Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do aussies object to the invasion of poms

Wikiposts

Do aussies object to the invasion of poms

Old Apr 19th 2005, 11:30 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do aussies object to the invasion of poms

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The ones best accepted are the scotts and irish, baudy humour amuses the aussies, there not classed as poms, most are a bit rough like aussies, got the piss head thing right.
So the Scots, Irish and Australians are, "a bit rough" are they?

Nice to see that you're not generalising / stereotyping there.
Just managing to offend 3 nations in 1 sentence!

I take it you think that most English are self indulgent fools as well?
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:28 pm
ABCDiamond

None of the Australian friends that I have had, (during my 15 years here) have ever mentioned any problems with us moving over.

Other than complaints about the ones who do nothing but complain all the time of course. (but that's to be expected)

Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:28 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by Scossie
So the Scots, Irish and Australians are, "a bit rough" are they?

Nice to see that you're not generalising / stereotyping there.
Just managing to offend 3 nations in 1 sentence!

I take it you think that most English are self indulgent fools as well?
Know what Jad and Rich means about certain Poms being precious, having said that, it could be anyone, and I wouldn't say the Celts are any tougher.

My particular amusement is the pub type in the UK who spends all his time down the pub and thinks he's a geezer because he has a gut, the type who thinks he is "growing it" or something, but you ask him to go the extra yard and he goes all soft. The gut's no good then. I quite like the fact there are less pubs here in a way, they are designed for the occasional cold one, not as a secondary living room.

badge

Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:30 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by bondipom
In my experience expats whinge. Take a Brit, Aussie, American and put them to live somewhere unfamiliar and the whinging starts. I agree with yours and stormz sentiments.
i don't see myself as an expat, I see myself being a migrant in a place that just works for me.

Badge

Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:49 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

I'd maintan any day tho poms and aussies dont mix that well, humour and attitudes are very different,

This is not true. I have mixed well with many Australian ladies
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:49 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Badge
Know what Jad and Rich means about certain Poms being precious, having said that, it could be anyone, and I wouldn't say the Celts are any tougher.

My particular amusement is the pub type in the UK who spends all his time down the pub and thinks he's a geezer because he has a gut, the type who thinks he is "growing it" or something, but you ask him to go the extra yard and he goes all soft. The gut's no good then. I quite like the fact there are less pubs here in a way, they are designed for the occasional cold one, not as a secondary living room.

badge
What is different is that instead of sitting in ladbrokes all day the gambling addicts sit in the TAB or section of the pub/club all day. The same but different.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:01 pm
Badge

What is different is that instead of sitting in ladbrokes all day the gambling addicts sit in the TAB or section of the pub/club all day. The same but different.
you're getting very argumentative these days old boy. The difference is that gambling is often frowned by most if they had to be honest, whereas living in a pub is seen as more acceptable in the UK - it's part of the culture. There is a fine line between alchoholism and living in a pub, but it gets washed under the carpet.

Anyhow, I'm not taking about the length of time spent somewhere, it's the ''preciousness'' of it we were talking about. ie having a gut, and an England top does not an international soccer star make.

It is a fact that there is less pub culture in Australia.

Badge

Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:24 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Badge
you're getting very argumentative these days old boy. The difference is that gambling is often frowned by most if they had to be honest, whereas living in a pub is seen as more acceptable in the UK - it's part of the culture. There is a fine line between alchoholism and living in a pub, but it gets washed under the carpet.

Anyhow, I'm not taking about the length of time spent somewhere, it's the ''preciousness'' of it we were talking about. ie having a gut, and an England top does not an international soccer star make.

It is a fact that there is less pub culture in Australia.

Badge
IMO gambling is more acceptable here and the alchohol more acceptable in Britain. Isn't the saying Aussies will bet on 2 flies climbing up a wall? As with alchohol gambling can be highly destructive. Just pointing out the differences as you were.

The gut in the pub is probably equally endemic.

As an expectant father pub time is long gone. Not that I ever lived in one.

Last edited by bondipom; Apr 19th 2005 at 1:26 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:42 pm
Badge

IMO gambling is more acceptable here and the alchohol more acceptable in Britain. Isn't the saying Aussies will bet on 2 flies climbing up a wall? As with alchohol gambling can be highly destructive. Just pointing out the differences as you were.

The gut in the pub is probably equally endemic.

As an expectant father pub time is long gone. Not that I ever lived in one.
jeez...there's a hole in my bucket dear Liza...

you take every point and twist it...all in the name of balance

ie. I said that there is less of a pub culture here, not that there isn't a alchohol culture here.

Anyhow like I said, I was talking about the preciousness, Aussies have guts, yes, they gamble (You were the one that bought up gambling not me!), but I was saying, as J & R says, that in a subtle way, poms are more precious with respect to hardship in some ways.

Badge

Last edited by Badge; Apr 19th 2005 at 1:45 pm.

Old Apr 19th 2005, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by innocent bystander
Are there any aussies out there who would like to voice an opinion about us kind English folk, or maybe there are new aussies(formerly poms) that have had bad vibes the aussies. Just wondered.

P.S also just wanted to see my new avatar

Most Australians won't know or care where you come from - as long as you don't whinge too much and do the job properly they won't give a rats. Migrants have been coming for generations and they are quite used to it.

You can get entirely the wrong impression on this site. Australia is NOT being invaded by the English (maybe northern suburbs of Perth are different) but not anywhere else. Don't forget that most migrants are not from Britain anyway, they only make up around 10% of the total migrants in each year.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

JohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of light

I'm just waiting for some pearls of wisdom from superior he usually loves any excuse for a bit of pommy bashing
Old Apr 19th 2005, 2:56 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

No where near as much as the poms object to immigrants into the UK .

Personally had no problems. Sense of humour is the biggest variation for me.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 3:07 pm
ABCDiamond

On the Similar Threads list at the bottom of this page is another, older thread, about this called: Poms and aussies Great mates or not?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269351

Old Apr 19th 2005, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

The ones best accepted are the scotts and irish, baudy humour amuses the aussies,
I came to the right place then

Scots/Irish,
JTL
Old Apr 19th 2005, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by innocent bystander
Are there any aussies out there who would like to voice an opinion about us kind English folk, or maybe there are new aussies(formerly poms) that have had bad vibes the aussies. Just wondered.

P.S also just wanted to see my new avatar

Anthropological findings have pointed to aborigines not being the first off the canoe here and every mob since has followed that pattern. We are all immigrants.

As long as people don't rort the system, I don't care where they come from. I reckon that those who had a hard time getting here make the best settlers. As long as you give back more than you take then you are more than welcome but then that applies to any society.