Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do all Australians live in Bungalows?

Do all Australians live in Bungalows?

Old Oct 26th 2004, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

ZippyGeorgeBungle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do all Australians live in Bungalows?

Hi
Getting back to the paper my cousin sent me , is this true about the sunshine coast also? No problem with bungalows but my girlfriend prefers the idea of a 'proper' house as she calls it - will be swayed if there is a pool methinks!
George
Old Oct 26th 2004, 4:07 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do all Australians live in Bungalows?

Originally Posted by ZippyGeorgeBungle
Hi
Getting back to the paper my cousin sent me , is this true about the sunshine coast also? No problem with bungalows but my girlfriend prefers the idea of a 'proper' house as she calls it - will be swayed if there is a pool methinks!
George

when i went to Aus there were bungalows, houses, 3 story houses and flats, same as here, so no not all aussies live in bungalows.

laura
Old Oct 26th 2004, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road

Hi
George
Most older 'houses' are single-story but up off the ground. Newer houses are usually 'bugalow' style or multi-story (predominently 2). Inner cities and holiday resorts have loads of multi-story flats, etc. Some huge high-rise appartments in the middle of Brisbane.

The height is your choice subject to local council approval, etc.

Cheers,
AndyH
Brisbane.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

nibblo will become famous soon enoughnibblo will become famous soon enough

Hi
George
Hi george
I have asked the same question and am going to try and find myself a house with 'stairs'!. I have a thing about not living in a bungalow (have lived in one for 4 years and said I would never live in one again) - my husband has said he will even build me a staircase in the garden if we can't find a house with stairs - just so I can still go 'upstairs' once in a while !!!
Happy house (stair) hunting !
Nibblo
Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Single storey houses are far more common here, but they are just called houses, the term "bungalow" isn't used. Because there is so much more land houses are often built on just one floor - in the UK with land at a premium this has always been less common. You soon get used to it, I find it odd now using stairs!.

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 26th 2004 at 9:31 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Single storey houses are far more common here, but they are just called houses, the term "bungalow" isn't used. Because there is so much more land houses are often built on just one floor - in the UK with land at a premium this has always been less common. You soon get used to it, I find it odd now using stairs!.
LOL... a bunglow in OZ terms is pretty much a shack in the bush and no we don't all live in a shack in the bush.

We just call them single/two story houses/2 - 3 level Town houses (row homes) flats and duplexes (2 side by side).

Cheers
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

A lot of the new houses tend to be two storeys - because the land size is getting smaller and people are requiring more volume in their house at the same time. If you go out to the North-western suburbs of Sydney - you'll find seas of two-storey houses.

We'd always lived in a two and even three-storey house before we came here and we chose a bungalow specifically. We find the two-storey houses over here too noisy on the whole. In Holland the floors were all concrete so you weren't bothered by kids jumping up and down.

People are also adding another floor to their bungalow instead of moving - so I think there'll be no shortage of two-storey houses for you to choose from!
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:19 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Bungalow: A thatched or tiled one-story house in India surrounded by a wide verandah.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

One big thing in favour of "bungalows" out here (so i have been told by an aussie) heat rises, and with the extrememe temperatures we get, two storey houses can get very hot upstairs.

We have also been looking at building our own house, and i have to say that single storey homes give a much better feeling of space inside. All the showhomes i have seen with two storeys tend to feel pokey inside and often builders have scrimped on finishes and extras inside due ot the extra costs of putting an extra level on.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 1:26 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

When we came over we had lived in a bungalow in the UK, we were not against the idea of another but its worked out fine, bungalows make the surrounding area look more open, plus you dont get overlooked if your surrounded by them, with 6 ft fencing you never see your neighbours skinny dipping etc.
If we lived in an area with 2 storey housing we would get overlooked by bedroom windows etc and feel more cramped. Plus the local landscape would look more cluttered with housing, at least I can look across a housing estate and see just roofs and trees.
Jenny
Old Oct 27th 2004, 1:32 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

As PP says, hot air rises. My first house in Oz was two storeys and younotice the temp difference as you went upstairs, I'd say 5C hotter. Also two strorey houses have underused space, often a second lounge room or rumpus or study which you don't use as it is not in the main living area. Single storey, lowset houses are very common - the word bungalow is not used in Australia. I would never again live in a two storey house if I could avoid it - lowsets feel much larger and spacious and are more open plan.

If you think 'villa' rather than 'bungalow' you will have a better impression of what single storey Oz houses are like.

Last edited by jayr; Oct 27th 2004 at 1:34 am.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road

Re: Hot air in the 2nd floor

I'm always amused that Aussie builders still think insulation is only for keeping the hot air inside the house - it works the other way too! If you properly insulate your 'loft' and ensure adequate ventilation throughout the house - the upstairs will be able to stay cool as well. And of course it helps to keep the house warmer in winter as well.

AndyH,
Brisbane
Old Oct 27th 2004, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jah4reds
Re: Hot air in the 2nd floor

I'm always amused that Aussie builders still think insulation is only for keeping the hot air inside the house - it works the other way too! If you properly insulate your 'loft' and ensure adequate ventilation throughout the house - the upstairs will be able to stay cool as well. And of course it helps to keep the house warmer in winter as well.

AndyH,
Brisbane
Recent changes to a lot of areas climate codes will mean from now on houses should be insulated walls and ceiling. Up till recently tiled houses didnt even have to have the silver paper underneath the tiles. Watch the display home guys, most dont include the cost of insulation (or many other things in the price), even the bits like insulation you now may need by law

But to be totally honest you can insulate all you like, it makes some difference but when temps go past much past mid 30 even the air is basically hot and unless you can stop the air getting in the house will become hot anyway.

Keeping the doors and windows SHUT is the best way, try it if the house if properly insulated and shut up take the temp, then open the doors and windows it will usually go up

Might be why pollys bloke keeps the curtains shut he knows his aussie stuff
Old Oct 27th 2004, 5:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Might be why pollys bloke keeps the curtains shut he knows his aussie stuff
Good theory; he doesn't mention that though, just says he doesn't like the sunlight.....and it will fade the sofa (which is covered with a tatty old curtain to prevent such an occurence!)..... And he does it cos his mother told him too, and like all good Aussie boys he obeys his mum!
Old Oct 27th 2004, 5:59 am
Badge

Originally Posted by jensteve
never see your neighbours skinny dipping etc.
bugger.

Badge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.