Reload this Page >

Do I need a job offer to get 2yr work visa to NZ

Do I need a job offer to get 2yr work visa to NZ

Old Mar 4th 2004, 9:18 am
Just Joined

cayne tollett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I need a job offer to get 2yr work visa to NZ

Hi everyone.
Can anyone tell me if I have to have a job offer before I can get a 2yr work visa, or can I get the visa here and find a job when I get to NZ? Cayne
Old Mar 4th 2004, 9:45 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do I need a job offer to get 2yr work visa to NZ

Originally posted by cayne tollett
Hi everyone.
Can anyone tell me if I have to have a job offer before I can get a 2yr work visa, or can I get the visa here and find a job when I get to NZ? Cayne
The most you can get is a WHV is you are under 30...this allows employment for up to 3 months per employer, so you'd have to move jobs each 3 month period (whether they'd check is another matter). You could go over, get a permanent job offer, and convert to a Work Visa, but this is risky.....if you do it, then have plenty of funds, don't ship anything over, don't sell your home etc...until you have Residency status. Of course, you may not be aiming for this anyway. If you are over 30, be wary that I have heard of people turned back from NZ when they arrive on a Visitor Visa as it is obvious they are intent on looking for a job there. Some get through, some don't by all accounts....so I suspect it's how much work-related stuff you have taken with you. You can always post over education certificates after you are settled rather than taking them with you.....

try www.immigration.govt.nz for more info.

Rich
Old Mar 4th 2004, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

evelynne_r is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, for NZ there is no three-month maximum period you can work for any one employer. That's only in Oz. It's fairly easy to convert a WHV to work permit as long as the job is on the Occupations in Demand list - I did it on the same day.

Good luck,

Evelynne
Old Mar 4th 2004, 7:45 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by evelynne_r
Actually, for NZ there is no three-month maximum period you can work for any one employer. That's only in Oz. It's fairly easy to convert a WHV to work permit as long as the job is on the Occupations in Demand list - I did it on the same day.

Good luck,

Evelynne
I'm just going on the info that was printed on the NZ Visa stuck into my wife's passport - clearly stated a 3 month per employer limit (Oct 2003). I can't comment beyond that as I am just relating exactly what was printed in black and white. It is easy to change to a Work Visa if on the demand list, but not that many occupations are, so it's down to the individuals circumstances.

Rich
Old Mar 4th 2004, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

Strange - I got my WHV in April 2002, and I had no such restrictions. Maybe it's new?

Cheers,

Evelynne
Old Mar 5th 2004, 12:32 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

hi cayne...

still struggling then...poor thing...

thought you were thinking of trying oz?
Old Mar 7th 2004, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

cayne tollett is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Yvonne & all,

Thing things are slowly starting to move again with NZ. Cayne just got confirmation from the electrical board out there that they will grant him a provisional license on entry into the country and he hardly needs to sit any tests to get his full electrician's licence. Hard part is, we don't know how to get him a jog. Everyone keeps saying if we ring anyone in the yellow pages, they'll give him a job, but with the new category he needs to get a job first, get written confirmation from the employer that they have advertised the job locally and nationally and that Cayne best fits the role, we then submit an expression of interst form to immigration which sits in a pool for three months, if we get the ok on that, we then have to submit an application form and wait up to four months for a decision. What kind of employer will offer you a job without Cayne being to confirm a start date?????
All that aside, hope you are settling in nicely and had an excellent start to the New Year.

Vicky and the family
Old Mar 7th 2004, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

Hiya,

Your best bet might be to go down the Work permit route while you wait for your PR to come through. A work permit is usually issued much more quickly than PR.

Good luck.

Evelynne
Old Mar 8th 2004, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

you can keep extending your work visa anyway, so I wouldn't worry...
Old Mar 9th 2004, 7:23 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by evelynne_r
Hiya,

Your best bet might be to go down the Work permit route while you wait for your PR to come through. A work permit is usually issued much more quickly than PR.

Good luck.

Evelynne
That is exactly what we did - husband got a job offer, we put in a work visa application, got it, came out on that (with all our stuff although we decided to rent out our flat in London for both investment and 'back-up' plan purposes) and I am now trying not to put off all the form filling in required to do our EOI!

If you have any questions about work permits, work to residence ( or EOI in a few weeks' time!!) feel free to PM me.