British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Display Homes - How do they work (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/display-homes-how-do-they-work-517359/)

Mairead Feb 26th 2008 5:35 pm

Display Homes - How do they work

Hi All,

Just wondering about display homes. I have noticed on a few it say lease back option which I believe the builder rents it back from you for a certain period of time. Is this always the case? Do you have a choice whether or not to lease it to the builder?

I'm also wondering how cost effective they are as opposed to building the same yourself?

Thanks

Mairead

POW148 Feb 26th 2008 5:59 pm

Re: Display Homes - How do they work

Originally Posted by Mairead (Post 5986212)
Hi All,

Just wondering about display homes. I have noticed on a few it say lease back option which I believe the builder rents it back from you for a certain period of time. Is this always the case? Do you have a choice whether or not to lease it to the builder?

I'm also wondering how cost effective they are as opposed to building the same yourself?

Thanks

Mairead

My understanding is that you pay the builder to build the house, he then rents it back for a duration of time and uses this house as a show house-home-come-office for all perspective buyers. This is usually the case when lots of house/land packages are up for sale from the builder. It is a cheap way for the builder to advertise his houses with very minimal cost to the building company. You will be paid "rent" for the use of your house for the period of time that the builder uses.

It can be a good way to start as you will be having the place rented out for the first year with someone who will take great care of the place.

Barney:thumbup:

Mairead Feb 26th 2008 7:01 pm

Thanks Barney. Are all display homes the same? Meaning is it possible to buy one that you could move into straight away? Also are they less expensive than building building yourself?

Timber Floor Au Feb 26th 2008 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Mairead (Post 5986533)
Thanks Barney. Are all display homes the same? Meaning is it possible to buy one that you could move into straight away? Also are they less expensive than building building yourself?

yes many do.

Try any of the major builders, they will have advertising, saying DISPLAYS FOR SALE

Ste

AndyR1976 Feb 26th 2008 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Mairead (Post 5986533)

There are also display homes that they build that you CAN'T move into....

Basically, a large home building company builds a house that you pay for....they guarantee to rent it from you for, say 3 years.....

IN that time they sue it as a display home, shoowing off how good their building work is and giving people ideas for kitchen options etc etc...

After the 3 years you get to move in...

This is how I have seen it work - I've not seen it work where you can move in straight away so can't comment on that one.

herrchook Feb 27th 2008 12:02 am

There are loads of Henley display homes up for sale around Melbour ne right now and by the looks of the price, they are a lot higher than you'd normally expect to pay if you were building yourself. The reason must be due to the high spec of the show homes and the landscaped gardens etc.

Check them out on realestate.com.au.

Libby1971 Feb 27th 2008 12:17 am

Hi

You can't move into them while they are being used as a display home. They are generally much more expensive than having one away from a display village. The gardens are usually very small.

Libby

Mairead Feb 27th 2008 7:03 am

Thanks Guys exactly what I needed to know. I have noticed alright that the gardens appear to be much smaller!!