Do Dogs Like Oz

Old Mar 4th 2005, 8:28 pm
la la la la la errr... la

deadlygrape is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do Dogs Like Oz

my dog is a 11 month year old and is a japanise akita she has a really thick coat and they grow like they sleep in compost (only at 11months and shes 24 inches to the shoulder and theres more to grow :scared: ) does the weather effect her as the thick coat may get too hot or do you recken she'll just flop over and lap up the sun. how much does it cost to ship them over and i know quarintine only 30 days from britain its the cost im worried about. do any snakes (if there is any in perth) get in the way becuase i know she'll bring one in and look all proud.

cheers for any advice
Old Mar 4th 2005, 9:01 pm
wombat42

Default Re: Do Dogs Like Oz

Originally Posted by deadlygrape
my dog is a 11 month year old and is a japanise akita she has a really thick coat and they grow like they sleep in compost (only at 11months and shes 24 inches to the shoulder and theres more to grow :scared: ) does the weather effect her as the thick coat may get too hot or do you recken she'll just flop over and lap up the sun. how much does it cost to ship them over and i know quarintine only 30 days from britain its the cost im worried about. do any snakes (if there is any in perth) get in the way becuase i know she'll bring one in and look all proud.

cheers for any advice
OZ is'nt crawling with snakes everwhere and in everyones backyard as many people overseas think. It is rare to come across a snake and even more so in a city like Perth or Melboune. Don't worry your dog is'nt going to come across a snake while taking him for a walk in a street or park in suburban Perth, even if you are living in the bush it would be unlikely.
Could you cut its coat back a bit in summer.

Last edited by wombat42; Mar 4th 2005 at 9:04 pm.

Old Mar 4th 2005, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by deadlygrape

cheers for any advice
Dogs love oz because ozzies love dogs! You'll have to be very careful about heat-stroke and try to get someone who can maybe clip your dog's undercoat a bit so she'll not be so hot. I had a goldie and I know my groomer had a way of working through the undercoat that didn't affect the look of the top coat.

Don't leave your dog outside in summer even with a bucket of water as she can knock it over and die in the 40-plus temps, rather keep her inside and in front of the aircon.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

lissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nice

I took my dog to Perth - the people caring for her in quarentine seemed really nice. She adapted very quickly (a nine year old labrador), I think home for dogs is where their owners are. She coped with the heat - we just took her out either early or late and avoided the hotest time. On a down side things didn't work out for us so we came back. Even if you are sure now that you are staying, my advice is to get her rabies jab done in the Uk, so she has a pet passport - that way if there are problems, your dog wont have to do quarentine back in the UK. (dont mean to be negative, just wouldn't want someone to experience the problem we had).
Old Mar 5th 2005, 9:50 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lissysarah
I took my dog to Perth - the people caring for her in quarentine seemed really nice. She adapted very quickly (a nine year old labrador), I think home for dogs is where their owners are. She coped with the heat - we just took her out either early or late and avoided the hotest time. On a down side things didn't work out for us so we came back. Even if you are sure now that you are staying, my advice is to get her rabies jab done in the Uk, so she has a pet passport - that way if there are problems, your dog wont have to do quarentine back in the UK. (dont mean to be negative, just wouldn't want someone to experience the problem we had).
Don`t get the leptospirosis jab though (make sure the vet can do the others without that one). If they get it they may be positive for it when the blood test is done (cos they were injected with it). It`s not needed for Aus and if it`s in the blood because of the vaccine then you will have more expense and delays.
Only get the rabies one if it`s possible you may bring your dog back to the UK. Otherwise, don`t get it as it`s not needed (and will save you £50).

email Bill at skydogs on mailto:[email protected] . He will give you the best price and honest advice.

As to the heat, my wife`s parents have some huge mountain dog which is like a small horse with sheeps fur. Slightly bigger than a St.Bernard and with more fur. She doesn`t like the heat obviously but she copes (not dead yet anyway). They shave her fur off every so often and that makes her alot happier. So no, your dog will not like the heat but there are things you can do to make it more comfortable for it.