diy removals

Old May 14th 2003, 5:40 pm

kevwalt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default diy removals

as anyone done or doing diy removals.I read a thread on this site of some one that did but can"t find it
many thanks
kev
Old May 14th 2003, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

pott is an unknown quantity at this point

Know the one you mean. Do a search on "container" and it should come up. Its on the second page half way down !!!

Sorry I don't know how to do the link thing yet.

Pott.
Old May 14th 2003, 8:51 pm
can`t believe we made it!

hanley is an unknown quantity at this point

we are hopefully doing a do it yourself container to nz.was recomended to a company from someone on this site.Doing all the packing and loading ourselves but the rest is organised for us, door to door.Really friendly and helpfull company, can`t recomend them enough so far on getting quotes for us.20ft container door to door £2224.(01305 787833)
hope that helps
kerrie
Old May 14th 2003, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

pott is an unknown quantity at this point

We had a quote of a grand for a full container if you pack it yourself. They will deliver it then collect it again - not sure what happens the other side. And the best bit is can't remember who it was with but they were in the yellow pages under shippers or shipping agents.

We did not have enough stuff to put in one that big and I just imagined all our stuff rolling from one end to the other for a month whilst travelling. Insurance was another thing,not sure what happened with regards packing yourself,packing the container that is.

Rattling on again - sorry.

Pott
Old May 15th 2003, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

poggle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: diy removals

Originally posted by kevwalt
as anyone done or doing diy removals.I read a thread on this site of some one that did but can"t find it
many thanks
kev
Hi Kev

we've been in Melbourne nearly 4 mths and did our own packing. we used a company based in London called 'u pack we ship.
i havent got their website handy but i have the phone no.
0208 5301441 ask to speak to Chris smith, great bloke, really helpful and we would thoroughly reccomend them. the shipping co. is Octain limited. 0208 594 4555 email: [email protected] steve is the guy at octain to contact. again, a really good bloke!

We had a 20ft container, really full up!! and our costs door to door was just under £2000.00 this includes the cost of packing materials we had to buy ourselves, whichwas about £200.00. The actual packing is a bit of a nightmare to say the least, but at least you know your stuff has really been wrapped with care!!

The most important thing, which i cant stress enough, is checkout the AQIS website for Australian customs to make sure your not packing anything thats not allowed. ie. untreated wood, pine cones in xmas deckies!

lable every box and item securely, stating what it contains or what it is? if taking a vacuum cleaner, state on inventory that it has been cleaned and bag removed. its small details like this that can make all the difference!
The more thorough you are, the better. but chris will go through all the details with you.

Our container arrived in just under 6 weeks from being taken away from our house. and arrived in tact to our new home without the seal being broken!! we were told by our bonding agents, ASPAC, [asia pacific] [contact there was Debbie Jenkins.] that this is quite a rare occurance. We had such a detailed inventory and all paperwork from the shipping co was in order, so we didnt have any added fees from customs, as they were happy not to check it. which was great!!

One last thing, if you [or anyone else!] contacts these companies for quotes, say you were recommended by Kathy and John, previously from woodford , Essex, it might just you help a bit!

Good Luck! and I hope after me rambling on, its of help to you!

Old May 15th 2003, 7:39 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by poggle
Hi Kev

we've been in Melbourne nearly 4 mths and did our own packing. we used a company based in London called 'u pack we ship.
i havent got their website handy but i have the phone no.
0208 5301441 ask to speak to Chris smith, great bloke, really helpful and we would thoroughly reccomend them. the shipping co. is Octain limited. 0208 594 4555 email: [email protected] steve is the guy at octain to contact. again, a really good bloke!

We had a 20ft container, really full up!! and our costs door to door was just under £2000.00 this includes the cost of packing materials we had to buy ourselves, whichwas about £200.00. The actual packing is a bit of a nightmare to say the least, but at least you know your stuff has really been wrapped with care!!

The most important thing, which i cant stress enough, is checkout the AQIS website for Australian customs to make sure your not packing anything thats not allowed. ie. untreated wood, pine cones in xmas deckies!

lable every box and item securely, stating what it contains or what it is? if taking a vacuum cleaner, state on inventory that it has been cleaned and bag removed. its small details like this that can make all the difference!
The more thorough you are, the better. but chris will go through all the details with you.

