Reload this Page >

Do electrical goods work in Oz?

Do electrical goods work in Oz?

Old Nov 16th 2008, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

tezluelle is on a distinguished road
Default Do electrical goods work in Oz?

Hi there

Searching the forums I can see that people have mentioned shiping everything over including all their electrical goods. I was under the impression that British electrical goods would not be compatible in Australia, can any one enlighten me?

The types of electrical goods I am talking about are:

American Fridge Freezer
Microwave
Breadmakers / slow cookers
Toasters
TV,s
PCs
Laptops

I am thinking that small things like hair dryers and straighteners can be used with an adapter but is this the case with the bigger things?

Thanks, Thereze
Old Nov 16th 2008, 2:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do electrical goods work in Oz?

Originally Posted by tezluelle
Hi there

Searching the forums I can see that people have mentioned shiping everything over including all their electrical goods. I was under the impression that British electrical goods would not be compatible in Australia, can any one enlighten me?

American Fridge Freezer
Microwave
Toasters
TV,s
PCs
Laptops

I am thinking that small things like hair dryers and straighteners can be used with an adapter but is this the case with the bigger things?

Thanks, Thereze
You need an adapter for the plugs, as plugs here are different. If you search on each of these items youll find the answers on here many times, but basically the item that seems to give most trouble is the TV - some work, some don't. Everything else on your list will work fine.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Pollyanna, I will search the individual items like you have suggested. I am quite keen to consider taking everything we can but my husband is not keen on having 'ugly' adapters everywhere in our new home and doesn't think our American Fridge would travel well. I shall investigate further!
Old Nov 16th 2008, 3:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pollyanna, I will search the individual items like you have suggested. I am quite keen to consider taking everything we can but my husband is not keen on having 'ugly' adapters everywhere in our new home and doesn't think our American Fridge would travel well. I shall investigate further!
You can probably get new power leads for many of the items like the PC and the laptop.
You might also like to tell your husband that many AUssie houses are seriously lacking in power points and a lot of people end up with multi-point power boards everywhere, so a few adapters on plugs hardly get noticed - most of them are very small anyway.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 4:54 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

American Fridge Freezer
Microwave
Toasters
TV,s
PCs
Laptops

Thanks, Thereze
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...+regards+steve
Old Nov 16th 2008, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You can probably get new power leads for many of the items like the PC and the laptop.
You might also like to tell your husband that many AUssie houses are seriously lacking in power points and a lot of people end up with multi-point power boards everywhere, so a few adapters on plugs hardly get noticed - most of them are very small anyway.
Gosh we are certain to notice the lack in power points in Oz then! Our home is a self build with 4 - 5 power points in each room. I think the Aussie houses will definitely take some adapting to, we are spoilt in this house and as it looks like we might need to rent for an extended preoiod of time and on a low budget when we get to OZ so we seriously need to learn to rough it!
Old Nov 16th 2008, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that
Old Nov 16th 2008, 8:06 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing will work when there is no power.....again.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 9:48 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Just cut the uk plugs off and put aussie ones on....
Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:04 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware thats circuits are 10amp with trip fuses here, so thing like quick boil kettles etc that plug more than 10amps are not going to work. I've also heard said that uk fridges are not rated to work in the heat of oz.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:09 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by datamile
I've also heard said that uk fridges are not rated to work in the heat of oz.
Our kitchen in the UK sat between 18 degrees in the winter and about 24 in the summer. The aircon here is set on 22 degrees, so no reason the fridge wont work in that.

Not sure how it would fair outside in 40 degrees though?
Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:16 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by datamile
Be aware thats circuits are 10amp with trip fuses here, so thing like quick boil kettles etc that plug more than 10amps are not going to work. I've also heard said that uk fridges are not rated to work in the heat of oz.
Yes. UK fast boil kettles are rated at 3kW which is approx. 12A. This should not trip the MCB (16A) on it's own but it would not be good practice to do this.

UK fridges work okay here. The story that they are not rated for the heat is a myth. We have 2 UK fridges in our garage, which gets very hot in Summer, and they work fine.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:24 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yes. UK fast boil kettles are rated at 3kW which is approx. 12A. This should not trip the MCB (16A) on it's own but it would not be good practice to do this.

UK fridges work okay here. The story that they are not rated for the heat is a myth. We have 2 UK fridges in our garage, which gets very hot in Summer, and they work fine.
Go to the shops and buy half a dozen multi gang UK power boards. Change the plugs on those and plug your uk plugs into the power board.

Bring another 500 and sell them to people on this forum.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:41 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
Go to the shops and buy half a dozen multi gang UK power boards. Change the plugs on those and plug your uk plugs into the power board.

Yes, it would be a good little earner.

When I was in Singapore recently I picked up some multi-gang power boards that take every power plug imagineable. UK/AU/USA/SA, surge protected too. They work great. I'll be there again in a few weeks and will probably pick up some more.

I should flog some on BE.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:53 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Burbage

The above is a GREAT idea in the short term.
But... don't forget the fuses for the plugs, cause you won't find any here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.