Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do I have to vote if I am overseas?

Do I have to vote if I am overseas?

Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold
Default Do I have to vote if I am overseas?

As an Aussie Citzen I know there is a requirement to vote but what happens if you are overseas?

Thanks, Sue
Old Jul 20th 2010, 8:17 pm
native West Aussie

Genevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant future
Default Re: Do I have to vote if I am overseas?

Here's some info from the Aust Electoral Commission:
http://www.aec.gov.au/Enrolling_to_v...seas/index.htm
Old Jul 20th 2010, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Technically they would like you to make the effort either through postal voting or lining up at an embassy/high commission and down the track you will get a snotty letter to your registered address asking why you havent voted. You can just tell them you were overseas and they will check and wont fine you though.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Technically they would like you to make the effort either through postal voting or lining up at an embassy/high commission and down the track you will get a snotty letter to your registered address asking why you havent voted. You can just tell them you were overseas and they will check and wont fine you though.
Good idea to keep a copy of the itinerary, boarding pass etc. Former boyfriend of mine was threatened with a fine by the electoral commission, but he just sent them copies that proved he was in the UK when the election was called AND on polling day, and they let him off as a result.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 11:52 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I was overseas the last big election and travelled out a few days before the polling date. You can actually vote at the airport in these cases showing boarding pass/passport. Check the websites to see if polling before leaving the country will be an option for you.

Could not be bothered because of work committments for a local election and got a $20 fine, will not be doing that again.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 3:59 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suebrennan
As an Aussie Citzen I know there is a requirement to vote but what happens if you are overseas?

Thanks, Sue
Depends on how long you're overseas for. After a certain amount of time living overseas, you can't vote even if you want to.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 6:28 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

My other half was in the UK for 8 years and when we got back to Aus, we discovered he had a fine with the Office of State Revenue for not voting in 2 elections. He handed over his passport with the dates of him living in the UK and they waived the fine without argument.

You can vote in embassies and by post if you want to.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Thanks everyone - will vote via embassy if that is an option!

Sue