Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

DIY Customs Clearance

DIY Customs Clearance

Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

noonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to all
Default DIY Customs Clearance

Hi all,

I know I'm flogging a dead horse bringing this up again, but I'd love to know what is involved in getting our boxes through customs in Perth ourselves.

I've narrowed our shipping companies down to two - one which does door to door including customs clearance etc etc, and one which is MUCH cheaper but leaves all the arrival port stuff to us.

Does anyone know what this involves? Is it too much of a hassle? I really can't put off the decision any longer!

Thanks very much!
Ed
Old Jul 26th 2006, 3:04 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DIY Customs Clearance

Originally Posted by noonard
Hi all,

I know I'm flogging a dead horse bringing this up again, but I'd love to know what is involved in getting our boxes through customs in Perth ourselves.

I've narrowed our shipping companies down to two - one which does door to door including customs clearance etc etc, and one which is MUCH cheaper but leaves all the arrival port stuff to us.

Does anyone know what this involves? Is it too much of a hassle? I really can't put off the decision any longer!

Thanks very much!
Ed
I doubt its complicated if you are not in a hurry ... To quote neil from the young ones 'people who should not hithchike include : those carrying organs for transplants'

Have you thought about using a seperate shipping agent at the aussie end ? a quick google.com.au or whitepages.com.au should throw some up. Our costs at brisbane were I think about 800-1000$ from recollection. Including a ludicrous fee for delivering packing boxes to our house.

Get onto the Aus customs wbesite and send them an email - they are usually very helpful in deed and should guide you through process.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of

Hi all,

Thanks very much!
Ed
We are in process at looking into all of this too but early days so will be keen to see your replies. BTW what shipping agents ar eyou dealing with this end? and importantly how were the rates? We've had £1490 so far for 20ft container (self pack); hoping to beat that too...
Old Jul 26th 2006, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

noonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rpa34
We are in process at looking into all of this too but early days so will be keen to see your replies. BTW what shipping agents ar eyou dealing with this end? and importantly how were the rates? We've had £1490 so far for 20ft container (self pack); hoping to beat that too...
Well we're only looking at shipping 8 or so 50cmx50cm boxes, so it's a different league really! I'm seriously considering going with a company called Pods Cargo for abour £130. Sounds rather too good to be true! I have no idea what sorting things out the other end involves though...
Old Jul 26th 2006, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of

Well we're only looking at shipping 8 or so 50cmx50cm boxes, so it's a different league really! I'm seriously considering going with a company called Pods Cargo for abour £130. Sounds rather too good to be true! I have no idea what sorting things out the other end involves though...
I'd start first by looking at the Australian customs website, that has details about imports and all the necessary documentation too.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 7:21 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: DIY Customs Clearance

Hi all,

Thanks very much!
Ed
Hi Ed, may I ask which two companies you have narrowed down to?

Buzzy
Old Jul 26th 2006, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hi Ed, may I ask which two companies you have narrowed down to?
Sure - Seven Seas International & Pods Cargo. I really need to arrange boxes to be delivered tomorrow... but I still haven't decided which route to take!