Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do I jack the job in for $100k

View Poll Results: Does Renth jack in his "safe" job to work on the mines for $100k
Yes - go for it!
50.00%
No - play safe!
50.00%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Do I jack the job in for $100k

Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:21 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do I jack the job in for $100k

OK, so I'm going to have to make a decision. Jack in a "safe" job, low stress, go home every night, good super and go off to the mines to earn $100k (considerably more than I'm on now).

What do you reckon?
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:28 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I jack the job in for $100k

If it was me Renth I would stick where you are not even 100k would get me to the mines.

Originally Posted by renth
OK, so I'm going to have to make a decision. Jack in a "safe" job, low stress, go home every night, good super and go off to the mines to earn $100k (considerably more than I'm on now).

What do you reckon?
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:33 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

What do you reckon?
stay where you are mate, if it was 200k that would be a different matter.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:41 am

gedge has disabled reputation

You've got two posts saying 'no' but a vote each way?
For me I need to weigh up a number of factors, the value what I'm giving up V the value of what I could gain.
Do you have any dependants? Would they go too?
Have you got a good social circle where you are? Do you make new friends easily?
Is money the main factor?

Personally I'd say no.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:44 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Stupid question, but will the extra money make you any happier compared to what you're leaving behind. I take it you've got to move somewhere remote?
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

What do you reckon?
How much extra money would you end up with in your hand, after taking into account the higher tax and possible reduction in other benefits, etc?

Maybe money is not the only factor. If the idea of a change of scenery and a bit of adventure also appeals, and your family would be happy with the idea (the weeks off would be nice), then I'd say go for it.

Personally, I wouldn't do it for the money alone, but the thought has crossed my mind as I'm sick of feeling my life ebbing away in front of this screen. A bit of hardship is sometimes needed to remind us that we're alive. I'm probably too chicken though, and will continue to atrophy here behind my desk.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, go for it Renth, your wife will love the shoe shopping
Seriously, only go if she can cope, and if you get the equivalent leave to what you're working.
Lots of people are scared about being sent to the mines, hubby might possibly do fly in fly out (being preggers I'm probably a bit more clingy lol), I know a number of families who do this and they have much better quality time. The downside for the women is adjusting to the hubby being away, then adjusting to him being back (leaving his underpants on the floor etc.)
It may also be a good move for your career.
You'll see another part of Aus, have good grub and a chance to meet some more blokes to be all blokey with
Old Feb 9th 2006, 1:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say go for it. If you are earning nowhere near $100k at the moment then $100k is going to make a big difference, further down the line you will probably be earning more as well. This can make a big difference to your future (save more for your retirement etc). The work camps are very nice apparently, good food, gym, internet access etc. I'll know soon enough as I'll be going up there later on this year.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 1:53 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

What do you reckon?
According to what I've heard, it'll be closer to $200k and that living out there is very cheap and enjoyable!
If I were single - I'd do it without a second thought.

Andrew
Old Feb 9th 2006, 2:03 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Go for it mate....if your wife is OK with it and she can cope then no worries. My hubby is thinking of doing the same thing.......hopefully he can get a FIFO with good salary and he will be off....oin saying that he would only do it for a couple of years, then if it worked out we may consider moving home, but in the meantime we would stay here until kids reach High School age

Best of luck in whatever u decide
Old Feb 9th 2006, 4:06 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Is the job in your field?

Would your wife cope? (she's not working as well is she? that would make it hard with 3 kids I reckon)

Now, just for my interest, where is it exactly?

Oh, and it was 2 up, 1 down wasn't it?

Oh2: considerably more... that could mean everything...
If you're going from 50 to 100. Or 80 to 100......
Old Feb 9th 2006, 4:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably depends on how strong your marriage is, the age of your children, if you would be happy knowing you weren't around to help if an emergency came up, if your wife is happy for you to do it, if the money means that much to you, if you think you are mentally strong enough to do it, if, if, if, if. Whatever you decide you will have to be 100% sure. Good luck.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 4:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

See if you can find a few people that have worked in this kind of Environment. I found one here in Melbourne recently, A Track layer, that operates some kind of special equipment laying train tracks, and travels all over Aussie. Just towed his caravan around to his next job.

The no 1 advice from him, when I made an enquiry, more on behalf of other people than myself. Dont move away from ones Family, take them with you. Remote working away from the family is littered with marriage breakups.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you can manage with what you are on then I would stick with it. No money can recompense you for time spent away from wife and children.

Alternatively, you could 'try out' the mines as long as your current employer would have you back. Then, less risk.

Just my two penneth!
Old Feb 9th 2006, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Have you worked out the 100k after tax? Tax on thats around 35/37 ? thats the problem big money here doesnt end up as much when it hits the bank. Also factor in lower incomes are + family tax benefits, the net equation is the one to work it out on. These impressive job offers often look less attractive in net terms. You would also be forced into private insurance on that income, or pay more tax again.

Also consider for a spouse with young kids, a partner off outback and the extended family back in the UK makes working and emergencies pretty darn difficult.

Just things to consider when weighing it all up.

Also check how many hours a week are you expected to do on that wage.

I'll still tick go for it in your poll, I want to hear some posts from the outback

Last edited by jad n rich; Feb 9th 2006 at 5:46 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.