Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

DIY Container : Why package everything?

DIY Container : Why package everything?

Old Jun 14th 2006, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DIY Container : Why package everything?

Originally Posted by Jimmy Cliff
Just waiting for Rob at Executive Freight Services (01252 513 300, based in Farborough) to come back to me with a quote for container to come to my house, 2.5 hours packing time, take to docks and ship to Brisbane. I have said I will get an agent to deal with the other side. Will work on that bit today and let you all know along with Robs quote. He can also supply the packing crates and is getting some prices on the sofa bags/mattress covers etc.

Looking forward to a meet and a when we all get there.

Vics x
how did you get on vic?
Old Jun 14th 2006, 6:20 pm
ridiculous avatar

Jimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by debbiemc
how did you get on vic?
No word from Rob yet, will give him till Friday. Had shippers round today for quotes (see 'how much did you pay for container' thread). Still think we will DIY at this moment in time if Robs quote comes in good. I know if I get the right boxes and packing stuff I can do it easy peasy, we will do it over a few weeks, a box a night/day or so. Huzza says he is quite happy to put all the stuff in the container too, neither of us are shy of a bit of work if it saves a few quid, anyway he wants his flat screen!!

Will post as soon as I get the quote from Rob and I will mail two agents in Brissy tonight re: the other end.

Vics xxx
Old Jun 14th 2006, 11:54 pm
Account Closed

savanna454 is an unknown quantity at this point

No word from Rob yet, will give him till Friday. Had shippers round today for quotes (see 'how much did you pay for container' thread). Still think we will DIY at this moment in time if Robs quote comes in good. I know if I get the right boxes and packing stuff I can do it easy peasy, we will do it over a few weeks, a box a night/day or so. Huzza says he is quite happy to put all the stuff in the container too, neither of us are shy of a bit of work if it saves a few quid, anyway he wants his flat screen!!

Will post as soon as I get the quote from Rob and I will mail two agents in Brissy tonight re: the other end.

Vics xxx
Good on ya! We found DIY really quite straightforward and you'll save yourself at least £1K - 2K if you're prepared to pack. With the A$ weakening the OZ end will also be getting cheaper.

Best of luck

Ken & Sarah
Old Jun 17th 2006, 4:42 pm
ridiculous avatar

Jimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of light

Freightworld quoted £2550 door to bBrisbaneincl packing, £2100 you packing. inclusive of shipping cartons, bubble wrap and tape. Sofa covers/mamattressovers/other special cartons are extra, excludes insurance.

ExExecutivereight services (Rob) quoted £1825 for self pack, door to briBrisbaneInsurance, total loss £500, Full cover £990.

Waiting for Airsea to respond Brisbane end.

Life's getting a bit hectic. Have a great weekend all, get in the garden and start acclimatising!

Vics x
Old Jun 17th 2006, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Jimmy Cliff]Freightworld quoted £2550 door to bBrisbaneincl packing, £2100 you packing. inclusive of shipping cartons, bubble wrap and tape. Sofa covers/mamattressovers/other special cartons are extra, excludes insurance.

ExExecutivereight services (Rob) quoted £1825 for self pack, door to briBrisbaneInsurance, total loss £500, Full cover £990.

so vic, the freightworld £2100, is that for yuo loading aswell?
Old Jun 17th 2006, 6:00 pm
ridiculous avatar

so vic, the freightworld £2100, is that for yuo loading aswell?[/QUOTE]

Your typing is as bad as mine! been on the bevvy and trying to put this DIY shipping puzzle together! yes, or add £450 for them to pack.

Asking too if getting my own insurance is an option, Letton Percival apparenlty quote 1.5%.

Vics x
Old Jun 17th 2006, 6:08 pm
ridiculous avatar

Oh and www.bigyellow.co.uk/uk.php for all your sofa bags and stuff.
Old Jun 17th 2006, 11:15 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and www.bigyellow.co.uk/uk.php for all your sofa bags and stuff.

