Reload this Page >

Diving in and around Mel / Vic - Any ideas

Diving in and around Mel / Vic - Any ideas

Old Jul 1st 2004, 8:59 am
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Diving in and around Mel / Vic - Any ideas

Morning all,

I will be landing in Melbourne on 29 July 04 and will obviously have a million and one things to sort. I want over time to be able to do a basic / novice dive course of some variety that will enable me to dive in open waters (I believe the basic qual is 'Open water 1'), join a dive club and enjoy the waters in and around Oz (and the world).

Can anybody point me in the right direction for dive clubs, courses and the like that are in and around Melbourne??? Any info would be appreciated.

Ian J
Old Jul 1st 2004, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Al H is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Diving in and around Mel / Vic - Any ideas

Ian

Try looking at this web site http://www.underwater.com.au/ and then searching in Victoria. You will get a list of dive shops you will run courses for you. I have never dived around Victoria, but it will be cold. This is good becuase it teaches you how to dive in cold conditions, but bad because unless you have the right kit (the dive shop should provide this) you will be freezing. Most people learn with PADI (Open Water Course), and their certification will be recoginsed around the world. However, they are not known as "Put Another Dollar In" for nothing. Diving can become an expenisve hobby, but great fun.

Have you thought about taking the easy way out and doing your course on the Barrier Reef? There are loads of good dive schools in and around Carins/Townsville etc and you will get nice warm water and lots of fish life which is great fun for a novice diver.

Anyway, whatever you do have fun

Alastair

Originally posted by ianj
Morning all,

I will be landing in Melbourne on 29 July 04 and will obviously have a million and one things to sort. I want over time to be able to do a basic / novice dive course of some variety that will enable me to dive in open waters (I believe the basic qual is 'Open water 1'), join a dive club and enjoy the waters in and around Oz (and the world).

Can anybody point me in the right direction for dive clubs, courses and the like that are in and around Melbourne??? Any info would be appreciated.

Ian J
Old Jul 1st 2004, 12:52 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

Thanks for the info Al,

I will take a look at the link and see what gives. I may well look at the Cairns thing as diving (learning to dive on the reef) would be the ultimate. I dont know if I would go mad with it as a hobby and end up spending a mint on kit but then again, you never know. Just to be able to be qualified to do open water dives initially would be good. I know what you mean about the cold water as well........

that said though it wouldn't be as cold as diving here in the water around the UK :scared:
Old Jul 1st 2004, 1:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ian,
Just to make sure you are still thinking of me (tee hee!!)

I think HUP did a diving course in Melbourne; maybe try pm'ing him or Hevs?

Polly
Old Jul 1st 2004, 1:09 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

Why of course Pol,

Elvis summed it up quite well.............'You are always on my mind'

I am only human after all

Thanks for the info, I will PM Hup
Old Jul 1st 2004, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Marakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Al H
Ian

Try looking at this web site http://www.underwater.com.au/ and then searching in Victoria. You will get a list of dive shops you will run courses for you. I have never dived around Victoria, but it will be cold. This is good becuase it teaches you how to dive in cold conditions, but bad because unless you have the right kit (the dive shop should provide this) you will be freezing. Most people learn with PADI (Open Water Course), and their certification will be recoginsed around the world. However, they are not known as "Put Another Dollar In" for nothing. Diving can become an expenisve hobby, but great fun.

If your have a European dive rating, especially an advanced one and the dive shops are all PADI, try and find one that will recognize and transfer your ratings for free!

I was able to get PADI Rescue Diver without putting down a cent. But, as above it won't always work with Put Another Dollar In.

Mike
Old Jul 1st 2004, 2:12 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

thanks for the info one and all
Old Jul 1st 2004, 3:06 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

One of my stat dec aus people is a dive master in Cairns, I can get his company details if interested.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 3:23 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

That would be good Miss MoneyPen......

Shaken....not stirred.......I believe