Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do Aussies get what cricket means to Poms?

Do Aussies get what cricket means to Poms?

Old Aug 4th 2005, 11:06 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do Aussies get what cricket means to Poms?

Very few people play cricket in the UK. Mainly because so few schools can afford the kid.

But we love to watch it as it is a good excuse to for 7 hours.

Do they understand?
Old Aug 4th 2005, 11:07 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Do Aussies get what cricket means to Poms?

Originally Posted by worzel
Very few people play cricket in the UK. Mainly because so few schools can afford the kid.

Do they understand?
Im constantly trying to explain that for most Brits, cricket is a game, not a sport.... Some get it, some don't.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 11:08 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Mainly because so few schools can afford the kid.

i presume you mean 'kit' he he

although kids can be damn expensive....
Old Aug 4th 2005, 11:13 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Do they understand?
well my Aussie mates prefer to cricket whilst at the WACA.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 11:55 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Do they understand?
Perfectly, dear chap - drive the most stout Pom to drink.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:40 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
i presume you mean 'kit' he he
Oops! I was typing quickly so I got get to the pub to see the last half hour before lunch. I think that proves my point quite nicely!
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:41 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Oops! I was typing quickly so I got get to the pub to see the last half hour before lunch. I think that proves my point quite nicely!

THE PUB!!!!!?????? :scared:

YOU LUCKY BUGGAR, YOU.....
Old Aug 5th 2005, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Do they understand?
i am a pom and cricket means nothing to me and football to
Old Aug 5th 2005, 9:06 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

There was an interesting article in the herald talking about the dropping participation rate at the youth level in Australia. Maybe England has a chance in the near future.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 9:10 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say its quite popular here always on news and lots of my customers pay it at the weekend .
Old Aug 5th 2005, 9:16 pm
wombat42

Do they understand?
People on this forum constantly whinge how crap Aussie schools are compared to UK schools so it seems strange to me Uk schools can't even afford to buy cricket kits while Aussie schools can.

Old Aug 5th 2005, 9:16 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

My son plays for a club but it does cost me an absolute fortune. New bat each year because he grows so quickly, cost £120 this year, new pads each year because he grows so quickly, helmet, wicket keeper gloves, club subscription and then they charge us a match fee each week as well. Did you see my post the other telling aboout him going in as last man needing 90 runs to draw and then only losing by 8 runs. He got 9 boundaries in total and scored 21 runs of one over!! Not bad for a 12 year old. He also scored the second highest individual score of the whole season. So now he is off to play for an Australian club. Hmmm

BTW I have these costs multiplied because he also plays team football (goalie gloves at £25 at time), tennis, karate, basketball, golf. Expensive kid to run :scared:
Old Aug 5th 2005, 9:22 pm
Never going back

speaking of cricket. my husband plays quite serious cricket here in the uk. the league he is in is a good one, so he's quite a decent 2nd team player. he will be 40 when we get to aus. will there be opportunity for him to play in australia. as the standard iw better in aus than here, he thinks that he wont get a game. do they have things like 'senior' teams (bless him... ). i think he really wants to play over there, but thinks that there wont be an opportunity for him.