Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do Aussies like to haggle????

Do Aussies like to haggle????

Old May 4th 2007, 9:57 am
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of
Default Do Aussies like to haggle????

Hya, heading out to Brisbane 6th June and hopefully looking to settle in Gold Coast. We are arriving with 4 children and six suitcases so have to start all over again with regards to possessions. Do Aussies like to barter in shops ie for furniture, white goods, etc? And do Aussies do Boot sales? Any help/advice/information would be gladly received.
Old May 4th 2007, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Aussies like to haggle????

Originally Posted by SarahJane2007
Hya, heading out to Brisbane 6th June and hopefully looking to settle in Gold Coast. We are arriving with 4 children and six suitcases so have to start all over again with regards to possessions. Do Aussies like to barter in shops ie for furniture, white goods, etc? And do Aussies do Boot sales? Any help/advice/information would be gladly received.

Yes, haggling is a major thing here. If the shop won't haggle, go somewhere else

Boot sales, I don't think I've seen one yet. They have garage sales here, drive round the suburbs on a Sat/Sun and you'll see lots of signs pointing to them
Old May 4th 2007, 10:10 am
By the sea

sparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of light
Talking Re: Do Aussies like to haggle????

Yep we have done lots of haggling on electrical stuff and we also bought a new mattress and got it less than half price!!! Its saved us a lot of money. Generally we don't like to haggle and we wouldn't have bothered until our friends suggested it!! Go for it!!
Old May 4th 2007, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

kateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to all

hiya

when i arrived i'd heard so much about this haggling lark so when i decided to buy a bike i thought i'd give it a go.

i went into a bike shop and the bike i wanted was reduced by 200 bucks from 875 to 675. i asked the guy why and he said it was last years model. turned out it was too small for me so i went to a different shop which had the exact same bike for 870 with no mark down.

i acted like i knew it all, saying "it's a good bike but it's last years model, what deal are you going to do me on it cos i've just knocked the guy in the last shop down to 640".

he got his calculator out and said the best i can do is 610.

i could barely keep a straight face. i'd just bought a specialized (one of the best makes in the world) flat-bar road bike. the same bike in the uk would have set me back about 800 pounds sterling, last years model or not.

in conclusion i'd just like to say, haggle for all you are worth. it pays dividends.

derek
Old May 4th 2007, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

We do have boot sales, Kaz did one by Harbour town and took over $400 which we were well pleased with. Haggling is the norm but it is only because they put the prices high so they can come down and you think you have a bargain. Sales are really only twice a year but the shops do it as if the have a sale every week but the prices stay the same. The Gold Coast has a area called Bundall ( Ashmore road ) which will have all the shops you need, plus other places splattered around the city. Good luck.
Old May 4th 2007, 11:24 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I even haggle for my take out coffee. The place we were going was charging $3 for a small, $4 for a large. I told the owner that considering our office was buying 8-10 coffees per day I didn't think we should be paying that. Now get it for $2 for large $1.75 small.
Like the man from the Rug and Mattress Warehouse in Adelaide says..."Haggle Haggle Haggle".
Old May 4th 2007, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Like the man from the Rug and Mattress Warehouse in Adelaide says..."Haggle Haggle Haggle".
They have changed the name to 'Haggle.co' You've got to Haggle, Haggle
Old May 4th 2007, 11:43 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
They have changed the name to 'Haggle.co' You've got to Haggle, Haggle
I know. When the spawn of satan (aka my children) want to bother me they start doing the little dance and singing the song. You've got to haggle haggle haggle.
And the former hottie shaved all his lovely dark curls off! It's hard to lust after someone with just a bit of stubble up top. I used to have dreams about running my fingers through his thick, black hair.
Old May 4th 2007, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I know. When the spawn of satan (aka my children) want to bother me they start doing the little dance and singing the song. You've got to haggle haggle haggle.
And the former hottie shaved all his lovely dark curls off! It's hard to lust after someone with just a bit of stubble up top. I used to have dreams about running my fingers through his thick, black hair.

He's grown it again, I saw him last week when we went up there looking for some drawers.

Much nicer with longer hair, gives you something to play with
Old May 4th 2007, 11:55 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by Wendy
He's grown it again, I saw him last week when we went up there looking for some drawers.

Much nicer with longer hair, gives you something to play with
Well, maybe I'll need some new drawers too then. Note to self. Remove wedding rings and children.
Old May 4th 2007, 1:01 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of garage sales and our high school has a boot sale every weekend and does very good business apparently - I'm never up and about early enough to find out
Old May 4th 2007, 2:48 pm
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

Thanks to everybody here who has posted comments...looking forward to some serious haggling when we get there.. !!!!
Old May 4th 2007, 7:43 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everybody here who has posted comments...looking forward to some serious haggling when we get there.. !!!!
Just haggled 15% off a car.. don't ask don't get
Old May 4th 2007, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

GaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really nice

Originally Posted by datamile
Just haggled 15% off a car.. don't ask don't get
Through who? New or used?
Old May 4th 2007, 8:39 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GaryKristensen
Through who? New or used?
New Hyundai santa fe slx.. emailed all the dealers in queensland for quotes and extras. Prices were 43,500 with extras up to 54,000

Best offer was for

HYUNDAI SANTAFE 2.2 SLX CRDI $43490.00
METTALIC PAINT $350.00
TINT $495.00
TOW BAR $895.00
CARPET MATS $120.00
BONNET PROTECTOR $135.00
HEAD LIGHT PROTECTOR $110.00
STYLE VISORS $100.00
STAMP DUTY $914.00
REGISTRATION $264.35
CTP $290.20
DEALER DELIVERY $2195.00
TOTAL $49358.55

ENGLISH DISCOUNT $5858.55

Love the discount name, sure I could pushed for a little more, but they are offering to deliver it to the airport etc.
TOTAL DRIVE AWAY $43500.00

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.