British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Do brown snakes ever find their way indoors? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/do-brown-snakes-ever-find-their-way-indoors-503505/)

alexleeson Jan 4th 2008 10:53 am

Do brown snakes ever find their way indoors?

Hi

I live in Victoria, in a semirural area. Our neighbours just had their dogs bitten by a baby brown snake. They came round tonight to let us know.

We have never seen any brown snakes here yet but are wondering if they ever go inside houses or just stay outside. If they go inside would they hide anywhere specific? What do we do if we see one? We are just worried about our toddlers. Is there a way to deter the snakes?

Thanks
Alex

sdunx Jan 4th 2008 11:09 am

Re: Do brown snakes ever find their way indoors?

Originally Posted by alexleeson (Post 5738111)
Hi

I live in Victoria, in a semirural area. Our neighbours just had their dogs bitten by a baby brown snake. They came round tonight to let us know.

We have never seen any brown snakes here yet but are wondering if they ever go inside houses or just stay outside. If they go inside would they hide anywhere specific? What do we do if we see one? We are just worried about our toddlers. Is there a way to deter the snakes?

Thanks
Alex

Unlike most snakes brown snakes can be dangerous as aggressive, belligerant and without fear. Keep your grass and flora short and don't keep rabbits, guinea pigs, rats etc as pets.

Read up on the internet how to apply a pressure bandage just in case you're extremely unlucky (may give you peace of mind however), certainly don't attack them with a stick as totally stupid (you'd be surprised).

If you're still concerned emigrate to UK, they don't have such life threatening serpents - unless you count the chavs

Swooty Jan 4th 2008 11:13 am

Originally Posted by sdunx (Post 5738162)
If you're still concerned emigrate to UK, they don't have such life threatening serpents - unless you count the chavs

And Politicians ! ! !:thumbsup:

yanH Jan 4th 2008 11:22 am

Originally Posted by sdunx (Post 5738162)

And they definately outnumber the brown snakes :lol:

Amazulu Jan 4th 2008 11:43 am

Originally Posted by yanH (Post 5738213)
And they definately outnumber the brown snakes :lol:

And the biggest snake in the UK is called Brown.

denkar101 Jan 4th 2008 6:12 pm

Hi

Thanks
Alex

Hi Alex,
Any snake that is local to your area has the potential to come inside your house, anywhere a mouse can get in, so can a snake. Does not happen very often but.....
Most snakes will try to get away, extremely rare for them to attack. If you see one, steer clear of it. If you find one inside, close the area off and call a professional catcher, i.e. 'Snakebusters'.
No real way to deter them other than to keep grass and weeds down around your property, gives them nowhere to hide or breed.
Cheers,
Dennis

alexleeson Jan 5th 2008 7:10 am

Thanks for the post. I am a little more relieved.

diddy Jan 5th 2008 12:33 pm

Hi

Thanks
Alex

Don't give them a key.