Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do I need to inform DVLA Im leaving the UK to live in OZ?

Do I need to inform DVLA Im leaving the UK to live in OZ?

Old Apr 7th 2008, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to all
Default Do I need to inform DVLA Im leaving the UK to live in OZ?

Does anyone know the answer to this question please?
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:03 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do I need to inform DVLA Im leaving the UK to live in OZ?

Originally Posted by Ozzy7
Does anyone know the answer to this question please?
nope you dont
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:54 am

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by biggy
nope you dont
Anybody know if it's possible to have an Australian address on a UK driving licence ?
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:06 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

If you apply for an Australian licence (which I believe your obliged to do within about 3 months of arriving) and you obtain it on the basis of having an overseas licence, your UK licence will be cancelled. They punch a hole in it.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...l_drivers.html

Last edited by harrip; Apr 7th 2008 at 12:10 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simba
Anybody know if it's possible to have an Australian address on a UK driving licence ?
No!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by harrip
If you apply for an Australian licence (which I believe your obliged to do within about 3 months of arriving) and you obtain it on the basis of having an overseas licence, your UK licence will be cancelled. They punch a hole in it.

Does that mean that if you return to the UK say a year later that you need to re-apply for your licence - you dont need to pass a test etc again do you?
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Aldebaran has a spectacular aura aboutAldebaran has a spectacular aura aboutAldebaran has a spectacular aura about

I went over to Victoria in June 2007 on a permanent resident visa and they didn't do anything to my UK license when I went to get my Australian license. I've still got my UK license with no holes present.

And even if they did put a hole in the UK license, when you return to the UK I'm sure all you need to do is tell them you lost your UK license.

AL
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:24 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you not though? We told everyone. We were leaving the country and didn't need anything left in a UK address that we no longer had.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to all

Thanks for your replies
Old Apr 7th 2008, 2:49 pm
I'd rather be climbing

mkargo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Why would you not though? We told everyone. We were leaving the country and didn't need anything left in a UK address that we no longer had.
Some of us are planning to return! My contract in Oz is for three years and I plan to move on after that, not necessarily back to the UK, but I will be moving on. It's just the nature of what I do.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 3:30 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

could you not request thsy dnt put a hole in it as what happens if you want to drive if you come back to UK to visit family?
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

They stamped my UK licence to say 'Vic licence issued"...apparently some naughty people would show their UK licence when pulled over by police to try and avoid demerit points.
So the licences are marked to show that you really can collect demerit points.

And I can still use my UK one in UK (although I use the Oz one as address is wrong on UK version)
Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mkargo
Some of us are planning to return! My contract in Oz is for three years and I plan to move on after that, not necessarily back to the UK, but I will be moving on. It's just the nature of what I do.
That's different
Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by travelbug
Does that mean that if you return to the UK say a year later that you need to re-apply for your licence - you dont need to pass a test etc again do you?
Your licence still exists - just apply for a new one with your new address.
Assuming they haven't lost all the records you would not have any problem.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
Your licence still exists - just apply for a new one with your new address.
Assuming they haven't lost all the records you would not have any problem.
thanks for that...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.