Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do double demerits make you think about the way you drive?

View Poll Results: Does double demerits slow down your driving?
Not at all.
15.38%
Yes
84.62%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 29th 2003, 2:19 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Do double demerits make you think about the way you drive?

I have certainly noticed a slowing of traffic . There are certainly a lot more speed traps around. I would say I have slowed 5 k and am less likely to accelerate over the amber lights on the parra road.

What about the rest of you?
Old Dec 29th 2003, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I was turbo observant of my speed limit yesterday, but I still reckon I got had doing 70 in a 60 just outside Morisset. I await the post with a due sense of trepidation.
Old Dec 29th 2003, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

I got flashed by a multi nova the day before the double demerits started. Phew.... But yes people do seem to be more aware, me included
Old Dec 29th 2003, 2:53 am
ABCDiamond

I just stop driving over Christmas, let my wife drive

I would tend to spend more time watching my speedo, than the road !

Old Dec 29th 2003, 2:54 am

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I just stop driving over Christmas, let my wife drive

I would tend to spend more time watching my speedo, than the road !
Is that something to do with being over the limit as well?
Old Dec 29th 2003, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

koala_mac is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know how long it takes to clear demerit points from your licence? I think it's three or four years in the UK (it's been a while since my licence got cleared of the last points from a well-camouflaged camera in an unfamiliar area )

It seems Oz is a lot less forgiving on speeding. We will have to watch ourselves when we go out there - we normally tool down motorways at 85mph (tho' we don't speed in built-up areas, and don't [normally] drive through amber lights).

Cheers

K_M
Old Dec 29th 2003, 10:26 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by koala_mac
Does anyone know how long it takes to clear demerit points from your licence? I think it's three or four years in the UK (it's been a while since my licence got cleared of the last points from a well-camouflaged camera in an unfamiliar area )

It seems Oz is a lot less forgiving on speeding. We will have to watch ourselves when we go out there - we normally tool down motorways at 85mph (tho' we don't speed in built-up areas, and don't [normally] drive through amber lights).

Cheers

K_M
You will have to watch out over here.
I stopped at a pedestrian crossing once, and wondered why the pedestrian didnt start to cross, until the car behind hit me!!
I always look behind me now before I stop at crossings or amber lights.

Watch out for the 50kph zones aswell, maybe not all areas yet, but built up areas around here without the 60kph signs are 50kph.

Driving over here is an experience

Current penalties for speeding in QLD are:
Less than 13 km/h over the speed limit: $A100 + 1 demerit point.
At least 13 km/h but not more than 20 km/h over the speed limit: $A150 + 3 demerit points.
More than 20 km/h but not more than 30 km/h over the speed limit: $A250 + 4 demerit points.
More than 30 km/h but not more than 40 km/h over the speed limit: $A350 + 6 demerit points.
More than 40km/h over the speed limit: $A700 + 8 demerit points and 6 month suspension.

The demerit points system is a national initiative that is currently in place in all States and the ACT:
For unrestricted gold, silver or magenta licence holders, the suspension periods are:
12 to 15 points: 3 months.
16 to 19 points: 4 months.
20 or more points: 5 months.

When a licence holder accumulates a certain number of demerit points, his or her licence will be suspended.
Full unrestricted licence holders (gold, silver or magenta) – 12 demerit points in any three year period.

Hope this helps

Old Dec 29th 2003, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

koala_mac is an unknown quantity at this point

gah! Now I understand why my mum was such a cautious driver when they were living in Brissie....

Thanks for the info

K_M
Old Dec 29th 2003, 11:16 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I counted myself as a decent enough driver before driving in Sydney!! Now I know I am good! But seriously it would be a nightmare here without a car and the double demerits means you can lose your licence very very quickly with a couple of speeding fines - so I don't, or at least I try very hard not to.

I slowed for orange the other week and the car behind me fishtailed and then honked when he finally came to a rest on the curb, cause I did not go through the lights as he expected.
Old Dec 29th 2003, 12:04 pm
WBB

i have never had a speeding ticket in my life, but in the last 6 weeks i have clocked up 6 points and £120 in fines.

Old Dec 29th 2003, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Phil & Karen is an unknown quantity at this point

The wife bought me a book of Viz letters for Xmas and reading this thread reminded me of one of them.

'I read in an article recently that one third of road accidents are caused by people who have been drinking too much, and one quarter of accidents are caused by people driving too quickly. It doesn't take a genius to work out that two thirds are therefore caused by people who have not had enough to drink and three quarters by people who drive too slowly. This means that people who drive quickly whilst over the limit are twelve times safer than those who are sober and obet the speed limit'!!

Made me chuckle anyway!
Old Dec 29th 2003, 11:47 pm
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do double demerits make you think about the way you drive?

Originally posted by bondipom

I have certainly noticed a slowing of traffic . There are certainly a lot more speed traps around. I would say I have slowed 5 k and am less likely to accelerate over the amber lights on the parra road.

What about the rest of you?
I'm still a P plater so I'm used to sticking to the speed limits. In the UK I could lose my licence after 2 speeding tickets.:scared:

I assume I still have 6 points in Perth? Anyone know?
Old Dec 29th 2003, 11:55 pm
WBB

Default Re: Do double demerits make you think about the way you drive?

Originally posted by Pookin
I'm still a P plater so I'm used to sticking to the speed limits. In the UK I could lose my licence after 2 speeding tickets.:scared:

I assume I still have 6 points in Perth? Anyone know?

i'm sure you start with a clean licence in aus, any UK points are not counted over there.

speed away !

Old Dec 30th 2003, 3:48 am

Road deaths slightly worse this year