Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

DIY home improvements - allowed?

Wikiposts

DIY home improvements - allowed?

Old Mar 21st 2005, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DIY home improvements - allowed?

[QUOTE=darkless]Fair point. I think that the other option should this arise, is that you can get a plumber in to check the work. Even better if you know a plumber then he can probably check the work and certify it for you for nowt.

This is correct. My eldest son, who is a mechanic, had his house built, by a builder, to lockup and did all the internals by himself, including the wiring and plumbing. He then had his work inspected by licenced tradesmen, whom he knew, who then added their licence number to the job.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
Last year their was a program on TV about renovating 4 flats in Bondi that 4 couples competed against each other to do the best job got the flat for free. These people were doing building work, plumbing and electrical work with no quals (as far as I know).

At the end they had the properties inspected and the list of defects was enormous. They still then went ahead and auctioned these properties and got buyers for them all.

My point is If they can get away with this on National TV why should you need to worry about a bit of work on your own home.
No, the couples only did demolition, painting, sanding - just the amateur stuff. They all had their own builders who did the real work or called in sub-contractors for the electrical and plumbing. One of the guys in the Bondi program was a real plumber so was able to legitimately do all his own plumbing.

The only quibbles they had with defects were mainly to do with dodgy sanded floors and bad paint finishes (all work done by the couples themselves). There were no issues with any work that the tradesmen had done. Channel Nine wouldn't be daft enough to condone illegal building work on a program with such a high profile.

And none of them got the flat for free. They collected the difference between the auction price and a reserve set by the program makers. The winners (those who made the biggest profit) also got a lump sum of cash.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 12:55 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Gibbo]
Originally Posted by darkless
Fair point. I think that the other option should this arise, is that you can get a plumber in to check the work. Even better if you know a plumber then he can probably check the work and certify it for you for nowt.

This is correct. My eldest son, who is a mechanic, had his house built, by a builder, to lockup and did all the internals by himself, including the wiring and plumbing. He then had his work inspected by licenced tradesmen, whom he knew, who then added their licence number to the job.
It's possible to do just this in QLD, though it's frowned upon by local inspecting authorities. Anyone unlicensed can carry out work for a licensed tradesman as long as they are employed by that tradesman. i.e I can employ an unlicensed tiler and he is covered by my licence as the main contractor I then become legally responsible for any work he carries out for me.
Exceptions to that are:
Plumbing and Draining
Gas Fitting
Pest Control
Completed Building Inspection
Fire Protection
Residential Design, Building Design and Interior Design
Site Classifier
All of which have to be carried out by licenced persons so you cannot do your own plumbing and then get it checked by a plumber here in QLD
For anyone in QLD take a look at the QBSA website it gives all the details of the licencing criteria as well as helpful advice for potential home buyers/renovators.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Problem comes up usually long before the house burns down, when selling the house a building inspection is done, the building inspector needs to cover his rear end legally, they zoom in straight away on electrical and plumbing work, usually requesting paperwork and licence nos for any new work extensions etc and full plans approvals for original work. They are very particular, so would I be if stating in writing a house legally met all requirements, and people taking a contract on that opinion.

As cresta says getting a tradesman to legitimise DIY means that tradesman is then legally liable for your work, bet heaps of tradies are keen to do that
Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nickyc
No, the couples only did demolition, painting, sanding - just the amateur stuff. They all had their own builders who did the real work or called in sub-contractors for the electrical and plumbing. One of the guys in the Bondi program was a real plumber so was able to legitimately do all his own plumbing.
Must admit I didn't watch the program but it was such a huge rating success that their was lots of comments in the press and on tv which I did see.

Quote from the Age

The four couples in Channel Nine's top-rating renovation show, The Block, have struck a last-minute hitch, with a damning building inspector's report.

The couples now face having to make urgent repairs to their apartments before next weekend's televised auctions, which are expected to attract millions of viewers.

According to Channel Nine, in the world of do-it-yourself, the reality is that there will be problems.

A building inspector commissioned has reportedly uncovered a series of renovation faults and breaches of building standards in the four units in a building in Sydney's Bondi.

The inspector found faults including bad tiling, poor draining, mismatched skirting boards, and appliances and light switches not properly secured.

One apartment breached building standards by having no ventilation and poor drainage in the bathroom, a newspaper reported.

Channel Nine today said the problems at the Bondi units were "petty" and common for DIY make-overs.

The renovations were undertaken by four couples, each with a $40,000 budget, ahead of next weekend's joint auction.

The couples pocket whatever the auction earns above their apartment's reserve price, while the renovators of the highest-selling apartment win an extra $100,000.

According to the inspection report, three of the four properties needed urgent work. Only one unit passed all but one of the tests.

Full Story
So if your saying the plumbing and electrical work was done by tradespeople it's not a good advertisement for the local tradesman.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:46 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

What about carpentry? Does this have to be licensed?

Also on my new build they wanted $300 to plumb in a dishwasher, its next to the sink so it only needs a cold water supply and a combi waste. I was going to do this myself. Would this be a mistake? (I'm a fairly competent plumber btw)
Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:50 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeywill
What about carpentry? Does this have to be licensed?

Also on my new build they wanted $300 to plumb in a dishwasher, its next to the sink so it only needs a cold water supply and a combi waste. I was going to do this myself. Would this be a mistake? (I'm a fairly competent plumber btw)

What about the power. Its illegal, but.......
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 1:00 am
Banned

jumbo will become famous soon enoughjumbo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The problem arises - as I think we covered in that thread I posted the link to - if you have a fire, they will blame it on the plug you changed. You know what inssurance companies are like, they will wriggle out of anything. Have a read of the stuff by cresta57, he did his research really well.
It seems to me having read the references eg

[COLOR=DarkRed]Doing it yourself
Householders may connect their own plugs
to flexible cords. However, this is not
permitted without an electrical licence when
the work is carried out for gain or reward or
in the course of employment

That if you are doing work for payment then licences etc are required. But if you are a "competent person" obviously working to best practice and doing it yourself there should be no problems. I guess this would apply to plumbing etc.
It seems like in the UK where many people think that all gas installations should be carried out by a Corgi registerd fitter - which is true if it being done for reward - but can otherwise be done by a competent person.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 1:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've read the situation is more complex than the UK, and there is a lot less freedom for DIY.
Read and absorb the posts by Cresta57 and Jad'n'Rich - amongst others - they really do know what they are talking about as they work in the trades.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 4:37 am
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Siren
What about the power. Its illegal, but.......
I had the single socket under the unit for the hob upgraded for a double so it should be ok for power.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 4:39 am
Banned

Is there a web site detailing all the courses that are required for licenses?
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:18 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by pompeywill
Is there a web site detailing all the courses that are required for licenses?
Hiya,
The only problem I could see is that you would spend the rest of your life in TAFE

Should be an interesting reply though.
Bye
Mark