Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do I go, or do I stay?

Do I go, or do I stay?

Old Oct 24th 2013, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I go, or do I stay?

Originally Posted by xizzles
Thank you all for your views. They ARE valued - and THANK YOU Dorothy: it's good to have someone slap me in the face (figuratively, thank you) and say "money isn't everything" - that's what I've been trying to convince myself, but honestly, without much success... Heck, at least I'm honest about it.

Sally, sorry about the confusion, but yeah, essentially, a rough estimation is that I'll suffer/experience/accept (choose your favourite euphemism there) a nearly 90% reduction in income - it's quite mind boggling, and I'm certainly not yanking your chain.

Not2old: The visa isn't much of an issue, as I happen to be lucky enough to tick the right boxes - and as long as I'm willing to tough it out in the sticks for a couple of years, my skill-set qualifies as one belonging to an acute shortage thus in critical demand.

At the end of the day, I feel as much as I stand to gain from what can be a possible life changing experience and earth shaking move Down Under, I have to be honest and admit that I fear I have just as much to lose from the life I've made for myself at the moment.... I'll just whine like a little spoilt brat and ask why can't I have my cake and eat it too!?
Don't worry, if you don't like it you can always go back if your skill set is that much in demand. A few years in the sticks and you'll be clamouring for the better lifestyle that Europe offers! Don't be seduced by the "better lifestyle" thing - it's just "different". Be sensible though, take a career break, don't sell your home etc unless you are a compulsive gambler.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 6:34 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes the 'better lifestyle'
Old Oct 24th 2013, 6:44 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

You should move to Australia. It's always sunny and the beaches are beautiful. It's sunny and warm and the sea is great. Even if you live in Alice Springs or Canberra, the beaches are beautiful. And the sun, oh, the sun. It's warm and you don't need a jumper and you can wear sandals except of course when you go to the beach, then you just wear flip flops. Oh, it's beautiful. Always warm, never cold and big blue oceans of sea. Golden sandy beaches, warm breezes and waves and sea and ocean and beaches and sun and sunshine and warm weather and warm winters and a much, much better quality of life because of all the beaches and the sunshine. Ask anyone. The beaches are beautiful and it's always sunny. Oranges and sunshine anyone?
Old Oct 24th 2013, 7:24 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
You should move to Australia. It's always sunny and the beaches are beautiful. It's sunny and warm and the sea is great. Even if you live in Alice Springs or Canberra, the beaches are beautiful. And the sun, oh, the sun. It's warm and you don't need a jumper and you can wear sandals except of course when you go to the beach, then you just wear flip flops. Oh, it's beautiful. Always warm, never cold and big blue oceans of sea. Golden sandy beaches, warm breezes and waves and sea and ocean and beaches and sun and sunshine and warm weather and warm winters and a much, much better quality of life because of all the beaches and the sunshine. Ask anyone. The beaches are beautiful and it's always sunny. Oranges and sunshine anyone?
Did you tell them about the beaches? Oh and the sunshine, Australia is so awesome it actually has its own sun specially made for Australian conditions.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 8:46 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Did you tell them about the beaches? Oh and the sunshine, Australia is so awesome it actually has its own sun specially made for Australian conditions.
I forgot to mention the better quality of life.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 9:53 am
Banned

How could you forget the better quality of life? Its better than better, its betterer...er.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
And dolphins. Don't forget the dolphins.
Now come on!!!
Old Oct 24th 2013, 10:38 am
Not actually a squirrel

And koalas. They're little and fluffy and cute.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 12:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by brissybee
And koalas. They're little and fluffy and cute.
But taste horrible.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 12:38 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
But taste horrible.
Not like elephants then
Old Oct 24th 2013, 12:49 pm
Banned

Chuck another olifant on the barbie vriend
Old Oct 24th 2013, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

You guys are frigging hilarious. And I'm missing all of this by being stuck back in Ol' Blighty. It simply ain't fair, mate, it simply ain't fair haha
Old Oct 24th 2013, 1:53 pm
Banned

Well Im in Blighty but definitely not stuck here, the great thing about a forum is it doesnt matter where you are geographically.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 3:30 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xizzles
Thank you all for your views. They ARE valued - and THANK YOU Dorothy: it's good to have someone slap me in the face (figuratively, thank you) and say "money isn't everything" - that's what I've been trying to convince myself, but honestly, without much success... Heck, at least I'm honest about it.

At the end of the day, I feel as much as I stand to gain from what can be a possible life changing experience and earth shaking move Down Under, I have to be honest and admit I fear I have just as much to lose from the lifeI've made for myself at the moment.... I'll just whine like a little spoilt brat and ask why can't I have my cake and eat it too!?
so what is it that is stopping you from moving to OZ other than the pay cut?

In which part of the world are you presently living & working?
Old Oct 24th 2013, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The prawns, Mother.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.