Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

DIY application or use an agent

DIY application or use an agent

Old May 19th 2003, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

swifty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DIY application or use an agent

Just back from 3 weeks in Perth visiting my parents and have got the urge. Im just at the start of the process and was wondering whether to try DIY or go with an agent.
What do people think.

Thanks
Old May 19th 2003, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

edwin is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it depends on your personal situation.If it's straight forward and easy you can do it yourself..if you are on the edge of what is possible i would say,go for an agent.
Old May 19th 2003, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

We did it ourselves because the hardest part appeared to be gathering all the information required and we couldn't see how an agent would help.

Mike.
Old May 19th 2003, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

nickielora is an unknown quantity at this point

if you have spare money to spent then use agent otherwise DIY
Old May 19th 2003, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Birdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DIY application or use an agent

Originally posted by swifty
Just back from 3 weeks in Perth visiting my parents and have got the urge. Im just at the start of the process and was wondering whether to try DIY or go with an agent.
What do people think.

Thanks
We used an agent, simply to put all the right peices of paper together at the right time in the right order to go to the right person in the right office at the right establishment. We still had to sort them in order to give to the agent though. Ours was very straight forward, but to be honest our agent offered a money back guarentee to getting accepted and that peace of mind was worth it. But then I am a lazy bastard by nature and not very organised so the agent was definatly worth paying for.
Old May 19th 2003, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Location: From Port Talbot, South Wales to Ascot Vale, Melbourne
jonah66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DIY application or use an agent

We did a DIY application. Had an agent at the start ..... but found that I was doin' all the work anyway!! So, told them I was not interested anymore .... applied under STNI on our own .... & got the visa approved on the 5th May!!

Regards
Old May 19th 2003, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Andrew P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Using an agent

Same answer as the above, unless you have a complicated application then do it yourself. I've found that with the help available on the site and elsewherew on the web, there isn't much you can't find out and there's generally someone that's been through what you have.

At the end of the day you still need to pull it all together and get everything done yourself. Why put money in to someone elses pocket unless you have to?
Old May 19th 2003, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

As others have said, if its a straight forward application, ie. you have easily have enough points and you have no complicated illness etc., do it yourself, just make sure you read the application form, then read it again, then read it again. !

If you want a list of sharks, sorry agents take a look at http://www.movingdownunder.co.uk/fil...ntagencies.php

Worth a scan anyway as they can also be a good source of free information.

Good luck.
Old May 19th 2003, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Location: From Port Talbot, South Wales to Ascot Vale, Melbourne
jonah66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Using an agent

Originally posted by Andrew P
At the end of the day you still need to pull it all together and get everything done yourself. Why put money in to someone elses pocket unless you have to?
Totally agree!

Old May 19th 2003, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

karlos is an unknown quantity at this point

We did it ourselves and didn't have too many problems. If you are committed to spending the time researching the requirements and pulling the paperwork together then you may wish to do it yourself.

If you have a completed case, want someone else to do the leg work or you aren't comfortable with the process then you may wish to hire an agent.

There are a number of agents who post very useful information on this site. I'm sure they would be able to appraise your case.

Good luck which ever route you take.

Regards
Karl.

PS Spend some time reading old posts on this site. They are a great source of information.