Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do I have time to do a 1 year masters degree???

Do I have time to do a 1 year masters degree???

Old Mar 30th 2007, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice
Question Do I have time to do a 1 year masters degree???

Hey

Hope someone could give some advice

I am currently in the process of applying for an STNI for Victoria as a teacher. I have got through the initial stage and am now applying for qualification recognition; the deadline for Victoria getting this is mid May at which pint they have said the sponsorship decision would be pretty quick.

Based on mixed messages I have been reading, I really have no idea from this point how long the visa may take to apply for once I have got sponsorship.

Some people have indicated it has taken them nearly a year, do you think this is a realistic timescale? Only reason I ask, is that I will be leaving my teaching job in July and want to make the best use of any time I have left....was thinking of doing a one year masters degree, but would not consider this if there was any chance the visa would come through this year.

Any help would be great

Cheers

Old Mar 30th 2007, 6:23 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I have time to do a 1 year masters degree???

I guess a masters degree would be September - June?

I would say you would get the visa decision before next spring. Good luck x.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 10:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are definitely coming to Aus then do the Master's here as it will look better on your CV.

If you are up for the next level then you may wish to know they the Feds pay part-time PhD fees here unlike in the UK.

http://idp.studylink.com.au/search/search.html for research on Aus course and fees.

Ian
Old Mar 30th 2007, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

You could always look at doing part of the degree before coming- eg study up to certificate/diploma level. That way your time is not wasted, nor is your effort.
I am a teacher in the UK, but moving to Aus in the next few weeks. I am aiming to move away from teaching, so rather than rely on old UK qualifications my plan is to spend 6 months/a year studying for a new certificate/masters in Australia, then use that to apply for jobs.

Lots of options really, just do your research! Bon chance!
Old Mar 31st 2007, 2:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
You could always look at doing part of the degree before coming- eg study up to certificate/diploma level. That way your time is not wasted, nor is your effort.
I am a teacher in the UK, but moving to Aus in the next few weeks. I am aiming to move away from teaching, so rather than rely on old UK qualifications my plan is to spend 6 months/a year studying for a new certificate/masters in Australia, then use that to apply for jobs.

Lots of options really, just do your research! Bon chance!
or see whether you can start your degree distance learning and go to class when you arrive.

http://www.seeklearning.com.au/

Ian
Old Mar 31st 2007, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ebo1608
or see whether you can start your degree distance learning and go to class when you arrive.

http://www.seeklearning.com.au/

Ian

No need, I'll be there in a fortnight! I've sat on my ar$e for the last couple of months, there really doesn't seem much point in rushing around trying to sort things out now, I'll just wait until I'm there. Am actually really looking forward to doing something constructive and using my brain,
Old Mar 31st 2007, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice
Red face Re: Do I have time to do a 1 year masters degree???

Thanks for all the info, this has been a great help. Youd say the Fed gov will pay part time phd fees...do you know where I can find out more info on this?
Old Mar 31st 2007, 11:44 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Hey Esperanza: what is your teaching background? Where are you planning to head career-wise after teaching? Thinking of doing the same thing myself but moving from Oz to UK and currently looking into study options! Do you have any good ideas? At the moment I'm torn between extending my history study into museums and heritage, or taking the youth work/development approach. (would be great to combine both on a heritage/community project but might be spreading the net too wide!)
Old Mar 31st 2007, 4:00 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

don't start new study I am finishing my degree and trying to write dissertation whilst preparing to move

this is a really bad combination

Kim
Old Apr 1st 2007, 12:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by freckles1970
Thanks for all the info, this has been a great help. Youd say the Fed gov will pay part time phd fees...do you know where I can find out more info on this?
You have to check the uni/subject you wish to study whether they offer Research Training Scheme (RTS) places for Aus citizens/PRs.

It's not carte-blanche across all PhDs.

Ian