Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Diving in Brisbane

Diving in Brisbane

Old Jun 10th 2004, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

carlos1340 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Diving in Brisbane

Can anyone tell me what the diving is like in the Brisbane area or am I going to have to travel a bit further afield?
Old Jun 10th 2004, 2:19 pm
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

I dive in Brisbane with a company called ProDive, who are extremely professional and very good. They go out on the boat 3-4 times a week, and have liveaboards as well. I've been diving up at Cairns as well, but I went on one day trip from Brisbane to a place called 'Coral Gardens' near Flinders Reef, and the dive was absolutely magnificent - even better than anything I had seen up in Cairns. Of course - the quality of the dives varies with the weather/viz/etc. Go slightly North and there are some good wreck dives, and if you go South (Byron Bay area) there are even more excellent diving areas.

So - in brief (and in my experience) - you will get plenty of diving from Brisbane - but its boat diving. You'd have to go further afield to get good shore dives.

W.
Old Jun 10th 2004, 11:19 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Wanderlust
Hi,

I dive in Brisbane with a company called ProDive, who are extremely professional and very good. They go out on the boat 3-4 times a week, and have liveaboards as well. I've been diving up at Cairns as well, but I went on one day trip from Brisbane to a place called 'Coral Gardens' near Flinders Reef, and the dive was absolutely magnificent - even better than anything I had seen up in Cairns. Of course - the quality of the dives varies with the weather/viz/etc. Go slightly North and there are some good wreck dives, and if you go South (Byron Bay area) there are even more excellent diving areas.

So - in brief (and in my experience) - you will get plenty of diving from Brisbane - but its boat diving. You'd have to go further afield to get good shore dives.

W.
Wunderlust

Just butting in here - how far out do you sail before diving? I know up in Cairns its over two hours, is it the same from Brissie?
Old Jun 11th 2004, 11:45 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Hiya,

Yes - between an hour and two hours to the good spots.... but there may be some closer that I just dont know about.

W.