Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do I pay tax on my UK rental?

Do I pay tax on my UK rental?

Old Aug 4th 2011, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Alienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant future
Default Do I pay tax on my UK rental?

I intend renting out my house whilst moving to Brisbane.

My rent won't actually cover my monthly mortgage so I will have to top it up a little bit myself. As I'm not profiting from this does this mean I won't have to pay tax on it?

Cheers
Old Aug 4th 2011, 2:23 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I pay tax on my UK rental?

Originally Posted by Alienfeet

My rent won't actually cover my monthly mortgage so I will have to top it up a little bit myself. As I'm not profiting from this does this mean I won't have to pay tax on it?

Cheers
Short answer yes you dont pay tax. Last time I looked you could earn up to 6k before paying tax although this figure may have changed since then.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

slackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Rental income is taxable but whether you actually have to pay tax will depend on a number factors like whether you have an interest only or repayment mortgage and the various allowances you can claim (for maintenance etc.).
Old Aug 4th 2011, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You need to seek proper advice on this. Yes you do get an allowance in the UK so may not pay tax in UK.

But you still declare the income in Oz and may well pay tax on it (less any paid in UK)

Also depends what type of visa you are on temp residents have diff rules.

So everyones circumstances are not the same. If you cannot affiord an accountant then at least check with the Tax authorities in UK AND Oz
Old Aug 4th 2011, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Gillianc is an unknown quantity at this point

My understanding is that if you live in the UK and rent your house out then the interest part of your mortgage and other expenses involved with renting such as letting agent fees, house insurance etc can be taken off the the amount you receive in rent and then you are taxed on the rest. I don't know what happens if you are actually living in Aus but would be interested to know.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 7:33 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

You declare yourself as a non resident landlord to hrmc and claim your threshold of 6k on your self assessment. As you are on a 457 and not a permanent resident the ATO doesn't have the right to tax you on overseas income.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
The fact that your rental income does not cover the mortgage unfortunately does not mean you won't pay tax. My rent barely covered the mortgage most of last year, however I have a low interest rate and most of the mortgage is capital repayment which is not deductable for tax purposes so I expect I will pay a reasonable sum of tax. So firstly how your mortgage payment breaks down into interest and repayment is relevant.

You will still have the tax free allowance, however as you have worked in UK for part of the year I expect your employment earnings will absorb it.

If the house is in joint names then you split the rental income accordingly on each tax return and half the expenses.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
The fact that your rental income does not cover the mortgage unfortunately does not mean you won't pay tax. My rent barely covered the mortgage most of last year, however I have a low interest rate and most of the mortgage is capital repayment which is not deductable for tax purposes so I expect I will pay a reasonable sum of tax. So firstly how your mortgage payment breaks down into interest and repayment is relevant.

You will still have the tax free allowance, however as you have worked in UK for part of the year I expect your employment earnings will absorb it.

If the house is in joint names then you split the rental income accordingly on each tax return and half the expenses.
Agree with rest of the replies.

If you can, switch to an interest only mortgage, that way all your interest payments are tax deductible. Also any expenses involved with maintaining the house are also tax deductible.

If you are still making a loss this loss is claimable against your Oz income (this changed 2008/09 tax year).

In Oz you can claim depreciation on contents and house not sure about a UK house where you don't have this concept (as far as I know).
Old Aug 4th 2011, 11:49 pm

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
Agree with rest of the replies.

If you can, switch to an interest only mortgage, that way all your interest payments are tax deductible. Also any expenses involved with maintaining the house are also tax deductible.

If you are still making a loss this loss is claimable against your Oz income (this changed 2008/09 tax year).

In Oz you can claim depreciation on contents and house not sure about a UK house where you don't have this concept (as far as I know).
You cannot claim a loss on a UK property to the ATO as a 457 temporary resident.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:29 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
You have to complete a NR1 form http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/nrl1.pdf
Without this form being submitted the agent looking after the property has to deduct the tax from the rental received.

NR1 Guidance notes.... http://www.sabbaticalhomes.co.uk/non...s_notes_bw.pdf

I had Landlord insurance.... strongly recommend as if your tenant looses their job, becomes ill and cannot pay the rent, the insurance will pay until you get a new tenant. http://www.letsure.co.uk/

Benefits of Letsure's Rent & Legal Protection

Letsure provides a product with high levels of cover at a competitive price. The key benefits are shown below:

100% of your monthly rental income for up to 12 months or until vacant possession is achieved whichever happens sooner.
75% of your monthly rental income for up to 2 months after vacant possession has been achieved whilst you are trying to relet the property.
Covers monthly rents up to £5,000 (higher amounts may be available on request)
Provides a legal service that will seek to evict your tenant for non-payment of rent.
Provides up to £60,000 of legal cover to defend a legal action brought against you by a tenant and to remove squatters.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if the rules have changed since we rented (2006) but you can also claim "expenses" - property management fees, maintenance & repairs and anything else reasonable you can think of. We were able to include the cost to travel home once a year to inspect the property, postage, telephone and the use of a gardener to come in once a month. Those deductions took us below the taxable income threshold so we never paid any tax on the rented property.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis supper
Not sure if the rules have changed since we rented (2006) but you can also claim "expenses" - property management fees, maintenance & repairs and anything else reasonable you can think of. We were able to include the cost to travel home once a year to inspect the property, postage, telephone and the use of a gardener to come in once a month. Those deductions took us below the taxable income threshold so we never paid any tax on the rented property.
You can include reasonable expenses, but I do not believe you should be able to claim travel home costs, not unless you flew home looked at the property and then left again.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You can include reasonable expenses, but I do not believe you should be able to claim travel home costs, not unless you flew home looked at the property and then left again.
I agree, but our accountant said including the cost of one flight per year was considered as acceptable. We included it and had no questions asked.

If I lived in the UK and rented out a property I would visit it annually to make sure all was ok. I would claim travel costs, so why not the cost from Australia ?
Old Aug 5th 2011, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by haggis supper
I agree, but our accountant said including the cost of one flight per year was considered as acceptable. We included it and had no questions asked.

If I lived in the UK and rented out a property I would visit it annually to make sure all was ok. I would claim travel costs, so why not the cost from Australia ?
If it's a UK property I doubt you could claim costs encountered for travel outside of the UK - but hey ho - these things don't normally get checked out in great detail by the inefficient HRMC.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
If it's a UK property I doubt you could claim costs encountered for travel outside of the UK - but hey ho - these things don't normally get checked out in great detail by the inefficient HRMC.
Frankly I was astonished but delighted to be able to claim it. At the end of the day it didn't make a huge difference and I kept a very clear email audit trail to show that I had been advised to claim it !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.