Our container arrived in just under 6 weeks from being taken away from our house. and arrived in tact to our new home without the seal being broken!! we were told by our bonding agents, ASPAC, [asia pacific] [contact there was Debbie Jenkins.] that this is quite a rare occurance. We had such a detailed inventory and all paperwork from the shipping co was in order, so we didnt have any added fees from customs, as they were happy not to check it. which was great!!

One last thing, if you [or anyone else!] contacts these companies for quotes, say you were recommended by Kathy and John, previously from woodford , Essex, it might just you help a bit!

Good Luck! and I hope after me rambling on, its of help to you!

You did well K&J , your doc,s must have been perfect ,about 1in10 will actually get through, it also depends were you are going city or country, we can,t for instance take european sourced containers into the Barossa valley[wine grape growing area],this stands as a monument to correct paper work ,beware and prepare for added costs if its not right as AQIS [QUARANTINE ]can order the container be discharged at any Q approved facility so all you d,i,y,s factor in this cost to your caculations......mm
Old May 15th 2003, 8:00 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mr mover
You did well K&J , your doc,s must have been perfect ,about 1in10 will actually get through, it also depends were you are going city or country, we can,t for instance take european sourced containers into the Barossa valley[wine grape growing area],this stands as a monument to correct paper work ,beware and prepare for added costs if its not right as AQIS [QUARANTINE ]can order the container be discharged at any Q approved facility so all you d,i,y,s factor in this cost to your caculations......mm
Do you mean they target containers from DIY'ers, ie not sent by the professionals?

Cheers - Don
Old May 16th 2003, 11:04 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Do you mean they target containers from DIY'ers, ie not sent by the professionals?

Cheers - Don
No ,don , what i am trying to say is ,that k&J managed as novices [diys ] to get a container from door to door,[uk-oz] with out falling foul of aust,s stringent Q-laws ,because 1/ they used all new packing material,s,all boxes and cartons were new not old fruit boxes [a, no no]they obviously could prove this [receipts.etc] the thing s they had in their favour were they went from city to city ,2/ no way would a country [farm ] origin cont get through . Adelaide being less busy than melbourne,no way would you get door to door unles s you were with the DIP, CORPS., The AQIS here are not as busy , i think its only 1-in -25 cont entering oz, get checked..remember, your back grounds are totally checked ,so any thing they find that is out of order is checked,so keep your nose clean. the pro movers tend to have less probs ,due to thier constant flow of freight,and exsperience with the p-work.......MM
Old May 16th 2003, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

poggle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mr mover
No ,don , what i am trying to say is ,that k&J managed as novices [diys ] to get a container from door to door,[uk-oz] with out falling foul of aust,s stringent Q-laws ,because 1/ they used all new packing material,s,all boxes and cartons were new not old fruit boxes [a, no no]they obviously could prove this [receipts.etc] the thing s they had in their favour were they went from city to city ,2/ no way would a country [farm ] origin cont get through . Adelaide being less busy than melbourne,no way would you get door to door unles s you were with the DIP, CORPS., The AQIS here are not as busy , i think its only 1-in -25 cont entering oz, get checked..remember, your back grounds are totally checked ,so any thing they find that is out of order is checked,so keep your nose clean. the pro movers tend to have less probs ,due to thier constant flow of freight,and exsperience with the p-work.......MM

Hi Don and any D.I.Y er's

Doing your own packing and unpacking at destination address, is a cheaper way of making the move from UK to Aus. I agree with MM. Im sure it only goes smoothly if you do your homework on what you can and cant take, pack and label everything well, using new cardboard boxes!! with a clear and concise inventory. abide by all the rules and regs. of AQIS to the letter!! and follow all the advice given by your shippers. if you do all this, you shouldnt get charged much if anything at all! by customs. If you're really lucky you may not have your container opened and searched.

If anyone wants to know anymore about DIY moving, feel free to pm or email me and I'll help if i can.

Cheers