Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

diy or agent viewings?

diy or agent viewings?

Old Apr 13th 2005, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of
Default diy or agent viewings?

Hi

When I showed the agent round I was really confident about our wonderful house but just showed my first viewing round and was quite nervous - I kept spotting slight flaws in decorating, the lawn hadn't been mowed (we've been away), and other minor stuff (it's already been house doctored to within an inch of its life) - Anyway I've another viewing this afternoon and was wondering whether to ask the agent to do it. (Sounds great to have 2 in one day but I've been on the market a few weeks and the first interests just happened to be on the same day).

Any opinions out there as to whether it's better to do it yourself or have them do the job?

Only got a couple of hours to decide so early help would be gratefully received.

Carolyn
Old Apr 13th 2005, 9:30 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: diy or agent viewings?

the only reason i can think of for showing around yourself is so that the viewers can see how happy you have been there I assume) even if you haven't lie. i have been to houses shoen by seller and by agent. seller definately gives better impression (for me at least)

don't be worried, if you viewed a house where the grass was a bit long would it put you off. probably not, i think that they years of everything being spick and span are starting to wear off. houses are more about living now that they are so expensive, where as a few years ago it was all, i wonder if i could sell in 2 years and make a mint.

i am sure people will love your house. no worries. am sending karma to help.
louise
Old Apr 13th 2005, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by louise4
the only reason i can think of for showing around yourself is so that the viewers can see how happy you have been there I assume) even if you haven't lie. i have been to houses shoen by seller and by agent. seller definately gives better impression (for me at least)

don't be worried, if you viewed a house where the grass was a bit long would it put you off. probably not, i think that they years of everything being spick and span are starting to wear off. houses are more about living now that they are so expensive, where as a few years ago it was all, i wonder if i could sell in 2 years and make a mint.

i am sure people will love your house. no worries. am sending karma to help.
louise

Thanks Louise - 2nd viewing went much better. She's not even on the market yet but seemed genuinely interested and I got my confidence back.

Wish I didn't have such a short timescale. Husband leaves in 4 weeks and we want to follow in July.

Good luck with your plans and thanks for the encouragement.

Carolyn
Old Apr 13th 2005, 4:23 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Carolyn

We prefer to show viewers round ourselves (whenever possible) so that we can be sure that we point out all the good points and fend off any negativity! Of the viewings that we haven't done ourselves we have had 4 different members of staff from the estate agency showing people around and they can't possibly know the house as well as us.

Having said that, nobody appears to be the expert - approximately 30 viewings later and we still haven't sold the house :scared:

Hope you have more joy than us - good luck.

Binbird