Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

do i need a work visa

do i need a work visa

Old Mar 26th 2010, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

brushmate is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile do i need a work visa

Hi my partner is a australian citizen with a australian passport and we are going to sydney soon for 12 month or maybe longer(if we like it and settle) we are not married but engaged and lived together for 4 years.Do i still need a work permit or will i be ok due to my partner being australian.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do i need a work visa

Originally Posted by brushmate
Hi my partner is a australian citizen with a australian passport and we are going to sydney soon for 12 month or maybe longer(if we like it and settle) we are not married but engaged and lived together for 4 years.Do i still need a work permit or will i be ok due to my partner being australian.
Your partner being Australian will possibly mean you qualify for a visa, but it certainly is not enough by itself!

You need to apply for a partner visa. Australia doesn't use the term "work permit" as far as I am aware.

You need your visa before you enter the country.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: do i need a work visa

yeah you no what i mean a visa from what i can see i should be ok to work without one but i have seen nothing to declare enough times i dont wana be one of those people geting off the plane then being put onto another i also have a trade aswel(painter hence the name
Old Mar 26th 2010, 11:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

No one can work in Australia if they are not a citizen. They have to get a visa to be either a Temp Resident or a Permanent Resident. If you have lived together as a De Facto couple you would be able to apply for a Spouse Visa which would give you a Temp Visa.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 11:52 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah you no what i mean a visa from what i can see i should be ok to work without one but i have seen nothing to declare enough times i dont wana be one of those people geting off the plane then being put onto another i also have a trade aswel(painter hence the name
you will not be allowed to enter australia without a visa...
Old Mar 26th 2010, 12:14 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

At the absolute minimum you will need a tourist visa. If you arrive in Aus with the tourist visa and they decide they think you are going to try to find work, you will have the visa cancelled and be put on the plane straight back to the UK.

If you get a tourist visa you CANNOT work. If you want to work then you have to get either a WHV (providing you're not yet 30), a skilled visa or a Spouse Visa.

You could get a skilled visa if you fulfilled the criteria but a Spouse Visa would be the way to go if you're not eligible for a WHV.

I suggest you look here and do some homework. There's even a very easy to use Visa Wizard to help you.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: do i need a work visa

hi
i am 35 so would probs have to get the spouse visa
Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:02 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

hi
i am 35 so would probs have to get the spouse visa
It's very straightforward, one of the easiest visas to get (relatively speaking). Check out the Immi site I gave you the link for and read Booklet 1. Pull together as much proof of relationship as you can. There's a good thread on here - Spouse Visa Circle, full of people doing or have done, the same visa. Loads of help and advice.