Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

do i get mobile unlocked here or in oz?

do i get mobile unlocked here or in oz?

Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Manchester UK to Sydney, then decided Gold Coast, stayed there for 8 months and now back in sydney
threlly is on a distinguished road
Default do i get mobile unlocked here or in oz?

hi again,
i have a mobile with orange pay as u go. i have read that it may work in oz, but i may have to get it unlocked. do i get it unlocked here or when i get to oz? do i then (after it has been unlocked) buy a new sim, get a new number and off i go making calls in oz
cheers for any help
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: do i get mobile unlocked here or in oz?

Originally Posted by threlly
hi again,
i have a mobile with orange pay as u go. i have read that it may work in oz, but i may have to get it unlocked. do i get it unlocked here or when i get to oz? do i then (after it has been unlocked) buy a new sim, get a new number and off i go making calls in oz
cheers for any help
There shouldn't be any problem with the phone working in Oz once it has been unlocked. I personally would get it unlocked in the UK then if you have any problems you can sort it out here while you have easy access to other phones rather than waiting until you get to Oz when you only have that phone. If you get it unlocked here put in a friends non-orange sim card to check you can call out to confirm it has been unlocked.

Anne
Old Apr 6th 2005, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Manchester UK to Sydney, then decided Gold Coast, stayed there for 8 months and now back in sydney

hi spottydog, thansk for that. how and where do i go to get the mobile inlocked?
cheers

Originally Posted by spottydog
There shouldn't be any problem with the phone working in Oz once it has been unlocked. I personally would get it unlocked in the UK then if you have any problems you can sort it out here while you have easy access to other phones rather than waiting until you get to Oz when you only have that phone. If you get it unlocked here put in a friends non-orange sim card to check you can call out to confirm it has been unlocked.

Anne
Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:14 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

hi spottydog, thansk for that. how and where do i go to get the mobile inlocked?
cheers
You'd need to contact Orange - I tried having a look at their website to see if they charge to unlock (& if so, how much) but the page seems to be down for me.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:25 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

My old orange phone was never locked have you tryed a sim from another network it might not need doing. I use my orange nokia in oz with a virgin sim in it and its fine
Old Apr 6th 2005, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Briz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant future

hi again,
cheers for any help
I'd definitely do it in the UK. As perthforme says, it may be unlocked already, so try a sim from another network in it...if it works, it's unlocked.

I think that Orange UK would have 'ownership' of your unlocking code (if you know what I mean)...e.g. it was their phone, so they are the only ones who can request the unlock code from the manufacturer. You will need to know you IMEI number before you phone Orange. You can find this on the original phone box, or by removing the battery and looking on the barcode sticker (look for a 16? digit number - no letters). Another way is by keying *#06# into your phone, and the IMEI will magically appear on the screen!

A lot of companies charge around £30 to do it...some waive the fee if you have spent, say, over £30 on calls. Or you could go to a dodgy phone stall at the markets for a tenner! Doing it the proper way may take many weeks, so do it well in advance.
When in oz you will need to buy a new sim, and therefore will get a new number. In the UK you can 'port' your number i.e. when you change networks you can keep your number. I'd very much doubt this can be done internationally though.

The UK and Oz use dual band (900 & 1800 band) networks. In the USA, they use tri-band, therefore lots of UK and Oz phones don't work there.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 9:24 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Briz-chick
The UK and Oz use dual band (900 & 1800 band) networks. In the USA, they use tri-band, therefore lots of UK and Oz phones don't work there.
Most phones in the UK over the last couple of years have been tri-band afaik... even our old Nokia.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 3:40 am
Just Joined

Neil&Di is on a distinguished road

i would definitely recommend getting it unocked in the UK we had no end of problems in trying to contact singlepoint after we arrived here to get mine unlocked (they don't give a number for international callers).
di
Old Apr 7th 2005, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

ken-6 has a spectacular aura aboutken-6 has a spectacular aura aboutken-6 has a spectacular aura about

HI THERE,
YOU CAN GET IT UNLOCKED THERE OR HERE IN OZ. IF YOU GO ON THE INTERNET AND SEARCH ON GOOGLE, THERE ARE LOT'S OF COMPANIES THAT DO IT. ONE COMPANY IS WWW.2U.CO.UK AND IT COSTS ABOUT 6 POUNDS. I UNLOCKED MINE OUT HERE IN MELBOURNE, SO IT DOSN'T MATER WHERE YOU ARE AND IT'S REALLY EASY.

GOOD LUCK KEN
Old Apr 7th 2005, 6:16 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ken-6
HI THERE,
YOU CAN GET IT UNLOCKED THERE OR HERE IN OZ. IF YOU GO ON THE INTERNET AND SEARCH ON GOOGLE, THERE ARE LOT'S OF COMPANIES THAT DO IT. ONE COMPANY IS WWW.2U.CO.UK AND IT COSTS ABOUT 6 POUNDS. I UNLOCKED MINE OUT HERE IN MELBOURNE, SO IT DOSN'T MATER WHERE YOU ARE AND IT'S REALLY EASY.

GOOD LUCK KEN
Definately get it dont in the UK (much more expensive in OZ), DO not contact you mobile ohone supplier they will charge you the earth, most markets have a mobile ohone man and he will usually charge 10 quid.

Kala
Old Apr 7th 2005, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold

hi again,
cheers for any help

Definately get it unlocked in UK . It is illegel to lock phones into networks over here so causes many problems trying to unlock it once you're here. You can pick up SIM cards over here from $2 upwards.
All the best,
Tass.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

If it's a Nokia phone try this http://unlock.nokiafree.org/download.php

I haven't done it myself as I found my phone wasn't locked - but take a look at www.moneysavingexpert.com. There's a great section on mobiles and how to get them unlocked - FOR FREE.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by marco121068
If it's a Nokia phone try this http://unlock.nokiafree.org/download.php
I would also going to suggest this site for a Nokia phone, it worked for me.

Before worrying about getting it unlocked try putting in a Sim card from another network (other than Three) and see whether it works, if it does the phone is already unlocked.

If it's not a Nokia then I would suggest walking down your local high street and going into the independent stores and asking them, a lot of them will be able to do it for less than orange will charge.

Your final option would be to search in google for your phone & unlock or ask on a phone forum (whatmobile.net have one) or finally buy a remote unlock from someone on ebay.

HTH

Anne
Old Apr 7th 2005, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks everyone for all your help. i will try and sort ulocking it soon. my only other ? is, i need to use my mobile till the day b4 we fly out of manchester (due to 4 hour drive from Boston my hometown, to manchester, bf place, and were we fly from) can i unlock it the day b4 i leave? if i can't i will just have to borow one of bf parents phones i suppose. thanks for any help.

RECAP- i just take my phone to the orange shop and they will unlock it for me/ or go on a website and do it that way
cheers

Originally Posted by spottydog

Anne
Old Apr 7th 2005, 12:38 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks everyone for all your help. i will try and sort ulocking it soon. my only other ? is, i need to use my mobile till the day b4 we fly out of manchester (due to 4 hour drive from Boston my hometown, to manchester, bf place, and were we fly from) can i unlock it the day b4 i leave? if i can't i will just have to borow one of bf parents phones i suppose. thanks for any help.

RECAP- i just take my phone to the orange shop and they will unlock it for me/ or go on a website and do it that way
cheers
Just cos it's unlocked doesn't mean you can't use your original sim, it just means you can use any sim so once unlocked, keep old sim in and use as normal. When you get to Aus get new sim and use as normal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.