Ask freightworld for a discount on the sofa bags etc... they knocked us a bit off, can't remember how much though.

Debbie, I'm working on the insurance thing for you, they posted the invoice to my mum's and she reckons she may still have it somewhere so she's having a look through her paperwork this weekend for me.
Marie
Old Jun 18th 2006, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

so vic, the freightworld £2100, is that for yuo loading aswell?

Your typing is as bad as mine! been on the bevvy and trying to put this DIY shipping puzzle together! yes, or add £450 for them to pack.

Asking too if getting my own insurance is an option, Letton Percival apparenlty quote 1.5%.

Vics x [/QUOTE]

cheeky bugger i'm going to give them a call tommorow then cos they quoted me 2450 for self pack, but that does include loading and packaging.

marie, thanks for that and all the other info last week, your a star
Old Jun 18th 2006, 4:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by debbiemc

Vics x

cheeky bugger i'm going to give them a call tommorow then cos they quoted me 2450 for self pack, but that does include loading and packaging.

marie, thanks for that and all the other info last week, your a star [/QUOTE]

Think thats expensive!

We paid £1600 all in earlier this year and that obviously includes a profit for the shipping agent we used.

The 20' came up from Southampton docks early to Eversley and with the agent helping took 1.5 hours to load.

I'll try and find the details of the shipping line from my paperwork & post it here for those using Soton.

Should be even cheaper going direct.
Old Jun 18th 2006, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of

£1600 all in earlier this year and that obviously includes a profit for the shipping agent we used.

The 20' came up from Southampton docks early to Eversley and with the agent helping took 1.5 hours to load.

I'll try and find the details of the shipping line from my paperwork & post it here for those using Soton.

Should be even cheaper going direct.[/QUOTE]

that would be very useful. seems there are quite a few of us looking at the diy option.
cheers.
Old Jun 18th 2006, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to all

Got Crown to ship us the last time we went to Australia and they were excellent, nothing broken at all. Going for them this time again. They had our entire house packed,wrapped boxes marked and in container within 2 days. I wouldn't even consider trying to pack ourselves. We would have had to start packing months and months ago. If you can manage it well done, I dont think I could handle the hassle and worry on top of everything else.

Good luck anyway

Sandra
Old Jun 18th 2006, 7:58 pm
ridiculous avatar

Originally Posted by Sandra and Jim
Got Crown to ship us the last time we went to Australia and they were excellent, nothing broken at all. Going for them this time again. They had our entire house packed,wrapped boxes marked and in container within 2 days. I wouldn't even consider trying to pack ourselves. We would have had to start packing months and months ago. If you can manage it well done, I dont think I could handle the hassle and worry on top of everything else.

Good luck anyway

Sandra
Thanks for that Sandra and rpa34. Hoping we can do it ourselves however we have not ruled out D2D service.

Vics x
Old Jun 19th 2006, 2:36 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Sandra and Jim]Got Crown to ship us the last time we went to Australia and they were excellent, nothing broken at all. Going for them this time again. They had our entire house packed,wrapped boxes marked and in container within 2 days. I wouldn't even consider trying to pack ourselves. We would have had to start packing months and months ago. If you can manage it well done, I dont think I could handle the hassle and worry on top of everything else.

Good luck anyway

Would absolutely agree diy doesn't suit everyone!

To those people attracted to diy I would say for us the hassle factor with the shipping itself was minimal (good agents) but the packing & loading does involve a bit of graft.

We did however suffer one broken mug and a broken salad bowl (£20 quids worth) but as we saved £1500 over our cheapest "professional" quote we can live with that!

We used Delmon Export 07831 877549 email [email protected] but for those of you who would like to go direct - our 20' container was provided by Starlift Freight Services Ltd (for Sinostar Line). Tel:
020 8594 7676 Fax:020 8857 2886 email [email protected]

Not sure if they will deal with the public direct but best of luck!

Ken & Sarah