to be going to sleepovers, or bowling or the movies at the same age I was going to the local & lying about my age in the UK LOL

Claire
Old Nov 11th 2006, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Mizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curly

Good one
Old Nov 11th 2006, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiels
It was a girls room!!!! C x
I know C just kidding
Old Nov 11th 2006, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Buzzy
I've got 2 daughters one very immature one very grown up! Both live in UK!
Not sure what poll is supposed to show? Kids are kids and everyone is individual and will grow up as quickly as they like, parental influences can speed or slow this. Can't really say what country they live in affects it, unless they live in some third world country where they have to grow up and and earn money/work. Funny how people perceive that when kids stop playing with certain types of toys they've suddenly grown up!
Maybe I'm over playing this but yet another Aus v's UK poll yawn!
Old Nov 11th 2006, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Buzzy
I think they stay kids longer. When we came over it was nice to see my daughter who was 10 go back to being a 'kid' and not trying to act like a teenager.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

jdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud of

It's about the same...I mean, children are far less likely to get that cynical nasty attitude in Australia than they are in the UK, but I have met loads of my little sisters mates from school (they are all 13), and they all look and act like 18-21 year olds! The way they dress, their 'cool' attitudes to everything, my sister has told me that a lot of them drink (just not to the point of alcoholism!), and a very small minority are on drugs (though she won't tell me who, I would have reported it otherwise). So in my opinion, I don't think you can stop kids from growing up wherever you go, being older and able to do 'grown up' things is cool.

But as I say, if your kids do grow up fast here, at least they do it with a better attitude than in the UK. Being 'grown up' in the UK usually leads to underage sex, teenage pregnancy and mass drug abuse...

Regards,

Jamie
Old Nov 12th 2006, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

I think that there is far less pressure on kids to grow up too fast here (at least where we are). My lot are all having a great time, my 17 year old's mates have all gone down to the local river to dig fortifications for whatever invasion will land in Wangaratta (it was all very secretive until they realised that this huge system of caves that they planned was no more than a muddy hole ). All of the pubs require ID to get in so they just muck about (binge drinking is still here but it is less in evidence than the UK).
My 11 year old daughter is happy to play with Bratz dolls along with going to local discos etc (the innocence seems to last longer for most). Those that are grown up are also far more respectful of adults and often put my kids to shame .
Nicky
Old Nov 12th 2006, 6:04 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

My 6 yr old in the UK was getting a lot of male attention from her classmates, because she's very pretty and she's very tolerant of male behaviour (she was friends with boys who were a bit high on testosterone because of her patient nature, and they liked her for this). There was a lot of 'boyfriend'/ 'girlfriend' stuff mentioned, and ' ______ says he wants to marry me...', or '______ says he wants to kiss me'...
Hence there was a lot of pressure on her, I felt. She wasn't comfortable with it and didn't like it.

I'm not an anal parent about such stuff because some of it is natural and just what children say, but some of it I really was aware wasn't a comfortable level.

My eldest at 9 had girls in her class who 'liked' Avril Levine and other similar pop stars... They were very precocious, pierced ears, very adult clothing, lots of emphasis on style, lots of emphasis on 'sophisticated' behaviour... My 9 yr old stuck out like a sore thumb because I've not encouraged this sort of behaviour, instead believing children should stay children until they're ready to move on, not because some magazine tells you to. Our rule about clothing is funky but not slutty... She's developed her own style, sporty and funky... She looks and acts her age.

Here, there's no such talk or behaviour and I am convinced that this has contributed to the rise in the youngest's confidence levels. The boys at school are just 'mates' and there's no boyfriend/girlfriend silliness mentioned. The older girls are completely natural and there's little mention of boys as anything but friends. My 9 yr old has made a friend who's a year older and because of this, and being a single child (and very academic single mother), the girl is quite sophisticated in her ways... But the teacher tells me the older girl likes hanging out with my daughter because it allows her to be more 'herself' and more natural.
The boys are completely natural with the girls, and very un bothered and unconcerned with sex or anything else. Playing footy or other games is the main focus here, and having friends. This may be down to the fact that it's an 'alternative' school with human centred education rather than government targets and that it's a good area, but regardless, kids around the area who don't go to that school are still pleasant and friendly without any pretend sophistication.
Yes, absolutely kids are kids for longer here. Every time I look at my children, I see the benefit of moving here and I can't regret any of it.

Last edited by iPom; Nov 12th 2006 at 6:07 am.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:09 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot really comment about whether I'd have grown up quicker in the UK than in Australia - but when we moved to Oz, I was 8 and life just seemed slower, the days longer, more out-doorsy things to do and the days were fuller.

I started sports (tee-ball, gymnastics, little athletics)
I went to Brownies,
I rode my bike to school,
I came home and went straight into the pool,
I owned my first barbie!

I also still believed in 'you-know-who' until I was 12

I didn't feel any pressure to grow up quick or compete with other girls over clothes/make up although that came along after I turned 13 and went to high school.

I don't think it is based on the country you are in, necessarily, but life was more 'laid back' in Australia
Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Yes, absolutely kids are kids for longer here. Every time I look at my children, I see the benefit of moving here and I can't regret any of it.
I totally agree with you - especially with the above comment.

My two boys are more laid back, they are getting a lot out of school which they both really enjoy and my eldest has had a "school stomach" ache since we got here (used to have one at least 3 times a week in the UK - as he disliked school). They have made new friends and are playing outside a lot more, they can ride their bikes in a safe environment and are getting plenty of fresh air. Its great to see my two children being children.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:16 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Do Kids in Oz stay kids longer than they do in the UK?

Thank you everyone for all the replies so far. Very interesting reading.

Buzzy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.