Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

do I or dont I export my car to Melbourne

do I or dont I export my car to Melbourne

Old Apr 18th 2010, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

welshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nice
Default do I or dont I export my car to Melbourne

Hi

Just got a job offer in melbourne on a 457 Visa do I export my car with all my furniture I owe A Vauxhall VXR8 08 Model 6 Litre LS2 Made in Australia as a Holden Clubsport R8
this Vehicle in the Uk is only worth about £18500 to £20,000 do the current Down Turn and Mr Browns Taxes.

Can anyone help.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 7:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do I or dont I export my car to Melbourne

If you're coming on a temp visa I wouldn't bring the car. However, if I were coming on a PR visa I wouldn't bring a car either, way too much hassle unless it's a much loved, unbeatable member of the family.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 7:33 am
Just Joined

corinamac has a spectacular aura aboutcorinamac has a spectacular aura aboutcorinamac has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
If you're coming on a temp visa I wouldn't bring the car. However, if I were coming on a PR visa I wouldn't bring a car either, way too much hassle unless it's a much loved, unbeatable member of the family.
Hi- we have just imported both of our cars- a VW Passat and a ford galaxy- they have arrived and we have just had a bill for import duty which is $1200 for both cars- we now need to get them compliance checked which isn't going to cost too much.

The reason we imported them is because of the exchange rate more than anything and to sell them in uk and then transfer to dollars was a great loss- you really just need to calculate if it's worth it or not financially and the hassle-we have been lucky to borrow cars from family here but we shipped ours 27th Jan and we still haven't got them- its 6 weeks shipping + 3 weeks customs clearance and then another 10 day compliance checking.

Hope this helps
Old Apr 19th 2010, 7:44 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

A 457 visa can delay import approval and sometimes will only be issued when you are actually here apparently. You may wish to seek some professional advice as temporary visas muddy the waters somewhat.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

welshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nice

Thanks for the help with your replies.

gonna need to speek to the shipping agent that new employ's have appointed.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 8:53 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshdragon2010
Hi

Vauxhall VXR8 08 Model 6 Litre LS2 Made in Australia as a Holden Clubsport R8
If its not identical (which I doubt it is) you will probably have compliance issues which on this type of car could possibly be quite expensive.

As has already been mentioned a couple of times, unless its something a bit special, it normally isnt worth the hassle at the end of the day. It will always be a Vauxhall & not a Holden, and that is a big thing to take into account with the Aussies.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Lymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant future

We have a Mitsibushi Shogun worth about £8k. What would be the price to import this?
I know it is not a special car or anything, but the cost to buy an equal car might be alot more than the import cost. Has anyone found it cheaper than buying a similar car in Oz?
Old Apr 21st 2010, 9:40 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lymm Mover
We have a Mitsibushi Shogun worth about £8k. What would be the price to import this?
I know it is not a special car or anything, but the cost to buy an equal car might be alot more than the import cost. Has anyone found it cheaper than buying a similar car in Oz?
I have read a 1001 posts on importing cars, and presently because the exchange rate & value of cars in the UK is pants at the moment, it is getting a bit more interesting, but you will still face import taxes, shipping costs, cleaning costs, compliancy issues & a shedload of paperwork. Insuring grey imports can be more expensive if its not a standard Australian model, and selling it will always be harder than a proper import. You will lose money there as well.

If you have a BMW for example, parts & servicing are much more expensive compared the Oz as well, so all the money you have saved on importing dissappear in a couple of years elsewhere.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 10:22 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by corinamac
Hi- we have just imported both of our cars- a VW Passat and a ford galaxy- they have arrived and we have just had a bill for import duty which is $1200 for both cars- we now need to get them compliance checked which isn't going to cost too much.

The reason we imported them is because of the exchange rate more than anything and to sell them in uk and then transfer to dollars was a great loss- you really just need to calculate if it's worth it or not financially and the hassle-we have been lucky to borrow cars from family here but we shipped ours 27th Jan and we still haven't got them- its 6 weeks shipping + 3 weeks customs clearance and then another 10 day compliance checking.

Hope this helps
Easier said than done. I had a Japanese car complianced once cost me 8 grand. Car was RHD
Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

mooshk is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm definitely planning on taking my car out, but to Queensland, for similar reasons (exchange rate mainly).

Most advice i've seen on the site is to forget it but i love my car, i've had it from new, and think i'll be better off even if it does cost me around $5k.

i am not so proud to admit defeat if it tuns out i made the wrong decision though!

Watch this space!!!
Old Apr 27th 2010, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by corinamac
Hi- we have just imported both of our cars- a VW Passat and a ford galaxy
You will have lots of fun if anything breaks on the Galaxy, I don't think it was ever sold here.