Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do Australians Hate Fat People..???

Old Feb 17th 2005, 7:01 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Do Australians Hate Fat People..???

Hi, Just a SMALL point. Everyone seems to be obsessed with their weight when applyng for a visa...Has anyone ever been refused a visa for simply being a lard arse..???? I havn't seen any posts saying they have...

P.S. I'm a 5'9" male how heavy should I weigh.??
Old Feb 17th 2005, 7:10 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Australians Hate Fat People..???

Originally Posted by CORKER
Hi, Just a SMALL point. Everyone seems to be obsessed with their weight when applyng for a visa...Has anyone ever been refused a visa for simply being a lard arse..???? I havn't seen any posts saying they have...

If that was the case then they would have to deport half their people. Australia is a seriously lard arse nation.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
If that was the case then they would have to deport half their people. Australia is a seriously lard arse nation.
Was just about to put that (be it more delicately)...you beat me too it!
Old Feb 17th 2005, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

There is a load of fast food resturants over there, so they do have there share of ( big boned, it's my glands, i'm to small for my weight) heavy people.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice

Some people are trying to lose weight to ensure they don't have complications for their Oz medicals. If your BMI is > 30 or so they may consider doing a referral etc, and you may find you have things like diabetes etc without having realised it.

Other people are trying to lose weight as they are hoping to start a new lifestyle down under and want to feel comfortable walking around on the beach with members of the opposite sex showing interest in them.

Yet other people are trying to lose weight as they want to live longer in the "promised land of sun, sea and sand" and not have a heart attack after 2 years.

Others want to minimise the chances of diabetes etc

Other people just realise they need to lose a few pounds so why not start now.

While there may be a typical weight range that is considered healthy for someone of a set height, sex etc, and this may work for most people, it does not take into account build, muscle etc etc and should only be considered a guide. There is a lot of discussion in the health world at the moment about the fact that BMI (Body Mass Index) is no longer a sensible measurement for determining healthy weight as:

a. The formula was created quite a while ago and we are taller now, hence the formula should be altered.
b. BMI does not work for people who are short, or tall that well, and also does not work for people who have skinny legs but quite a big belly for example.

If you use BMI as a measurement then people like Brad Pitt, Mathew Pincent etc are considered overweight or obese because they have a fair bit of muscle which weighs quite a bit. I don't think any medical person would seriously consider them to be overweight though!!!

Do a search on google for "BMI tool" and you'll find calculators such as:
http://www.edietsuk.co.uk/icircle/bmi.html

Another good measurement to use is %age bodyfat, which doesn't care about your weight but just looks at how much body fat you have. Typically a range of 15-20% is considered good for a 25-25 yr old man, and 20-25% for a similar aged woman. Once again plenty of info on the internet.

typical 10.5 stone to 12-13 stone I expect is consdered average/healthy.

I am 5'9, 10st 10lbs, 15%, however I do gym/play sports 4-5 times a week.

hth

alex
Old Feb 17th 2005, 8:17 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hiya Corker,
fat boy lard arse here

No it's ok, I didn't get followed about by the Police or Doctors whilst I was in Oz. I do suffer constant ear abuse from the wife though

It's more to do with being healthy than being fat, that's why the medical consentrates on your helth when you have the medical. Being fat isn't the problem it's the things that it causes that could cause, eg costs for the Oz helth service.

I personaly believe that being in a hot ambient makes me eat less, and thus loose weight
Being more active also helps

Bye for now
Mark
Old Feb 17th 2005, 8:31 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

No, only narrow-minded, bigoted & intolerant people hate fat people. Its not confined to aussies, that's for sure!
Old Feb 17th 2005, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Didnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the rough

Well thats a good question I too have considered this quite deeply!!!

Looked into settling in Townsville, visuallised myself standing on those idyllic beaches with my boardies on slightly tanned looking good!

Now comes the time to go for a swim, heard about stingers seen the video (oh shit!) on goes the spandex stinger suit, then reality strikes!! :scared:

Catch a glimpse of my reflection on those crystal blue waters (oh shit!) time to get into the water as quick as you can because what a tube you look. Who gives a shit about stingers because what an embarassment!!

Take it from a man at a young nieve age, came from the north east of scotland with a slightly blue complexion. Proudly walked onto bondi beach with no more than his black speedos on, again reality struck (along with a lot of laughter), quickly covered up and returned home to get drunk!

All these things must be considered next time you get on the scales. Not that I've learned from my own lessons.

A well insulated scotsman
Old Feb 17th 2005, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

If Aussies hated fatsos, they would not like themselves one little bit. Of course Aussies are the least self depriciating nation on the planet, bar the yanks.

Hope that answers your question.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
No, only narrow-minded, bigoted & intolerant people hate fat people. Its not confined to aussies, that's for sure!
Does ANYONE hate fat people? I always feel great about myself in their company
Old Feb 17th 2005, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

To answer the question - YES
Old Feb 17th 2005, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RichS
To answer the question - YES
Is that yes you hate fat people or yes, there ARE people who hate fat people or yes Australians do hate fat people Are you still following me!!

Last edited by desperate2go; Feb 17th 2005 at 11:31 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

I don't think Aussies hate fat people. It reminds me a bit of California - the nearer you get to the beach, the more obsessed people tend to be with their physique. On the other hand there are a lot of very large people. I don't hear any more disparaging remarks than you'd hear anywhere else.

It's only normal that you'd worry if you're obese at the medical for your visa. It's just one more thing to worry about when embarking on emigration. But I think you'd have to be obese and have other issues (high blood pressure etc etc) before they failed a medical.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 12:49 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Another point to add here while on the wieght issue.

Anyone who thinks they will loose weight when they get to OZ with all the healthy food etc well it doesn't happen! Well not to me, hubby, and my group of friends. There's too many fast food places over here, afterall Australia is trying to be America.

Jenny
Old Feb 18th 2005, 12:55 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jensteve
Another point to add here while on the wieght issue.

Anyone who thinks they will loose weight when they get to OZ with all the healthy food etc well it doesn't happen! Well not to me, hubby, and my group of friends. There's too many fast food places over here, afterall Australia is trying to be America.

Jenny
I'll drink to that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.